Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my homelink setup to open the garage door at 40 feet away. It works well...however, when my garage door is open, and I pull into the driveway, it closes the garage door. Well that's stupid. Does the homelink really not recognize that my garage door is already open? Is there a workaround to this?

It does not know whether your garage is open or closed, as it's the same signal either way. It assumes the door is open when you pull out of the garage, and the signal should close it. Then when you come home, it sends the same signal which opens it. If you've changed the state of the door in-between then such that it's already open when you come home, then yes it will try to close it. Tesla offers a sort of "work-around" for this by offering the ability to skip sending the signal for this specific instance. But it's not a two way communication link, there is no way for the car to really know if the door is open or closed. It would be cool to do some kind of visual recognition with the cameras, but that's a whole different topic...

I have my homelink setup to open the garage door at 40 feet away. It works well...however, when my garage door is open, and I pull into the driveway, it closes the garage door. Well that's stupid. Does the homelink really not recognize that my garage door is already open? Is there a workaround to this?

Your standard garage door is only receiving a signal to operate. The homelink built into the model 3 is the same homelink transmitter that has been used in cars for years. There is no way for it to know "current state" of your door. It simply transmits a signal to operate just like pushing the button on your garage door opener remote.

There is no way for it to know "current state" of your door.
Not entirely correct. I am relatively certain if Tesla integrated with MyQ (Liftmaster & Chamberlain and can be added to all) and provided your credentials to the car (as you for for Spotify, Slacker, and TuneIn) they could relatively easily have very reliable knowledge of the current door state (open, closed). You can link these to IFTT today.

Not entirely correct. I am relatively certain if Tesla integrated with MyQ (Liftmaster & Chamberlain and can be added to all) and provided your credentials to the car (as you for for Spotify, Slacker, and TuneIn) they could relatively easily have very reliable knowledge of the current door state (open, closed). You can link these to IFTT today.

I know myq says it knows current state ( I have a liftmaster garage door myself with myq). Are you stating that there is a way to currently link teslas homelink with If this then that (IFTT) right now, and that can work with teslas location aware feature in homelink to not send a signal to the garage door if its open?

I know myq says it knows current state ( I have a liftmaster garage door myself with myq). Are you stating that there is a way to currently link teslas homelink with If this then that (IFTT) right now, and that can work with teslas location aware feature in homelink to not send a signal to the garage door if its open?
Not saying it's possible today just saying it's not impossible (haven't looked into IFTT automation myself). If Tesla wanted to do it, they could pretty readily. My guess is they will need to fully enable the enable the robo-taxi fleet, and allow the car to go in autonomously for service/recall work.

Not saying it's possible today just saying it's not impossible (haven't looked into IFTT automation myself). If Tesla wanted to do it, they could pretty readily. My guess is they will need to fully enable the enable the robo-taxi fleet, and allow the car to go in autonomously for service/recall work.

Ok, gotcha.

I still stand by my original statement that there is no way for the homelink device in the car to know current state of the garage door. It could likely be programmed around in software if one has the appropriate garage door opener.

Not everyone has a myq enabled garage door opener, for example. Just becuse something might be possible with a specific set of hardware combination, doesnt mean its available to everyone.

Tesla absolutely could program this type of functionality into their software that says IF you have this type of garage door opener and IF its web connected and IF you have an account with it, then you could do X, Y and Z, but its not built into the car at that point, its relying on other stuff. That also leaves out the majority of people who dont meet those criteria, would would simply flock to social media and complain about "why doesnt this work for me?"

Reactions: shingles
Good point about the robo-taxi. The garage door function would have to work WAY more reliably to do it without a person in the car.
Yep, but now that I think about it - there is a way smarter way to do this that is not tied to any manufacturer and needs no integration. Use the vision systems and AI. There is probablistically never a situation either inside the garage or out when the car needs to know if the garage door is open or not when it can't see the door with the camera's. If the Ai has gotten good enough to see a stop sign, a red light (and color), traffic cones, left turn lanes, et al, seriously it's gotta be good enough to see a garage door. If the car can use AI to predict whether your need to be in PRND well enough to obligate the stalk, this seems relatively minor.

Now I gotta ask myself - did I pay $300 to train the AI?! - I really hope so!!! Man I love progress.