Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See this thread: Homelink — Change Transmit Mode

Does everyone on 17.38 or above have this new ‘Change transmit mode’ option?

Or is it limited to some new hardware that perhaps came with AP2.5? I think there are too many issues for it to be hardware related.
It now appears everyone has it above 17.36 at least.... I tried to use the ‘other’ option, it didn’t even work at all.

Current answer appears to be reboot the MCU, and it will work again until it doesn’t.

Reactions: cybergates
Haha - our garage door randomly broke recently and we had it repaired. This coincided with me occasionally coming home from work and the door not opening fully. Homelink had worked flawlessly for a year, so I never even considered it was the car. Now thinking about, the garage door has only ever failed to open recently from my model S.

I guess I owe the garage service guys an apology. No wonder they thought I was nuts.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Haha - our garage door randomly broke recently and we had it repaired. This coincided with me occasionally coming home from work and the door not opening fully. Homelink had worked flawlessly for a year, so I never even considered it was the car. Now thinking about, the garage door has only ever failed to open recently from my model S.

I guess I owe the garage service guys an apology. No wonder they thought I was nuts.
Hm, not opening fully should be the door opener. All Homelink/the car does is send one opening signal. It opens or it doesn’t. Why would that have it ‘not opening fully’?

Similar issue with my Tesla X, which is now 4 weeks old. Homelink was programmed and working fine. Then the software upgrade happened last week to 2017.38.f87c64d5. It stopped working. I reprogrammed it - which it did. It would then detect the garage door when the car is near the house, but would not open the door despite repeated presses.

Found a work around. After I delete the last programmed entry, and start creating a new entry, it opens the garage door. Has been working for a week now. Every time reach home (or leave home), I pick HOMELINK1 and delete it and then try to re-create the entry (without actually using any garage opener). After that, I just cancel the process. It opens the door for me.

How does one report the issues using voice command?

Parmod.

Ever since they added auto open/close, homelink has worked flawlessly for me. Ever since the last update a couple of weeks ago that added supercharger charging rates, it screws up a lot and both ways of rebooting doesn't fix it. It's frustrating when you're trying to leave and it won't close the door either automatically or manually until it decides it wants to.

Similar issue with my Tesla X, which is now 4 weeks old. Homelink was programmed and working fine. Then the software upgrade happened last week to 2017.38.f87c64d5. It stopped working. I reprogrammed it - which it did. It would then detect the garage door when the car is near the house, but would not open the door despite repeated presses.

Found a work around. After I delete the last programmed entry, and start creating a new entry, it opens the garage door. Has been working for a week now. Every time reach home (or leave home), I pick HOMELINK1 and delete it and then try to re-create the entry (without actually using any garage opener). After that, I just cancel the process. It opens the door for me.

How does one report the issues using voice command?

Parmod.
voice command: bug report <whatever>
is supposed to send enough of a snapshot that they can tell something about what is wrong, or, enough of a timestamp that they can pull logs from your car.

I've done: bug report homelink repeatedly failed after one time needs mcu reboot to reset
Now going to get desparate and actually call Tesla. :D

Let us know what they say. I suspect they will say it's a known issue that will be fixed in the next update.
Hopefully that's actually true. We know 17.38.4 doesn't fix it, and nothing newer has yet appeared on ev-fw or TeslaFi.

Yep, intend to try it when I get home, break it, and call and see what's up. It's been around for a while now that they might have an answer besides 'we've never seen that before'.

So, good news and bad news.... I was testing this, and couldn't get it to fail. Was about to call Customer Support, when my car went all wonky, so had to call them anyway. More on that in a second, but I told them the whole story, and they confirmed, known issue, will be on a future softrware release. I was thinking perhaps it never fails until you disconnect the charger, so I did, and that's when everything broke for me.

For the fix, we can hope it's the next release, but they wouldn't know a number at this point, since development hasn't told them when it's fixed.

Now, my problem was, out of the blue when I unplugged the HPWC, my car threw Parking Assist and Steering Assist alerts, as well as the airbag light and then I found one FWD door wouldn't obey. Did all the reboots myself while on music hold, and then again a cold start (with more off time) while talking to them, and came to the conclusion the car needs to go by flatbed to Tysons tomorrow AM.

Very weird, I assume some control module threw a fit with all these separate issues.

But at least they are working on the Homelink problem. :D

• Informative
I'm having similar issues with Homelink. The only way to have it activate the garage door for me currently is to go into the Homelink settings and select the door that was programmed but not working anymore and click on Program and then Start. It actually opens/closes the garage door instead of starting the programming!! Its a pain to go through the menus every time but at least its a workaround.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Reset Homelink (garage door learn button -> remote control in the frunk when prompted -> bingo, works again). Next day, nothing. So our Plan B is to keep an old garage door remote control in the car. Not elegant.

Yeah, but the remote just works!!

I love the Homelink when it works, and hate it when it doesn’t
If my wife’s in the car I know I’ll get the obligatory “you need to call the SC/ranger”
Was perfect until last few months
The frustration when it doesn’t work is annoying. Plus multiple homelink presses then often seem to fail. Sometimes I have to open my other garage door just to gain entry

I gave up on HomeLink months ago when I realized that it wouldn't work for my family scenario. The only way HomeLink could work for us is if Tesla somehow figures out a solution to the limitation that all Garage doors have: they use the same signal for both opening and closing. Therefore, if the garage is already open when you come home, sending the "generic" signal will close the door rather than leaving it open (and vice-versa).

• Funny
Yeah, but the remote just works!!

Oddly enough, one of my remotes stopped working this past week. The lights on the remote still work, but it doesn't open any of my garage doors. Battery is good too. I'm not sure if there is some sort of reset on the control that was accidentally pushed (like hold three buttons for 15 seconds).

I find that if I press and hold the icon, it works. It used to work with just a momentary press of the icon.

No change for me if I hold the icon.

Finally bought a newer external receiver with better RF characteristics (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071EYS9M/) and a compatible remote to program the receiver and Tesla Homelink. Since then it has been working perfectly, 100% of the time:)

Mine should be here tonight. Thanks for the pointer. I'll update this post if it is any better. One observation is that my newer homelink door always works, my 2001 opener is the flakey one.