Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Sending Open Signal too Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marking a location? How do u do that? I don't remember that as part of the home link set up

In the Homelink settings there is a link to reset the location. The initial Homelink programming instructions say to program the Homelink right in front of the garage door in the driveway. During the initial programming it locks in this location. But to update the location without having to delete and reprogram the device, the reset location link can be used. I have used this a lot trying to lock in a location where my MS will open my garage door when arriving home.

In the Homelink settings there is a link to reset the location. The initial Homelink programming instructions say to program the Homelink right in front of the garage door in the driveway. During the initial programming it locks in this location. But to update the location without having to delete and reprogram the device, the reset location link can be used. I have used this a lot trying to lock in a location where my MS will open my garage door when arriving home.

Oh, okay, thanks. So generally, should you be setting the location closer to the garage door, or farther away?

Oh, okay, thanks. So generally, should you be setting the location closer to the garage door, or farther away?

It's best to begin with the nose of your car close to the garage door. If the car will not automatically open the garage door with that setting you could try resetting the location with your car in a different location. In my case, that would need to be closer to the garage door, which is not possible because the car is as close the the door as possible. I have also tried it with the car inside the garage but the extra 10 feet doesn't make a difference.

So here is a crazy thing; four times this summer on extended trips away from home we came back to find our garage door wide open. We are absolutely positive it was closed when we pulled out of our driveway, which is 50 yards from our garage. How in the heck is Home Link opening our garage when we are on the road hundreds of miles away??

Picked up my Model S last week and I too am having the same issue with my short driveway. I called Tesla support as suggested in the second post. They referred me to Homelink support. I called them and they had no answers. I suggested being able to set the distance to trigger the signal be a proposed feature request to the system. The lady said she would pass that along to someone at Homelink. My wife suggested tweeting Elon Musk. "I know you're busy launching rockets and all, but my garage door just doesn't open automatically...."

I have this problem too. I've got a z-wave system in my house as well that can control my garage doors and thought I could set up something using Eve Connect for Tesla, but for some reason Smart Things (the hub I use) only allows IFTTT to trigger switches and not garage door openers, so that didn't help either.

I can't believe there is no way to adjust the distance from the GPS location where Homelink triggers the signal. That seems like a basic feature that they should have included.

Last edited:
You could probably create a way to do this via the Tesla web browser as long as there was an open API for the systems that you are talking about. One of them is the Chamberlain MyQ system and I think it has an API.
The other nice thing about the MyQ is that it sounds a beeper when automatically closing the door unlike the Homelink. I'd be really interested to see if there was a way to integrate the geofencing of Homelink with the door status state of MyQ. I've been checking the MyQ when I get to work sometimes just to be sure the door closed after I pulled away.

I just picked up my new Model S and setup Homelink with no problems. I have a older opener which I was told would work very well. On my way into the garage the door began closing. This opener was before the days of electric eyes. I speed into the garage with my wife was going insane. Is there any reason for this? Anything I can do to prevent this stressful trip inside my garage?

I just picked up my new Model S and setup Homelink with no problems. I have a older opener which I was told would work very well. On my way into the garage the door began closing. This opener was before the days of electric eyes. I speed into the garage with my wife was going insane. Is there any reason for this? Anything I can do to prevent this stressful trip inside my garage?
I would update to a opener with an electric eye or disable all automatic opening/closing form the Tesla. The damage from one accidental closing that straps the point will cost more than a new garage door opener.

Im still having issues after repositioning the car and resetting the HomeLink several times. I think its because I have to back in to the garage, so I am having a fair bit of success auto opening, but the auto close is very hit or miss. I too have an auxiliary receiver (Linear Megacode) that I installed to be able to use the MyQ because my Marantec unit wasn't compatible. Its in the ceiling next to the motor unit which uses an LED light. Maybe I'll try relocating it closer to the garage door to see if that helps.

I read some things in another thread about the sequence of opening the garage door from inside. Manual door open from the wall switch, using HomeLink before turning the car on and after turning the car on. They all affect the "toggle" status of the when the application thinks it should be sending that signal.

