Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink successfully set up but not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no luck. I erased all of the openers on the garage door. I added my normal opener and the light on the garage blinked and it worked as usual.
I added the Tesla and the garage blinked to indicate it was added successfully. I push the button… nothing.

I tried taking the bulbs out, reprogramming the car, reprogramming the door, cussing at the car, cussing at the door… nothing.
OK - lots of different ideas. Make sure your remote device has fresh batteries and use the "regular" size handheld when you're programming - don't use a "mini" if in fact you even have one. Also, if you haven't already, the Homelink website has vehicle-specific programming instructions - maybe there's an extra step there...and I guess you could have a bad module from Tesla. Good luck.

You said you had to hold down the garage door button for a few seconds to activate the door?

If so, that is unusual and could still indicate some interference. Do you find you clicker works better right next to the overhead unit?

Could it be an antenna issue on the overhead unit?

I say this because my Tesla homelink only worked 50/50 until I changed to low interference bulbs. My clicker always work.

If I had so much interference (or bad antenna/signal) that I would have to hold my clicker down for a few seconds I am sure the Tesla would not ever be able to activate the door.

This would also present your symptoms ... The Tesla is saying that it learned your remote, but the receiver is not getting the signal from the car.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hi. I have the exact same problem. I know my Tesla home link works since it worked on my previous rental home and in my family’s garage but not in my new place. When I press “new home” it blinks on my Tesla screen as though it’s working (I am sure someone out there is wondering why their garage is opening and closing mysteriously :)) but it doesn’t open my garage. Is there a model number compatibility list?

I programmed my newly installed home link by Tesla 2 days ago on my Model Y. Learn remote and headlights flashed, push learn button on opener and car learned, press the screen to see if it works before saving, first press on the screen didn't work but the second one did so I saved it and it works like how its designed to do. Think I had to push it twice before saving also on my Model 3.

This was indeed helpful to me. Thank you!

For me my Genie GIRUD-1T receiver would only program with the original Genie remote that came with it; I couldn't program with a third party Liftmaster remote.

Still no luck. I erased all of the openers on the garage door. I added my normal opener and the light on the garage blinked and it worked as usual.
I added the Tesla and the garage blinked to indicate it was added successfully. I push the button… nothing.

I tried taking the bulbs out, reprogramming the car, reprogramming the door, cussing at the car, cussing at the door… nothing.
Ever figure this out?

Just had homelink installed in my tesla and am having the same issue. Currently live with my in-laws who have two different garage door openers (one for each door.) One is a chamberlain myq and the other is an older genie intellicode. Had no luck programming either of them in "D Mode" by pushing the learn button. My father in law has an 2019 Acura MDX and his car was set up the same way with the learn button and has no problem controller either door. Starting to wonder if the homelink module was correctly installed.

Just had homelink installed in my tesla and am having the same issue. Currently live with my in-laws who have two different garage door openers (one for each door.) One is a chamberlain myq and the other is an older genie intellicode. Had no luck programming either of them in "D Mode" by pushing the learn button. My father in law has an 2019 Acura MDX and his car was set up the same way with the learn button and has no problem controller either door. Starting to wonder if the homelink module was correctly installed.
Funny, I have the same two garage door openers and MDX. Anyways, I found on the genie, the battery in the clicker needed to be replaced. It was strong enough to trigger the door, but wasn't strong enough for the Tesla to learn it. I had no problem with the myq opener, but I installed that opener much later so the batteries were probably fresher.