Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Sending Open Signal too Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a problem I am having with my new MS60 and Homelink. Everything works fine with it, except that it automatically sends the Open garage door signal before I enter my driveway and stops transmitting it by the time I pull into my driveway. So I have to manually transmit the Open signal again once I get into my driveway. Because of the location of my garage opener receiver, it will only open if the transmitter is in my driveway, not in the street. I can see that the Homelink signal is being transmitted automatically by my MS every time I get close to my home, and it always works when I manually activate the signal from my car. I have tried resetting the location in Homelink to two different locations and it hasn't helped. One location is inside my garage, and the other is with my MS front bumper a foot away from the garage door. Neither of these locations helped solve the problem. The problem is that the MS transmits the signal too early and stops transmitting it before the MS gets within range of the garage opener receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions that might get this working for the automatic opening of my garage door?

Call tesla support (877) 798-3752 they are the tech support in Fremont and usually can solve your issues. Tell them what you've already done. But I would recommend a center screen reboot while parked in your driveway right in front of your garage then reprogramming the home link when the reboot is complete.

It took me several passes until I could get the trigger point to lock onto a point in my driveway - and now it works pretty well.

Though, due to the inability of Homelink to detect the current state of the door, the auto open/close can cause some unexpected behavior and needs to be monitored when it is triggered. For example, if the garage is already open when you approach it, if you aren't paying attention Homelink will send a command to the garage door - and it will start closing the door as you are entering the garage. If the sensors at the bottom of the garage door are working and configured properly, the door should sense your car - and stop the closing. But it can be surprising to see the door start to close with the front of your car partway into the garage.

The other problem I've found is that if you have the garage door closed - and you have your car parked outside - and then leave the house, the Homelink can be believe you are trying to enter the garage, and send an open command when you are driving away. And if you aren't paying attention, you'll leave the garage door open.

There is a WiFi add-on for Homelink that talks to newer garage door openers. This interface knows the state of the door, whether it's open or closed - and if Tesla provided that connection as an alternative to using the older Homelink interface - we'd have more control over the garage door. When the car wants to open the garage door - it would know if the door was open already. And when you pulled away from your garage, the software could even issue a warning the you've left the garage door open.

Overall, I like this new feature that was added to my "classic" P85 - and it works well, in most cases.

• Informative
Reactions: nuevodesi
It took me several passes until I could get the trigger point to lock onto a point in my driveway - and now it works pretty well.

When you say "several passes" do you mean that you selected "reset location" on the Homelink screen or did you completely reprogram the Homelink? Did you just keep doing this in the same location in your drive and then it worked, or did you move to different locations in your driveway and then it finally worked? In my case, manual operation of the Homelink is very reliable so I don't think I need to reprogram the Homelink device. But I will try rebooting the center screen.

I have not yet experienced what you described about the MS knowing the state (e.g. Open or Closed) of the garage door when transmitting the Homelink Open or Close commands. Presently I only the automatic Open commands being sent by my MS because I wanted to make sure that worked well before trying automatic Close commands.

I have the same problem as OP, although not as severe. Mine works half the time. If I drive a little faster entering my drive way, the tailend of the signal will reach my garage and open it. But if I drive slow, it usually doesn't open. It would be good if they can have an option to specify how long to transmit the signal. That would fix it. Or maybe make the distance configurable. It seems that when it's within 5m, that's when it will trigger. But at 5m, I'm still not in my drive way.

There is a WiFi add-on for Homelink that talks to newer garage door openers. This interface knows the state of the door, whether it's open or closed - and if Tesla provided that connection as an alternative to using the older Homelink interface - we'd have more control over the garage door. When the car wants to open the garage door - it would know if the door was open already. And when you pulled away from your garage, the software could even issue a warning the you've left the garage door open.
You could probably create a way to do this via the Tesla web browser as long as there was an open API for the systems that you are talking about. One of them is the Chamberlain MyQ system and I think it has an API.