Im still having issues after repositioning the car and resetting the HomeLink several times. I think its because I have to back in to the garage, so I am having a fair bit of success auto opening, but the auto close is very hit or miss. I too have an auxiliary receiver (Linear Megacode) that I installed to be able to use the MyQ because my Marantec unit wasn't compatible. Its in the ceiling next to the motor unit which uses an LED light. Maybe I'll try relocating it closer to the garage door to see if that helps.

I read some things in another thread about the sequence of opening the garage door from inside. Manual door open from the wall switch, using HomeLink before turning the car on and after turning the car on. They all affect the "toggle" status of the when the application thinks it should be sending that signal.

I've just accepted that auto-open when arriving will never work as it fires way too far from my house, but auto-close works just fine when I am backing out of my garage (well one time it didn't, but other than that one time it has worked fine).

I've just accepted that auto-open when arriving will never work as it fires way too far from my house, but auto-close works just fine when I am backing out of my garage (well one time it didn't, but other than that one time it has worked fine).
That's interesting. I leave the auto-close off so I can't say about that, but the auto-open on my car only fires less than five metres away and even then you have to be careful and drive slowly or it will not fire at all. Perhaps it depends on the type of opener.

That's interesting. I leave the auto-close off so I can't say about that, but the auto-open on my car only fires less than five metres away and even then you have to be careful and drive slowly or it will not fire at all. Perhaps it depends on the type of opener.

Mine fires about 50 feet (~15 meters) from my house.

I have the same issue as the OP. My HomeLink starts the auto-open process ~150 ft from the garage and sends the trigger when I'm still ~100 ft away. Based on this, I would think it's a GPS issue and not the LED issue.

I have attempted to reset the location from inside my garage, but with minimal success. I have considered resetting the location after driving past the garage to the 2nd bay, but I'm afraid of now is the door triggering when I'm leaving with auto-close. It would be nice if I could do individual location resets for open & close to solve this.

I have the same issue as the OP. My HomeLink starts the auto-open process ~150 ft from the garage and sends the trigger when I'm still ~100 ft away. Based on this, I would think it's a GPS issue and not the LED issue.

I have attempted to reset the location from inside my garage, but with minimal success. I have considered resetting the location after driving past the garage to the 2nd bay, but I'm afraid of now is the door triggering when I'm leaving with auto-close. It would be nice if I could do individual location resets for open & close to solve this.

I had the same thought (setting the location somewhere past my house maybe), but then the auto-close would be screwed up and it works great currently so don't want to mess with it.

I replaced my 2 CFL bulbs in my Chamberlain opener when I replaced the emergency battery. I used LED bulbs since that is what I had.

We noticed that the garage door was behaving erratically. Sometimes it would open/close at a long distance, other times we had be right up in the driveway.

In our case, we just tolerate it. We are used to it's behavior.

Read this:

How LED Lights Can Cause Problems With Your Garage Door Opener

It seems that most LED light "bulbs" emit significant RF radiation, enough that radio reception is impossible in the same room. If you really want LEDs, there are brands shielded against RF interference. Whether they are good enough to shield in close proximity to the antenna, like the bulbs in the opener itself, I don't know.

LED lamps interfering with radio transmissions - LeapFrogLighting

Thanks for this tip. I have a long driveway and when we first programmed one of the Teslas, we followed the instructions and were right in front of the garage. Of course then the doors wouldn't open until we were in the same location and we'd have to sit and wait before driving in. By using the info you provided, we programmed the new Tesla from the end of the long driveway and then reset the locations saved on the other Tesla. Now the signal is sent before we start driving down the driveway and the doors are fully opened by the time we are ready to enter the garage.

BTW, when programming my the garage openers over the weekend, the first two worked the first time and we didn't have to enable any learning on the garage door opener. The third door didn't work right away so we tried using the Learn function. As luck would have it, my neighbor left their house at the same time. They came and went a couple more times that afternoon and we noticed that they were controlling the third garage door when opening their garage. We cleared out all saved openers on that door and then reprogrammed the Teslas and they worked great after that...and the neighbors can no longer open my garage. :)

I emailed Tesla support about this issue, and their response was the following:

"At this time you are doing the correct steps to correct the Homelink signal. What I can do is escalate this to our technicians to see if they have a resolution to ensuring that the signal is sent at the proper time.

I can also send over a feature request to the appropriate team to see if we can have an option added to notating the distance where you want the signal to activate."