Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the excessive post

We just got our X a month ago and had some trim issues along with some other minor details. Their concierge service came with a loaner S. It took them 2 days to fix the FWD alignment. They called on a Friday afternoon to say that everything was completed. My wife called me immediately to come home to help her inspect the car (2 sets of eyes are better than 1). Unfortunately I missed the delivery guy by just minutes. All the trim issue looked good, but upon inspection there was a long scratch along the driver side rear panel and rim. I called Tesla and they claim complete ignorance of what may have happened. When I reviewed security footage from my home camera, we found the delivery guy hitting the closing gate as he drove in (probably why he was in such a rush to finish the delivery). We called them hoping on repair at no charge and an apology. They wanted the video footage as evidence before they would do anything (fine we had nothing to hide). But no apology only a lecture. Our home gate “cannot detect an object in its path and then automatically stop and reverse.” Therefore the homelink should not be programmed to auto open. My issues are the following. The delivery guy obviously knew that he hit the gate but chose to hide the fact (they even tried to blame us). Secondly the guy should have parked the car in the driveway (50 feet of driveway with so plenty of parking). He instead decided to drive into my gate and park in the backyard. Third, the gate begins opening/closing when you turn up the driveway. For the gate to close on him as he passes he would need to drive 40 mph to catch the gate (I usually catch the gate midway opening when I drive up). We love the car and the warranty but not their customer service and some of their people. They’re finally coming tomorrow to fix the scratches. I’ve disable all auto open and close. Hopefully everything gets fixed and we don’t get blamed for anything else. Still no apology. So please read the owner’s manual carefully before setting up homelink.

• Informative
Reactions: Leodoc
Homelink is more of a problem then it is worth because there is no separate control for open and close. I do have my garage door auto open when I'm driving up my driveway, but if it is already open I have to either select to skip or open it manually to reverse it closing. And I won't have it auto-close. Your gate is a different situation. I understand why you are upset, but my guess is the guy had no knowledge the gate would auto close on him. This is a case where Tesla technology is way ahead of the current technology.

I am interested to see how you design this combination. I have a myQ capable opener and planning to get the smart things hub.
Picked up my X yesterday, but it went straight to detailers for XPel. Not sure how I'm going to set it up yet, but one option is to open the garage door when I arrive at home. I currently have a setup that my outdoor lights go on for 20 minutes when I return home after dark, so it would be very similar to that. I'm not sure what I would do for closing yet.

I'll first see how HomeLink works for me before trying SmartThings App.