Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink setup failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a "recent" (~2011) Craftsman 139.53918d garage door opener, and I seem unable to get it to work with Homelink on my new Model X.

I've followed the directions at http://manuals.garagehowto.com/craftsman-manual-139.53918D-[1109396L]-belt.pdf which boil down to:

1. Press and release the "learn" button on the motor unit. The learn LED will glow steadily for 30 seconds.
2. Within 30 seconds,press and hold the button on the hand-held remote*that you wish to operate your garage door.
3. Release the button when the motor unit lights blink. It has learned the code. If light bulbs are not installed,two clicks will be heard.

When I get to the "programming" phase of the homelink setup, I see the garage door light flash immediately in 1-2 seconds, but the Tesla keeps on "programming" for 20 seconds more. Then the "test" never works to open or close the door.

I've also tried switching the homelink transmitter mode from "standard" to "default". When in "default" mode, I see no blinks from either the Tesla's lights when it is learning the signal, nor from the opener when the Tesla is programming.

Back in standard mode, I've tried just putting the opener in "learn" and pressing the homelink button. When I do this, I again see "blink" from the opener, but homelink does not work to open the door.

What am I doing wrong? I've gone through all of this about 10 times, and I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.

It feels very much like the Tesla is just not using the correct rolling code algorithm, and is getting the frequency right, but the code wrong. I've seen stuff on-line for older cars needing a bridge to work with Security+, but surely that cannot apply here..?

Thanks for any hints!

I recall having to program the Tesla first, using the normal garage door remote. Then you program the garage door receiver to recognize the Tesla Homelink. That might ensure that the Tesla is using the correct format or something. From your description it sounds like you're only doing the Tesla to garage receiver part.

I recall having to program the Tesla first, using the normal garage door remote. Then you program the garage door receiver to recognize the Tesla Homelink. That might ensure that the Tesla is using the correct format or something. From your description it sounds like you're only doing the Tesla to garage receiver part.

I've done both steps (about 20 times). The first step is to hold the remote in front of the bumper and press the button until the Tesla's lights blink. That part works fine every time (in standard mode). I think what's happening there is that the Tesla is acquiring the frequency of the remote. Then step 2 (getting the receiver to accept the tesla) is working too, according to the garage door opener (since it blinks). But then it never actually works to open the door.

Hi,

I have a "recent" (~2011) Craftsman 139.53918d garage door opener, and I seem unable to get it to work with Homelink on my new Model X.

I've followed the directions at http://manuals.garagehowto.com/craftsman-manual-139.53918D-[1109396L]-belt.pdf which boil down to:

1. Press and release the "learn" button on the motor unit. The learn LED will glow steadily for 30 seconds.
2. Within 30 seconds,press and hold the button on the hand-held remote*that you wish to operate your garage door.
3. Release the button when the motor unit lights blink. It has learned the code. If light bulbs are not installed,two clicks will be heard.

When I get to the "programming" phase of the homelink setup, I see the garage door light flash immediately in 1-2 seconds, but the Tesla keeps on "programming" for 20 seconds more. Then the "test" never works to open or close the door.

I've also tried switching the homelink transmitter mode from "standard" to "default". When in "default" mode, I see no blinks from either the Tesla's lights when it is learning the signal, nor from the opener when the Tesla is programming.

Back in standard mode, I've tried just putting the opener in "learn" and pressing the homelink button. When I do this, I again see "blink" from the opener, but homelink does not work to open the door.

What am I doing wrong? I've gone through all of this about 10 times, and I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.

It feels very much like the Tesla is just not using the correct rolling code algorithm, and is getting the frequency right, but the code wrong. I've seen stuff on-line for older cars needing a bridge to work with Security+, but surely that cannot apply here..?

Thanks for any hints!

I’m not familiar with the Craftsman programming system. However, I believe they are similar to Chamberlain/LiftMaster. Have you tried wiping out (clearing) all of the learned codes on the garage door operator? I believe most systems with a learning capability have a maximum number of stored codes. It that doesn’t work, you may need to pick up a HomeLink repeater part number 855LM. Again, I don’t know the specific frequencies for your Craftsman operator, but it may be worth a shot.

