Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday (Wednesday 10/4/17) a colleague at work told me that when she left home that afternoon in her Model X her HomeLink had stopped working and had to be re-programmed.

Low and behold, when I got home last night in my own Model X, mine had stopped working too. It still comes up with the name of the garage door, it just doesn't do anything when I press it.

Is this a widespread problem or a weird coincidence?
Happened to us too. Luckily I had just installed a hub to alert me if the garage door is left open... And so I was able to close it remotely.

When I looked at the detail of 2017.41 it seems like a Beta release as it is one each of 3 Model Xs - P100D (AP2), P90D (AP1) and 90D (AP1), one per day for 3 days and then no more since the 16th.
Interesting. Sure not rolling out. And now we have 17.41.6 according to TeslaFi! I was told by my SC that 17.41 is supposed to fix the HL issue but who knows what version of 41 and when we will get it (and that’s their numbering, not what we see...)

Interesting. Sure not rolling out. And now we have 17.41.6 according to TeslaFi! I was told by my SC that 17.41 is supposed to fix the HL issue but who knows what version of 41 and when we will get it (and that’s their numbering, not what we see...)

Looks like 2 of the 3 cars that had 17.41 are the ones that got 17.41.6 when I look at the detail, which gives more credence to the 17.41 as Beta theory.

Looks like 2 of the 3 cars that had 17.41 are the ones that got 17.41.6 when I look at the detail, which gives more credence to the 17.41 as Beta theory.
Interesting! If that’s really the testing plan, hope 17.41.6 is the final version and it really has the HL fix and goes to full rollout so we can put this thing to bed! :D

17.42 is supposed to have a fix for my car’s other issue (to be discussed elsewhere later today...).

Interesting! If that’s really the testing plan, hope 17.41.6 is the final version and it really has the HL fix and goes to full rollout so we can put this thing to bed! :D

17.42 is supposed to have a fix for my car’s other issue (to be discussed elsewhere later today...).

I hope your "other" issue is not one I am having as well, but have not noticed yet....

Sine the latest update this week which added more granular control over when Homelink activates, I'm unable to get Homelink to work. I can only get it to function if I hard rest the car by holding both scroll wheels on the steering wheel. See attached videos. Notice you don't see the "transmitting" icon when I press the home link button. The after video show the transmit icon and works correctly.

Any ideas or simply wait for Tesla to address?

My HomeLink didn't work this morning after the software update last night. I got it to work again by going into the HomeLink settings, selecting the first garage door, then tapping PROGRAM. I then hit CANCEL. No need to actually repogram the door.
Thanks Tony. I tried your solution because Homelink on my X with firmware 2017.40.1 stopped working after doing what you described it now works correctly. Easy fix. :)

Shoot! I just had one of my garage doors randomly open by itself, triggering my home alarm. It's never happened before in 20 years and nothing has changed so it can only be the Tesla HomeLink. I've checked security video and no one broke into any of the other cars parked outside or used the keypad, so I have to assume the current flakiness of HomeLink is responsible.

Now I'm getting annoyed. It's one thing for it not to work reliably, but random behavior potentially affecting my family's safety is just not acceptable. I've deleted all HomeLink devices from my Tesla and will be using a physical remote until this is sorted out...

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Shoot! I just had one of my garage doors randomly open by itself, triggering my home alarm. It's never happened before in 20 years and nothing has changed so it can only be the Tesla HomeLink
Ok, after further checking more systems and logs this morning, it turns out it WAS NOT the Tesla HomeLink that triggered the door. Now I have to go figure out what caused that other trigger, but it wasn't HomeLink. Guess I was too quick to blame it given the other issues we are having with it...

The HomeLlink problem seems to have started with firmware after 2017.34.244.

I have 2 Model X the one with 2017.34.244 HomeLink works fine. The other has Firmware 2017.40.1.
On the 40.1 version HomeLink works only after a hard reset, but after a overnight sleep cycle it requires another reset.

I would hope Tesla would push a patch out soon.

I think what bothers me the most about this is quality control in their line of code. This is a big oversight on their part to release an upgrade that disables Homelink with both auto and self service capability. Its something that I have no doubt is used by the majority of owners. In that you would think that basic testing would be performed for a series of common tasks before they release the software GA.

Their QC team should be ashamed that this kind of basic function would be released broken to the owner community.

Reactions: kavyboy
I got the solution for this. My Homelink stop working since the update also.... I reset the homelink, the the problem will reoccur next day, but after I reset the car (press and hold 2 rolling wheels on the steering), the problem resolved. I hope it will help.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Model X on 17.40.1 - no transmit icon when I press the HomeLink button. Go into HL settings, click on my home, click Program, cancel out to main screen, bring up HL button again and it works fine. But, that's a lot of steps to go through every time so I've taken to leaving an old style remote in the cupholders under my center arm rest... :(

Hoping for 17.41 soon if this is fixed...