Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the same problem today with my Model S. Actually, had been noticing an intermittent problem for the last week or so on 17.36 where the garage door would start to open and then stop immediately. Then I installed 17.40.1 last night, and when I came home tonight, the door would not open at all. The setting was still in the Homelink menu but pressing it (even with the car positioned directly in front of the door) did nothing. Also, it was in white text instead of the usual green, which suggests that it's no longer active.

I did notice that in the Homelink settings panel, there is an option to reset location (something to that effect), which I'll try in the morning. Hopefully I don't have to remove the item and reprogram it entirely.

Without internet connection the Homelink appears to fail. Works when I get home but not when I leave home.
Did reboots and reprogram to door. (v 2017.40.1) On the screen pressing the button does not display the transmission signal thus a failed door close
Where don’t you have Internet access, even if that is needed (and I can’t see why)? Doesn’t the car have LTE? All it needs to trigger ‘leaving’ is the GPS location.

Where don’t you have Internet access, even if that is needed (and I can’t see why)? Doesn’t the car have LTE? All it needs to trigger ‘leaving’ is the GPS location.

Might be something in the switch between WiFi and LTE when the Homelink tries to activate just at that point. I can say I have only had it happen twice with 2 Teslas, but I have an AP near my garage and only loose WiFi when my garage is already closed and pick it up after it has already opened typically.

Might be something in the switch between WiFi and LTE when the Homelink tries to activate just at that point. I can say I have only had it happen twice with 2 Teslas, but I have an AP near my garage and only loose WiFi when my garage is already closed and pick it up after it has already opened typically.
I was wondering about the switchover and then it getting a good GPS signal and all that... I’m testing the new location setting later this AM to see if mine actually works on the ‘close on leaving’ better....

I also have a good wifi signal with the installation of a Netgear Orbi pair with the satellite unit right behind the wall of the garage!

My 2012 Model S has older hardware and the internet connection can take some time to establish after the car wakes up. 3G is the typical connection although I have driven in areas where LTE is shown as the connection.
It appears this feature, which was not previously available on the "classic" Model S until 2017.40.1, is not entirely useful because of its inconsistent reliability.

My 2012 Model S has older hardware and the internet connection can take some time to establish after the car wakes up. 3G is the typical connection although I have driven in areas where LTE is shown as the connection.
It appears this feature, which was not previously available on the "classic" Model S until 2017.40.1, is not entirely useful because of its inconsistent reliability.
Interesting, thanks for the update. Older radios definitely do have different approaches!

Hmm. I'm on 2017.40.1 and was offered an update yesterday. I scheduled it for a later time and later in the day the clock icon disappeared and hasn't come back. Still on 2017.40.1, weird
Interesting... As of yesterday, there were 17 upgrades reported in TeslaFi and we thought it was going mainstream. I wonder if the fact that some folks are reporting Air Suspension issues with this update resulted in Tesla pulling this update. Since yesterday, only one other person reported an upgrade...

Interesting... As of yesterday, there were 17 upgrades reported in TeslaFi and we thought it was going mainstream. I wonder if the fact that some folks are reporting Air Suspension issues with this update resulted in Tesla pulling this update. Since yesterday, only one other person reported an upgrade...
Yeah, they might have put the brakes on after we all reported the sky had fallen until they replace it with 17.43 or whatever. I hope. Too many problems for someone to be stuck with no steering or whatever and not knowing how to reset the car!

I reprogrammed my homelink after getting 40.1. So far 5 uses with 100% success.
We've had poor homelink for weeks. Coincidentally, when OTA updates brought all the rest of you into our world, we had a mobile truck come out to take care of a seat problem (service bulitin - fold down seat MX fix) as well as mess with homelink. 40.1 seems to be better, but then after several runs it too flaked out. The tech was going to suggest replacing the X's transmitter, and was passing on our issue to the engineer. Tesla's right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing - the next day (Friday) they called and wanted to make sure all was ok. (rolling eyes) We explained 'no' - and then got another similar call later in the day from another tesla person. Finally, the tech called back and said, "another flash is on the way to fix this - it's a mass problem".

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
We've had poor homelink for weeks. Coincidentally, when OTA updates brought all the rest of you into our world, we had a mobile truck come out to take care of a seat problem (service bulitin - fold down seat MX fix) as well as mess with homelink. 40.1 seems to be better, but then after several runs it too flaked out. The tech was going to suggest replacing the X's transmitter, and was passing on our issue to the engineer. Tesla's right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing - the next day (Friday) they called and wanted to make sure all was ok. (rolling eyes) We explained 'no' - and then got another similar call later in the day from another tesla person. Finally, the tech called back and said, "another flash is on the way to fix this - it's a mass problem".
The only issue that was new and supposed to be fixed was the failure to transmit when tapping on the name (no ‘wifi’ bars appear to signify a transmitted signal) and several threads have temporary workarounds. If you had other problems before, doubt it would change.

The first release with the fix was supposed to be 17.41 that almost no one got. So it’s 17.42 that now has been halted for new issues. Now waiting for the next release to correct those issues and include the original HL issue. :D

Strange, mine definitely got fixed in 2017.40.1. It is back to 100% consistency for me since I got that update last week.
Interesting. It’s always possible this is another case of the internal vs the external number as the SC talks in the internal hidden versions and all we see is the development versions with the hashcode for some unknown reason. Recently they told me something was fixed in 17.40 and there is no 17.40 to us, it’s 17.40.1 xxxxxx.