Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink UI not the greatest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to click on my main garage door link in order to open/close it, only to accidentally click just below it and instead open/close my secondary garage door. Quite annoying. It is WAY too easy to accidentally click the wrong button there.

Couple this with the odd annoyance related to the fact that the Tesla “shotguns” the garage opening signal, theeeby fairly often resulting in the door stuttering when opening/closing (it’ll start moving for just a half second and then halt) makes the bad UI and errant garage door clicks that much worse. I’ve easily wasted at least an extra minute at times in my driveway pulling out simply because my finger was just a hair lower on the UI when I clicked it than I should have been.

That's definitely not the experience that I have. First, I rarely hit any button, it opens when I come home and closes when I leave, automagically.
A door stuttering isn't caused by the car, garage door signals are single "do it" with the function meaning move or stop. Stuttering would mean multiple attempts over a relatively long time of which you would see up, down, and stop motions.

Try reprogramming and then turning on the close on exit options.

To fix the "press the wrong button" problem, insert a dummy opener button between the first and second buttons. At least that'll keep the mis-press from messing with the secondary door.

TBH, since I've turned on auto-open/close(two or more months ago) and dialed in the location/distance, I've only actually had to press the actual button maybe twice when it didn't auto-whatever when it was supposed to.

Yeah when it auto-closes and opens correctly, there’s no problem with the ui obviously, but my opener causes the door to stutter quite frequently — although only when leaving the house. Works every time when returning... the stutter forces me to have to use the UI nearly every time I leave the house.

I just had a mobile tech at the house for an unrelated problem yesterday and mentioned this to him. He said he’s heard of the stuttering before, that they’re “working on fixing it in the software” (they always say this kind of stuff, so I take thiswith a grain of salt), and suggested it may be due to the angle of entry of my driveway, which is at a bit of an incline to my garage door. He also suggested I try different auto-trigger distances, but I’ve done every option now with same results.

A door stuttering isn't caused by the car, garage door signals are single "do it" with the function meaning move or stop. Stuttering would mean multiple attempts over a relatively long time of which you would see up, down, and stop motions.

I might not be describing it in the best way to make it clear, but it is definitely a problem with the car’s signal being sent to the door, and it’s definitely as a result of the signal being sent several times very rapidly, not over a long period of time. I’m not talking about the door beginning to close a part of the way and then randomly stopping or reversing. I’m talking about the door just beginning to close and then IMMEDIATELY halting, so that the door barely moves at all, basically only far enough for me to have noticed it tried.

According to mobile tech, the car sort of “shotguns” the signal multiple times rapidly. In my case, for whatever reason, this rapid succession of signals is causing the door to begin to close and then immediately halt. Whether the signal is auto-triggered or by hitting the UI button, the result is the same. I’ve found that the farther away from the door I am when sending the signal, the more likely it is to work normally. Unfortunately, though, I can’t set different auto distances for open and close, and the distance That works for closing is too far for opening (I.e. when I changed the distance to make the stuttering on close happen less frequently, then the auto-open began displaying the problem).

To hit the exact garage door button, I have to place my index and middle fingers at the top of the screen bezel to steady my hand and touch the button with my thumb.

I have not experienced your stop/start stutter issue with our garage door or our gate, both made by Liftmaster/Chamberlain. What brand or model is your opener? I wonder if there is some compatibility issue.

I don't know anything about the inner workings of garage door transmitters and receivers. Just speculating... How could a "shotgun" approach of firing multiple signals be an issue if they are using rolling code? Once the receiver processes the first signal, wouldn't that signal immediately become invalid because the rolling code it contains is a one-time use token? Shouldn't the repeated signal get rejected?

To hit the exact garage door button, I have to place my index and middle fingers at the top of the screen bezel to steady my hand and touch the button with my thumb.

I have not experienced your stop/start stutter issue with our garage door or our gate, both made by Liftmaster/Chamberlain. What brand or model is your opener? I wonder if there is some compatibility issue.

I don't know anything about the inner workings of garage door transmitters and receivers. Just speculating... How could a "shotgun" approach of firing multiple signals be an issue if they are using rolling code? Once the receiver processes the first signal, wouldn't that signal immediately become invalid because the rolling code it contains is a one-time use token? Shouldn't the repeated signal get rejected?

Ours is made by Guardian, so unfortunately can’t narrow it down from that. It’s true a rolling code should only work once, but for whatever reason, this clearly isn’t invalidating like it should. I can’t say for certain if it’s the Motor’s fault or the car, but I haven’t been able to find anything showing this to be a known issue previously with Guardians, whereas the Tesla tech mentioned that Tesla was supposedly “improving” their software on this

I have to do the same thing...I often am trying to press the button as I drive up the driveway...so the car is shaking slightly.

This is a general complaint about a lot of the UI. Many messages/fonts/buttons are smaller than they need to be considering the screen is quite large. If there is an important warning or something that needs attention I don't really need to be clearly seeing a lot more of my Nav map.

• Love
Reactions: notAnExpert
... This is a general complaint about a lot of the UI. Many messages/fonts/buttons are smaller than they need to be considering the screen is quite large. If there is an important warning or something that needs attention I don't really need to be clearly seeing a lot more of my Nav map.

Absolutely! I’ve been thinking the same since we got the car. I think the UI in general can be improved for use while driving. Apple CarPlay does a pretty good job of reducing clutter, increasing font size and button size, and locating the buttons at the right places on the screen. I hope Tesla picks up some cues from CarPlay.

Reactions: SVMike