Reactions: George Jetson
Here's a problem I am having with my new MS60 and Homelink. Everything works fine with it, except that it automatically sends the Open garage door signal before I enter my driveway and stops transmitting it by the time I pull into my driveway. So I have to manually transmit the Open signal again once I get into my driveway. Because of the location of my garage opener receiver, it will only open if the transmitter is in my driveway, not in the street. I can see that the Homelink signal is being transmitted automatically by my MS every time I get close to my home, and it always works when I manually activate the signal from my car. I have tried resetting the location in Homelink to two different locations and it hasn't helped. One location is inside my garage, and the other is with my MS front bumper a foot away from the garage door. Neither of these locations helped solve the problem. The problem is that the MS transmits the signal too early and stops transmitting it before the MS gets within range of the garage opener receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions that might get this working for the automatic opening of my garage door?

I have the same issue, and it rarely opens the door while driving in. When I manually press it though, it does open. I'd be interested to know when it is resolved and how it is resolved.

I'm the OP and I still have not resolved this. I have been manually pressing the Homelink button when I get closer to the garage door to open it. I tried resetting the location on the Homelink settings in the MS at many different locations near my driveway, and even inside my garage Unfortunately it still transmits the signal too early and stops transmitting when I get within range of the garage door receiver. I did try to increase the range of the garage door receiver by adding an external antenna purchased in a kit on Amazon. Basically it is a shielded RG6 coaxial cable with a small antenna that is put outside of the garage. I really thought that was going to work but unfortunately it did not make a difference.

I have the same problem and it works about half the time. Mine is due to the way my garage is oriented to the street and driveway. I drive past the garage on the street, then turn into the driveway that then turns back to the garage. This means that the GPS tends to think I am at the right spot and tries to open the door before the car is pointed at the garage. The transmitter from the car seems to have a narrow field requiring proper "aim" -- or my garage sensors are weak.

Thanks OP for posting that the antenna receiver booster did not seem to help. It sure seems like that would help.

It sounds like your GPS is not accurate in this case. I would try marking a location away from the garage, maybe in two or three different locations......then see where the transmitter triggers. This may give you a clue as to whats going on.

Thanks for the suggestion. The GPS location seems to be accurate because I have tried doing what you suggested by resetting the location at different locations on my street. For example, I drove two houses down the street and reset the location. Then I drove around the block to see where the MS would send the Homelink signal. It sent the Homelink signal when I got close to my neighbors house (where I reset the location), but of course that doesn't help me get my garage open. I was thinking if I could put my MS in my back yard behind my house, and then reset the location, this might work because the Homelink signal probably would not be sent by the car until I got very close to my garage door. But I would need a crane to lift my MS over my house into my backyard unless there is a way I can trick the MS into thinking it was in my backyard by manually entering the GPS location of my backyard.

Can you elaborate a little more on this? Do you mean LED light bulbs located near the garage opener? I haven't heard of this before.

I replaced my 2 CFL bulbs in my Chamberlain opener when I replaced the emergency battery. I used LED bulbs since that is what I had.

We noticed that the garage door was behaving erratically. Sometimes it would open/close at a long distance, other times we had be right up in the driveway.

In our case, we just tolerate it. We are used to it's behavior.

Read this:

How LED Lights Can Cause Problems With Your Garage Door Opener

I had the same problem. Here is how I dealt with it.

Just to the west of my garage opening is my side lawn area. I merely drove onto the lawn and set the GPS location there. Then I tested it and after a couple of tries I got the precise location needed to trigger the garage door opening when I drive into the driveway. I'm just lucky I had a lawn to drive onto in this specific case. And in my situation I can keep my led bulbs too.

I replaced my 2 CFL bulbs in my Chamberlain opener when I replaced the emergency battery. I used LED bulbs since that is what I had.

We noticed that the garage door was behaving erratically. Sometimes it would open/close at a long distance, other times we had be right up in the driveway.

In our case, we just tolerate it. We are used to it's behavior.

Read this:

How LED Lights Can Cause Problems With Your Garage Door Opener

I was really hoping this was causing the problem. I removed the LED bulbs but unfortunately it did not help. But my garage door opener has external LED lights so they are not near the receiver.