TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HomeLink question

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Cultgti, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Cultgti

Cultgti Member

If some one purchased homelink and never had it installed could I purchase it and have Tesla mobile install it and will the software option be added to my operational screen?

2. vjason

vjason Member

I think it requires a SC visit (per other posts).

3. Cultgti

Cultgti Member

So best to have the person selling the unit meet me at the SC to verify I can get the unit installed and software unlocked?

4. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

It needs to be activated by Tesla, but I am fairly certain that I remember reading someone here self installing it and getting Tesla to activate it. I also remember reading many posts here where its installed by tesla mobile rangers (mobile service) so I dont think one has to actually go to the SC to do it, mobile can do it too.

5. Cultgti

Cultgti Member

Buying it from another model 3 owner and me getting it installed is my concern. I don't want to be out of pocket more then the cost of purchasing it from the seller. Just trying to be sure Tesla won't have issue with installing it.

6. jjrandorin

Im fairly certain that tesla is going to charge you to install it, and or activate it. From what I remember of the thread where someone self installed, I seem to remember tesla charging them a fee to activate it... like $50 or so, but going from memory. you need to call a service center and ask them.

The purchase price from tesla of $300 includes installation. You need to be getting the device from this private seller for a price that ends up being cheaper than buying from tesla, and you also need to take the same precautions you would take buying ANY electronics from a private seller. How do you know they didnt try to install it and mess it up (for example)?

Why would someone buy this (when it comes included with installation) then not install it, and try to sell it?

My risk tolerance is very low, and I dont think I could save enough money to make it worth my while. They would have to be giving it to me for free for me to even consider it, but as I said, my risk tolerance is low. Maybe yours is higher, but know that tesla is likely going to charge you to install it, and it costs $300 installed from tesla. Tesla labor rates are like 195 an hour or something. If they are going to install it, they will activate it, but I suspect that charge would be around an hour of labor if they install (they certainly are not going to install for free).

If you install, and they just have to activate, its likely less, but not free.

Here is a 68 post thread I found by searching for "homelink" here on TMC

How to install homelink module?

(figured this was a little friendlier than saying "use search and look for it, there are threads on it"

• Like x 1
  7. vjason

vjason Member

I think part of the issue is that they stopped putting the bracket on newer cars, so you may need that too.

Plus I swear a thread said they are charging an hour labor now, which can make buying aftermarket more expensive.

All you can do is ask, the procedure and cost may vault from one geo to the next.

8. jjrandorin

$300 from tesla, including installation AFAIK, vs

?? Private party seller price
    150-200 for tesla to install it and activate it, or
    $50-75 for tesla to activate it if you self install.

What does one have to buy this for from a private party to make it worth the hassle.. especially if you are not going to self install it? Even if the private party is charging $75 for it (as an example) total savings would be like $25 to $50, if you pay tesla to install it. I am not sure how this pencils out, unless a person is going to install it themselves. It doesnt sound like this OP is planning on that based on the original question, so I think if OP plans on getting homelink they should plan on just buying it from tesla itself.

9. Cultgti

Cultgti Member

I could buy the homelink for half off. My thinking was since its never been installed the accompanied install cost follows the initial purchase.

10. jjrandorin

So you are looking at $150 for the item itself, and tesla is going to charge you to install it. In the thread I linked you to above, people are mentioning tesla is charging an hours labor to program it to the car ($195). I doubt very seriously tesla is going to say that the install follows the part, or none of these people would have been quoted a price to install it..

With that being said, you can certainly ask, but I would recommend you ask, and get in writing anything tesla tells you regarding installing this, AND be CLEAR that it would be you bringing in a home link part for them to install that was not purchased directly from tesla. If you dont, its likely that you ask something like "will you install my homelink for me?" and they offhandledly say "sure homelink comes with installation", without it being clear they are talking about "if purchased directly from tesla".

11. Mr. Big

Mr. Big Member

It can be installed by mobile service. Mine was installed this afternoon even though I live fairly close to a service center.

12. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

I think a more accurate statement is a Tesla tech needs physical access to the car to activate. So it’s either a SC visit or Mobile Service. There’s no way to self-install and have Tesla activate over the air

13. jeffnz

jeffnz Member

Right. Mine was also installed by mobile service. Took about 45 mins total and he had to plug his laptop into the car to activate it.