Hi,

Thanks for any hints!

Units with a yellow LEARN button:
  1. Press and hold the LEARN button on garage door opener until the learn LED goes out (approximately 6 seconds).
  2. Immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes and MyQ accessories are now erased. Reprogram any accessory you wish to use.

I'm on 17.44, which I think is the latest. What were the issues in those earlier versions?
Agreed, it should be fixed in 17.44. There are tons of threads on HomeLink issues here on TMC, but I didn't really look into it because I gave up on HomeLink because Garage Doors are too stupid. They use the same one signal to open and close the doors, which is idiotic.

It sounds like the issue was due to the programming getting lost and it wasn't sending any signals, even if you pressed the HomeLink icon.

Agreed, it should be fixed in 17.44. There are tons of threads on HomeLink issues here on TMC, but I didn't really look into it because I gave up on HomeLink because Garage Doors are too stupid. They use the same one signal to open and close the doors, which is idiotic.

It sounds like the issue was due to the programming getting lost and it wasn't sending any signals, even if you pressed the HomeLink icon.

Agreed. Even TV / Stereos have different codes for on / off, and they're not able to drop a few hundred pounds of steel on your car. But at least on my system, there must be a discreet code for "close" since the keypad is able to *close* the door with a single press of the "enter" key, but requires a code to open.

I'm not sure what you mean by programming getting lost. The car is clearly sending *something* that's at least 1/2 right, given the "blink" that the opener does when I put the opener into learn mode again and pressing the (not really) programmed homelink button.

I’m not familiar with the Craftsman programming system. However, I believe they are similar to Chamberlain/LiftMaster. Have you tried wiping out (clearing) all of the learned codes on the garage door operator? I believe most systems with a learning capability have a maximum number of stored codes. It that doesn’t work, you may need to pick up a HomeLink repeater part number 855LM. Again, I don’t know the specific frequencies for your Craftsman operator, but it may be worth a shot.

I've been trying to avoid wiping all the remotes. We have a keypad that's a PITA to program. I think maybe I'll try to reprogram the 2nd or 3rd button on an existing remote to rule out the theory that the system is clogged with openers, though.

Thanks for the pointer to the repeater. I may have to try that..

Drew

Agreed. Even TV / Stereos have different codes for on / off, and they're not able to drop a few hundred pounds of steel on your car. But at least on my system, there must be a discreet code for "close" since the keypad is able to *close* the door with a single press of the "enter" key, but requires a code to open.

I'm not sure what you mean by programming getting lost. The car is clearly sending *something* that's at least 1/2 right, given the "blink" that the opener does when I put the opener into learn mode again and pressing the (not really) programmed homelink button.
My garage door does the same thing with the external keypad (enter to close, pin+enter to open). I don't know how it does it. Maybe it has the ability to query the motor to see if it's already opened? Now, I'm intrigued...surely it can't be a second code? If so, it may be some priority solution that other manufacturers don't have access to. I'd love it if HomeLink could work the same way.

I gave up on HomeLink a few months ago (too many people in the household for it to work), so I never experienced this issue, but from what I've read, the bug was that when you pressed the HomeLink icon, it would not actually transmit the signal. Of course, if you had it automatically open/close, the same thing would happen...it would trigger, but no signal would get sent. Going into the HomeLink settings and starting a new connection, and then cancelling out seemed to be a quick work-around to the issue.

from what I've read, the bug was that when you pressed the HomeLink icon, it would not actually transmit the signal.

This is different for me, since I know it is transmitting the signal (because the garage door opener blinks its light when it is in learn mode & press the HomeLink icon to transmit the signal.

I think I'll throw $25 at the problem and get the repeater. It probably won't work, but I"ll delay having to clear the codes and reprogram everything for a few days..

I should have done it a long time ago.. I was afraid the learning feature was just broken, and I'd be stranded with no working openers if I cleared the existing codes. Took a while to get up my nerve.

