Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, confirming this is present on 17.38 and wasn't on 17.36. I had exactly as presented above. It worked once, didn't second time (no 'transmittal signal icon'). Rebooted MCU, it worked, didn't again. Rebooted again, fine for one try. Reported by bug report.

No idea if this is what is in 17.38.4, as perhaps this what the branch to .4 is for. I know 17.36 didn't do this, as the car came with it, and I tested it many times while I was programming the door opener! :D

My Homelink definitely got flakier ever since I got 2017.36 (and I'm still on it). I'd estimate it fails maybe 25% of the time now, whereas it used to consistently work well.

Another possibility. Over the last year our garage door remotes for both Teslas (2012 and 2016) and three different openers became iffy. Reprogrammed/reset openers, original remotes, car remotes. Still same problem.

Found that if the garage door light was on the remotes wouldn't work. Didn't matter whether it was Tesla Homelink remote or original remote for opener. Worked fine if light was off.

For a while we would have to pull out of garage, get out of car, walk back in and turn off light, walk out of garage making sure to not trigger garage door sensor (that would turn light back on), then close door with Tesla remote. It was a funny dance to watch each dayo_O

I originally thought it was the newer light bulbs (LED/fluorescent bulbs) causing RF interference. Replaced with incandescent. Still same problem. Removed light bulbs completely. Still same problem (even if there was no bulb in socket the remote would not work if light circuit was on). Unplugged everything on same circuit. Still same problem.

My conclusion was that the opener remote receiver was receiving RF interference from other electronics in the house. It only was interfering when the light circuit was acting as an active path/transmitting loop for the interference to get to the opener receiver. Tried a filter on the power supply to the garage door opener. No joy.

Finally bought a newer external receiver with better RF characteristics (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071EYS9M/) and a compatible remote to program the receiver and Tesla Homelink. Since then it has been working perfectly, 100% of the time:)

Yesterday (Wednesday 10/4/17) a colleague at work told me that when she left home that afternoon in her Model X her HomeLink had stopped working and had to be re-programmed.

Low and behold, when I got home last night in my own Model X, mine had stopped working too. It still comes up with the name of the garage door, it just doesn't do anything when I press it.

Is this a widespread problem or a weird coincidence?

Started with me when I got 17.36 update on my S, have to press it multible times to get it to transmit, sometimes still works normally but most of the time I have to press the button on screen several times dispite it still comming up like normal it just does not work as it did before this last update. Verry annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowbell
I have 2017.34 and have the same issue. It works probably 9 of 10 times but every so often we have to press the option on the screen 3or 4times and sometimes we have to open /close from the button in the garage. Strange enough, it will just start working again for a while.

Worked fine before for over a year. I will file a bug report next time it happens.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowbell
We have 17.38 and took delivery on 9/26. Yesterday, mid afternoon, we stopped at the Santa Fe SC for electrons and went for a walk while charging. When I tried to use the Tesla AP to check the SOC, it showed that the car was charging at 5 m/hour with no other information. I walked back to check the cable connection and discovered that it was charging at 200 m/h, plenty of watts. But the AP did not reflect that information. Hours later, back in Albuquerque, the Tesla AP was able to connect and show correct SOC. Maybe this is part of the same problem related above. Our MX build is the same as those sited above.

I have 17.32.6, and have also noticed that Homelink is not consistent now. I first noticed it about a month or so ago. It used to work at first touch, every time. Now, I have to visually check to ensure that my door is up when entering, and down when exiting. Sometimes, it takes several pushes, but so far, it always works sooner or later. I did have one close call when backing in. My wife mentioned (excitedly) that "The door is still down"! as I careened toward it. It's nice to have a co-pilot sometimes.

Now I give up. After everything I’ve said, after an MCU reboot yesterday when I got home and it didn’t work, it’s now worked three times in a row including an auto open. WTF?!

What’s the variable here? Rebooted. Manually opened door from homelink on MCU. This AM, opened door from wall switch, backed out, told GF, watch, this won’t work; and it did (manually closing from MCU homelink).

Went out for day, came home, homelink auto-opened.

Thing is sassing us!

Confirmed that since this software upgrade my MX loses its ability to transmit stored HomeLink commands. After resetting the main screen, transmit functionality is restored for a period of time. Within 24-hours HomeLink transmitting is once again lost.

Prior to this update HomeLink was 100% accurate. Using the backup garage door clicker from within the car always works.

Same issue that coincided with my 2017.38 update. Have to go to Homelink program screen, then hit cancel, and then signal will transmit again. Non transmission issue happens about 50% of the time.

As I posted in the other thread, mine has now worked three times in a row. I can't see a pattern... will test some more today. But this is really weird. As @NetBear says, there may be some time period or other circumstances that break it, not just the one use we were looking at originally. I'd still do bug reports when it fails so Tesla has the state of the car on failure.

Especially since 17.38.4 doesn't fix it... :(