Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Triggered by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a 2020 MYP with Homelink. For the past year, it has operated as expected. Today however, right after a software update (to 2021.4.18.11), the garage door opened without any action on my part. I wasn't near the car, and didn't have the Tesla app open on my phone. This isn't great to see, since I wouldn't want the garage to open in the middle of the night, etc. Has anyone seen this behavior? I do not have Homelink set in the car to open the garage automatically when I am near the house (that spot is NOT checked in the Homelink screen).
Thanks,
Mark

Hi, today for no apparent reason (my Tesla app wasn't connected, and I was not near the car), Homelink triggered and opened my garage door. I don't have Homelink set to automatically open when close to the garage, and I confirmed that setting was off. Anyone else had Homelink trigger a garage open unexpectedly?
Thanks
Mark

I've had the same thing happen a number of times now and sometimes in the middle of the night, where I'll walk into the garage in the morning and it'll be open. So basically anyone could walk in. There's really nothing else that could trigger the door to open as the tesla is the only car connected to that door and the only other way to open it is the physical button inside the garage.

I've had the same thing happen a number of times now and sometimes in the middle of the night, where I'll walk into the garage in the morning and it'll be open. So basically anyone could walk in. There's really nothing else that could trigger the door to open as the tesla is the only car connected to that door and the only other way to open it is the physical button inside the garage.
In my case, I don't know if was the car, but nothing else has the ability to open it other than a hard remote, which was in a drawer in the house. But, it could have been something else. It hasn't happened again, and to my knowledge never has before. The garage is alarmed, which is how I know it happened this time (alarm chime went off).

Well, this just happened to me for the first time. 2021 MY with freshly installed 2021.25.10 firmware. At 10:44, Tesla app sent a notification to my phone that Homelink had been activated. Ran to garage and sure enough, garage door was wide open.

MyQ confirmed garage door had closed at 6pm and next opened at 10:44. Video confirmed no uninvited guests. There was no inadvertent command to open as far as I can tell. I’m very glad to have been alerted by Tesla app, but WTF?

Well, this just happened to me for the first time. 2021 MY with freshly installed 2021.25.10 firmware. At 10:44, Tesla app sent a notification to my phone that Homelink had been activated. Ran to garage and sure enough, garage door was wide open.

MyQ confirmed garage door had closed at 6pm and next opened at 10:44. Video confirmed no uninvited guests. There was no inadvertent command to open as far as I can tell. I’m very glad to have been alerted by Tesla app, but WTF?
Got them dead to rights. With this information I'd recommend a service request and have them pull their logs and get this looked into by Tesla. I have a 2020 early build but never had any home link issue. I'm on 2021.24.10. Guess we'll see if the .25 is what triggers it, no pun intended.

True story. I was asking google for the proper spelling of pun and it came back with a joke. "Why does a duck have tail feathers? to cover its butt quack". Can't make this stuff up.....

On the night/morning December 27/28, 2021 my Model Y did a software update. At 5am, I used the switch on the wall to open the garage door. Unplugged charger. Opened trunk to put some bags in. Closed truck. Opened driver's door. When screen came on, it said software updated. Closed it. Also had message that car charged to 100%. I always have it set to 85%. Slid charge bar back to 85%. Put foot on brake and waited for all test lights to go out. Put car in R. Waited a second and started to back out of garage when then was this loud noise. The garage door closed on the trunk of my car. No warnings from car obviously since door came down from above. Garage door sensor is low so has to catch a tire in the beam to stop door. Pulled back into garage. Looked what happened and now late for work. Backed out slowly and door stayed open. I have always kept homelink set to manual. When I drive up to the garage door I push the homelink button to open. When I back out of garage I push the homelink button to close garage door. As I was driving away from the house I manually closed the garage door. I watched it go down but did not see it close all the way. My wife called me a couple of hours later and asked why I did not close the garage door. I said I had. Went to the local Tesla service department today. They will download the logs and I have an appointment for 2 weeks. The manage said this was not a Tesla problem or homelink issue and I was responsible for repairing the car. We shall see. To be continued. Anyone else seen this lately? Thanks.