Now that it works, I've noticed that the auto-open feature only works when the car is in drive. I have a long driveway with limited turn-around space and a rear facing garage, so I always back up the driveway. around the corner, and then front into the garage. The door auto-opens when I shift into drive.

Now that it works, I've noticed that the auto-open feature only works when the car is in drive. I have a long driveway with limited turn-around space and a rear facing garage, so I always back up the driveway. around the corner, and then front into the garage. The door auto-opens when I shift into drive.
Yes! I experienced the exact same thing with the auto-open feature not working when backing up a long driveway. It seems like the distance to open does not count down when in reverse. I believe this functionality could be easily implemented and it would be a useful improvement for us.

Reactions: drewg123
I should have done it a long time ago.. I was afraid the learning feature was just broken, and I'd be stranded with no working openers if I cleared the existing codes. Took a while to get up my nerve.

Yes! I experienced the exact same thing with the auto-open feature not working when backing up a long driveway. It seems like the distance to open does not count down when in reverse. I believe this functionality could be easily implemented and it would be a useful improvement for us.
I'm in the exact same situation. Up until ~May 2017, HomeLink would trigger my garage to open when I was reversing up the drive. Ever since ~May 2017, it now doesn't trigger until I put it into Drive. There was speculation on TMC that this change was made to avoid the situation of being inside an open garage and putting it into reverse (which triggers the garage to close) and driving into a closing garage door. There have been reports of people driving into their closing garage doors and causing significant damage.

IMO, the real problem here is with existing garage door technology. It uses the same signal to *both* open and close the door. How easy would it be to have 2 separate codes to avoid closing a door upon yourself? Tesla would need to be extremely creative to work around this issue, but I don't think a good solution exists (short of making smarter garage doors).

I have a sensor on my garage door that knows when it's opened. Tesla would need to somehow communicate with this sensor and only send the open trigger if the door is closed (and the close trigger if the door is open). Maybe Tesla can develop their own HomeLink Accessory Sensor? I would buy that immediately assuming it's less than $100.

I'm in the exact same situation. Up until ~May 2017, HomeLink would trigger my garage to open when I was reversing up the drive. Ever since ~May 2017, it now doesn't trigger until I put it into Drive. There was speculation on TMC that this change was made to avoid the situation of being inside an open garage and putting it into reverse (which triggers the garage to close) and driving into a closing garage door. There have been reports of people driving into their closing garage doors and causing significant damage.

IMO, the real problem here is with existing garage door technology. It uses the same signal to *both* open and close the door. How easy would it be to have 2 separate codes to avoid closing a door upon yourself? Tesla would need to be extremely creative to work around this issue, but I don't think a good solution exists (short of making smarter garage doors).

I have a sensor on my garage door that knows when it's opened. Tesla would need to somehow communicate with this sensor and only send the open trigger if the door is closed (and the close trigger if the door is open). Maybe Tesla can develop their own HomeLink Accessory Sensor? I would buy that immediately assuming it's less than $100.
Well, it seems like the technology is already there on the Tesla. It can receive signals when it learns your remote code and can transmit signals when you open/close the door. Lexus has this basic functionality, but it is limited to an up and down arrow in the rear view mirror. The LiftMaster operators (and perhaps others) can report door open/door close conditions on remote transceivers. They will also respond to a “down only” command. It would be interesting to program the car with a “down only” command to see what happens.

I love your idea and believe there are many, many people who would benefit from such functionality. I would even appreciate seeing an indicator of some sort that would show the door status on screen - a visual peace-of-mind knowing the door is down when I leave. With a hectic schedule, I have come back more than once just to make sure. The Tesla does a great job of the auto down (most of the time)!

I'd buy it too, even if it were a bit more.

What I don't get is that my keypad, which is also wireless, must already "know" when the door is open, since I can just hit "enter" to shut the door w/o entering a code, but I need to put in a code to open it. I'm imagining there are 2 codes.. one to open, and one to close. The one to open is sent when you type your code, and the one to close is sent when just hitting "enter". Why can't homelink just piggyback on whatever mechanism the keypad uses?

Last edited: