Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the manual-open "button" is this tiny drop-down on the top right corner of the display next to LTE icon, with the name of the gate/device. It's hard to press accurately, especially while moving. Auto open is much simpler.

Now that's awesome and a great solution!! Thanks!!!
They also have ones, where the module is actually a universal remote, and then it has a wireless position sensor. Those are compatible with more types of openers, as I believe the one linked above only works with openers that utilize an intermittent switch to open/close the door. My opener uses USB from the opener to the wall switch, so that wire isn't compatible with intermittent switch type controllers.

Reactions: FloridaSun
I tend to shuffle around cars. I also have my compressor in one garage and if I need to inflate my tires, I need that garage door open. I have two 2 car garage doors and two 1 car garage doors. I also have the driveway gate.. The main garage that we are using is the 2 car garage with the BMW i3 and the Tesla.. The 4 car garage has our trailer that I will pull with the Tesla occasionally, my Kona Electric (which is going to be gone soon), my parents car (that they are using when they are visiting), the riding mower and yard equipment and my compressor.. Sometimes we swap spaces between the i3 and the Model Y because of the location of the charger, so I need at least the two garage doors on the 2 car garage on homelink.. Then I also need the gate.. So, that would already use up the available 3 slots.. When I want to get the trailer or put air in the tires etc., I won't be able to do it from the car without carrying those extra remotes with me...
Couldn't you configure your openers, so two doors open with the same remote? That way you can have one homelink position operate the door where you park, then the other operates the doors for the compressor/trailer simultaneously... Then the third for the gate.

Can you manually open and close the garage door via the touchscreen after home link install? I’m interested in getting it, but not really interested in the “auto” feature.
I just disabled my Homelink. It works most of the time, but is open when I don’t want that or closes when I don’t want that either. The good old clicker works fine

Couldn't you configure your openers, so two doors open with the same remote? That way you can have one homelink position operate the door where you park, then the other operates the doors for the compressor/trailer simultaneously... Then the third for the gate.
It would be an option but I really like the Wifi garage door solution. I can open and close them from anywhere with my phone.

It would be an option but I really like the Wifi garage door solution. I can open and close them from anywhere with my phone.
If you get the chamberlain MyQ Smart Hub, you can control all your garage doors and your gate from the phone app/wifi. That's what I use. It's basically a wifi enabled univeral remote, that you mount in your garage (or anywhere really), as it supports lots of different brands of openers. It uses a wireless tilt sensor for the Open/Close detection, so I'm not sure how that would work with a gate, but I'm sure you can rig something that would trigger the tilt sensor when you open/close the gate. Then you could use wifi/phone to open all your doors, gate, etc.

Reactions: FloridaSun
The lack of Homelink on new Tesla’s sucks! I get it.. it was a business decision from Tesla. Why include something for free when they will just buy it? They are in business of making money… so I’m not that upset.
But.. (lol) every vehicle I’ve had before SparkPlug (that’s what I named my MY) has had built-in Homelink and I’ve gotten used to having it.
mite been 2 months and using the old school “clicker” isn’t all that bad.. not bad enough to justify spending $300 on a non-necessity. But hearing now that you can program it with proximity has me intrigued..

I find it more odd that my car has a heated steering wheel when it’s bound for Southern California. I would have rather Telsa saved the heater wheel for someone who actually needs/wants it and gave me a Homelink instead.

Mobile service just came and installed my Homelink yesterday. No regrets on that purchase, I love the automatic open/close as I approach and leave (along with the auto-mirror fold!). Plus, once Advanced Summon is restored, then it will use the unit to auto open/close the garage door with summon.

I say this as someone who already has MyQ configured (mine is hacked through HomeBridge into iOS HomeKit rather than buying the $100 accessory to link the already wifi capable expensive garage doors to HomeKit) to open/close with my phone and Siri.

CAVEAT to the phone solution: Using WiFi/HomeKit/Other-Home-Automation means that you are sending a WiFi signal to the garage doors instead of a line-of-sight radio signal. Since you don't have to be present to close the door via WiFi, the additional safeties means that it will beep-beep-beep and pause before closing in case someone is in the way, or about to be (I have LiftMaster openers, the pro version of the Chamberlain with MyQ integrated). Because of that caveat, I prefer to use HomeLink or remotes/keypads over using iPhone/Siri to close doors.

But with the phone solution, in the MyQ app, I can also program notifications that pop up if my garage door is open longer than a preset time. I also have automations if my garage gets too hot, then the garage doors will open (if I am at home and during certain hours) to vent the heat a bit.

Mobile service just came and installed my Homelink yesterday. No regrets on that purchase, I love the automatic open/close as I approach and leave (along with the auto-mirror fold!). Plus, once Advanced Summon is restored, then it will use the unit to auto open/close the garage door with summon.

I say this as someone who already has MyQ configured (mine is hacked through HomeBridge into iOS HomeKit rather than buying the $100 accessory to link the already wifi capable expensive garage doors to HomeKit) to open/close with my phone and Siri.

CAVEAT to the phone solution: Using WiFi/HomeKit/Other-Home-Automation means that you are sending a WiFi signal to the garage doors instead of a line-of-sight radio signal. Since you don't have to be present to close the door via WiFi, the additional safeties means that it will beep-beep-beep and pause before closing in case someone is in the way, or about to be (I have LiftMaster openers, the pro version of the Chamberlain with MyQ integrated). Because of that caveat, I prefer to use HomeLink or remotes/keypads over using iPhone/Siri to close doors.

But with the phone solution, in the MyQ app, I can also program notifications that pop up if my garage door is open longer than a preset time. I also have automations if my garage gets too hot, then the garage doors will open (if I am at home and during certain hours) to vent the heat a bit.
The other caveat, is that if somethign does get in the way... With Homelink, you can just hit the button again... With MyQ, it gives you that stupid error saying obstruction, and forces you to either go into the garage and close it directly, or use a clicker.

I bought the Tesla Homelink and have zero regrets. The auto-open upon arrival at home is priceless. And you can adjust from how far way it triggers the signal (e.g. 40 ft from gate, so its fully open by the time you approach). No need to mess with remotes/touchscreen/phones at all.

(My garage gate auto-closes after some time, so I don't use the auto-close function in the Tesla Homelink)
What if the garage is already open when you arrive home (eg family member is doing yard work, etc... if I pull up will homelink shut the garage instead of leaving it open?

What if the garage is already open when you arrive home (eg family member is doing yard work, etc... if I pull up will homelink shut the garage instead of leaving it open?
I only have it set up for Auto Open. Upon arriving at the bottom of our ~70 ft driveway it brings up the Homelink menu listing doors and an option to cancel (I forget the exact words) comes up and you can stop execution of that event. That's helpful in exactly the situation when somebody already has the door open.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
I have MyQ and it works but often sucks. The notifications are always incredibly delayed. I have to reset the bridge every few weeks due to no response. It’s useful 90% of the time but lacks significantly during those other 10%. It was a PITA to set up too.

Question for home link users—how far away can it activate the garage door opener?

Reactions: JohnnyMa
I have MyQ and it works but often sucks. The notifications are always incredibly delayed. I have to reset the bridge every few weeks due to no response. It’s useful 90% of the time but lacks significantly during those other 10%. It was a PITA to set up too.

Question for home link users—how far away can it activate the garage door opener?
MyQ via homebridge is a bit more stable and quicker to notify, but I still prefer home link.

range is pretty much the same as the remotes you get with the openers. Maybe a little farther.