Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday (Wednesday 10/4/17) a colleague at work told me that when she left home that afternoon in her Model X her HomeLink had stopped working and had to be re-programmed.

Low and behold, when I got home last night in my own Model X, mine had stopped working too. It still comes up with the name of the garage door, it just doesn't do anything when I press it.

Is this a widespread problem or a weird coincidence?

Vagus, we just got our model X back from the SC this Monday and have been having intermittent problems all week. It's failed to open the door while the car is inside. Sometimes returning, it will go into the opening door mode on the screen, but then nothing happens. I have reprogrammed it multiple times and it keeps failing. I've left a note with the SC as we will have to bring the car back anyways in a week or so to get a rear seat fixed. They did say they are ordering a homelink transmitter just in case in case they can't fix it and it really is a hardware problem.

I'm wondering if this is software related as well... I did notice the car got updated to f87c64d5 software while it was in the ship. Prior to this, homelink on the model X was 100% reliable.

Vagus, we just got our model X back from the SC this Monday and have been having intermittent problems all week. It's failed to open the door while the car is inside. Sometimes returning, it will go into the opening door mode on the screen, but then nothing happens. I have reprogrammed it multiple times and it keeps failing. I've left a note with the SC as we will have to bring the car back anyways in a week or so to get a rear seat fixed. They did say they are ordering a homelink transmitter just in case in case they can't fix it and it really is a hardware problem.

I'm wondering if this is software related as well... I did notice the car got updated to f87c64d5 software while it was in the ship. Prior to this, homelink on the model X was 100% reliable.
17.38 (don't use the hashcode, we then have to look up the real numbers! :D ) works fine for me with Homelink. One thing you might try is resetting your door opener totally. Sometimes they get 'full' and continual reprogramming with 'new' remotes (the car) just clogs things up.

So I have a two-week old MX. HomeLink was pretty easy to program and worked without a hitch. I've also done this for our other Tesla in the past without problems. This time, I decided to check the option to automatically transmit the HomeLink signal when nearing my garage door and community gate. This also worked great. The problem is now whenever I leave the MX parked, locked and idle for a few hours, HomeLink fails to work on the subsequent attempt. Naturally, the next step is to manually press the HomeLink buttons to open my garage and/or gate, BUT when doing so, the little icon to the right showing that a signal is being transmitted fails to appear no matter how many times I press. Of course, the garage and gate also fail to open. The only solution is a double scroll bar reboot of the system.

Is this a software glitch that others have also encountered? If so, I guess I'll have to patiently wait for an update. Would love to know if others have had a similar experience. Thanks in advance for any replies or potential solutions!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
So glad I found this thread because I just posted about the same problem a minute ago. Could it be a firmware upgrade issue? I updated to 2017.38f87c64d5. Now only a reboot results in a functional HomeLink button. Leaving the car idle for a few hours again results in non-functional HomeLink buttons. No transmit icon appears when the button is pressed, and another reboot is then required. Kind of getting weary of repeating the cycle every day or every several hours, so I've gone back to using my 20th century garage door opener for now.

Seems to work for me on 17.36 and 17.38. (Edit: nope, my bad, see below.) What firmware are you on? I would recommend reprogramming it, but it makes no sense that it works once and and not again, meaning it's a car-side problem. Also, being in the garage, it should work better than being outside, which rules out the usual possibility of LED lights interfering, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks, Boaterva.

I am on 2017.38f87c64d5. The software clearly fails, less likely a hardware problem because a reboot clears up the issue temporarily. Luckily there is another much longer thread on this issue that I found late last night. Looks like HomeLink problems aren't unique to my MX, though people's issues seem to vary a bit.

Im having literally the exact same issue. My MX is 1 week old. It programmed no problem and worked for a few days. Then a day or 3 ago it stopped working.

I reprogrammed it (which works every time and shows the garages will open and respond to the command) but after that it stops working and doesn't show that its transmitting (the green sideways bars that show when the code is being sent).

I deleted the garages and reprogrammed them last night, same thing. Worked fine while programming and then this AM, nothing (and manually pressing the homelink button does not show the transit signal)

whats even more nuts is that when I deleted the garages to completely empty out the system, it actually opened the garage as I was deleting it which shows that it had the codes and could work.

I think its just not transmitting.

im on 2017.38 f87c64d5 as well

really need a solution here.

im gonna try NOT telling it to auto open and close when I get home.

Homelink has gotten much less reliable for us, now on 17.34

Seems like last few months it got worse

I even had the SC look at it and they adjusted the “triiger point” but I’m not sure if it’s even less reliable than before the adjustment

One thing that seems to bring out the worst in homelink for us is when a different keyfob is used
If I am the only driver for a stretch homelink seems much more reliable, but if my wife uses her keyfob, that switch seems to degrade reliability