Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink successfully set up but not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had homelink installed in my Model Y to operate my liftmaster garage door opener.

I have successfully set up homelink in the Y, based on the lights blinking and the Y saying it was successful.

The light blinks on the Liftmaster after hitting the learn button and sprinting back to hit the button on Homelink indicating success.

But when I hit the button to test it, nothing happens. My garage door opener works from the same position but it never works from using the homelink button.

I reset all codes and reprogrammed the remote and get the same response. Everything looks like it should work but nothing. The remote is not the original, which I lost.

Any suggestions?

I have found the distance from the opener as well as whether the car is facing the garage or not. Mine NEVER works when I am backing into the garage. I have to pull up to a certain spot at the end of the driveway every time, the garage starts opening and then I can swing out and back into my garage. It sucks, but I found it extremely dependent on the position of the car. Which sucks when a $2 clicker doesn't have the same problem. I actually HATE Tesla's add on Homelink and wish I didn't pay for it.

But when I hit the button to test it, nothing happens. My garage door opener works from the same position but it never works from using the homelink button
Any suggestions?
In many years of programming Homelink modules in some instances when I hit the button after the dash from the opener and learning process back to the car, I had to hit the button multiple times - at least twice, sometimes 3x. Try that and see if it works.

Reactions: Redekw
I’ve tried facing every direction and from multiple distances. I noticed I have to hold the button on the remote for a second or two before my remote works but you can’t really do that in the Tesla. I’ll try resetting everything and starting from scratch again. It just sucks because I’ll have to reprogram my other vehicles.

I think it's safe to assume that it was installed by Tesla given that OP has gone through the programming process. I believe that if you just install the module, the homelink icon doesn't show up on the screen until Tesla programs it.

Honestly, I'd try removing your garage door from the car and try re-programing it to see if that works.

I think it's safe to assume that it was installed by Tesla given that OP has gone through the programming process. I believe that if you just install the module, the homelink icon doesn't show up on the screen until Tesla programs it.

Honestly, I'd try removing your garage door from the car and try re-programing it to see if that works.
I didn't see anywhere where the OP mentioned it was INSTALLED by Tesla. He went through programming his remotes and such. I am not even sure if the OP installed the one that you get from Tesla as he/she speaks of a button which does not exist in the integrated module. It's simply an icon on the screen vs. a physical button. o_O🤔

Ummmm, it is in the first line of his first post? He didn't say "I McGyvered a homlink module from an old Chevy into my Model Y" He said "I recently had homelink installed in my Model Y"

Keith
Haha yes, you have me there but still doesn't say it was installed by Tesla and programmed. Also, this "I have successfully set up homelink in the Y, based on the lights blinking and the Y saying it was successful." is misleading. What blinking lights?? There is no blinking indicator in the Y other than the icon. And if the icon is blinking, the garage door should operate at the same time, no? :eek:

Furthermore, if it was done by a mobile service, they make sure it works before they leave your house. Just saying...

Haha yes, you have me there but still doesn't say it was installed by Tesla and programmed. Also, this "I have successfully set up homelink in the Y, based on the lights blinking and the Y saying it was successful." is misleading. What blinking lights?? There is no blinking indicator in the Y other than the icon. And if the icon is blinking, the garage door should operate at the same time, no? :eek:

Furthermore, if it was done by a mobile service, they make sure it works before they leave your house. Just saying...
The blinking lights probably refers to the blinking headlights which occurs when programming the homelink to your garage door.

Reactions: GreenT and Gadget63
I was having the same issue. The problem turned out to be that I wasn't actually pressing the correct button. When you press the homelink button in the top right of the screen it actually opens a menu. In my case I named the entry home. When you press the homelink button "home" appears and I assumed that meant that it was trying to open the door but nothing happened. What I actually had to do was press on the word "home" which was the actual button. The homelink button in the top right is actually just a button to open a drop down menu. It was very confusing but after I figured it out I felt really dumb.

Hi. Yes, Tesla installed it but the guy was in a hurry. I think it was installed correctly but I told him it was cool if he took off assuming if there was an issue it would be with my garage door. I have also set up Homelink in numerous vehicles with no issues. I programmed it and the headlights flashed, along with the light connected to the liftmaster. I will try taking out the bulbs.

I named mine after the city I live in, given we have another house, which I hope to add in the future. When I arrive at my house it dings as if it is telling my garage to open and nothing happens.

I do have an after market garage door remote, which I am using to program the vehicle. Maybe i will try ordering a Liftmaster remote as well.

I am going to try every suggestion in this post and will let you know.

Still no luck. I erased all of the openers on the garage door. I added my normal opener and the light on the garage blinked and it worked as usual.
I added the Tesla and the garage blinked to indicate it was added successfully. I push the button… nothing.

I tried taking the bulbs out, reprogramming the car, reprogramming the door, cussing at the car, cussing at the door… nothing.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: l10l and RoBoRaT