Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink Unreliable with Auto-close…???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had TESLA service install my HomeLink that I purchased from TESLA. It was expensive, but it works great—except for Auto-close, which only seems to work about 20% of the time.

I had TESLA Service come out to my house, and even their technician was bamboozled. He had to do more research and get back to me. He discovered from TESLA internal publications that Auto-close is triggered by what gear your TESLA is in and what gear it was in previous to leaving your home. I pull FWD into my garage, but sometimes I put my TESLA in R to adjust my parking position. This messes with Auto-close. You would think that HomeLink relies on GPS or cellular triangulation to trigger Auto-close, but it doesn’t! As long as I pull straight into my garage and don’t put it in R until I am ready to leave (and my TESLA has traveled at least 7m distance), then Auto-close will trigger automatically.

This is interesting because I don’t believe the new TESLA support for MyQ works this way. I’m fact, I don’t think it uses radio signals to OPEN/CLOSE the garage door at all, but rather, I think it uses the internet via cellular data—unlike HomeLink.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
This is interesting because I don’t believe the new TESLA support for MyQ works this way. I’m fact, I don’t think it uses radio signals to OPEN/CLOSE the garage door at all, but rather, I think it uses the internet via cellular data—unlike HomeLink.
Yes, myQ works via geofencing. And you need Tesla’s Premium Connectivity along with a myQ subscription ($49/yr or $179/5 years). It does add up and both have their pros/cons, but the myQ hardware is only $19.98.

Yes, myQ works via geofencing. And you need Tesla’s Premium Connectivity along with a myQ subscription ($49/yr or $179/5 years). It does add up and both have their pros/cons, but the myQ hardware is only $19.98.
Does HomeLink have the MyQ hardware built-in? My 2023 Model Y has HomeLink but also works with MyQ (I do have Premium Connectivity).

Why in the world doesn’t Auto-close with HomeLink work with geofencing like Auto-open does!??? (As I stated above, the TESLA Technician confirmed both for me.)

I think auto-close is a huge risk and would be better that it didn't exist. It just takes one wrong move, maybe you drive into your garage, stop half way as there is something in the way, get out to move the blockage, meanwhile your Tesla has decided to close the garage door onto its glass roof... Until it's smart enough to know that it is definitey all of the way into the garage, definitely far enough in so that its not going to scrap the back etc....

I think auto-close is a huge risk and would be better that it didn't exist. It just takes one wrong move, maybe you drive into your garage, stop half way as there is something in the way, get out to move the blockage, meanwhile your Tesla has decided to close the garage door onto its glass roof... Until it's smart enough to know that it is definitey all of the way into the garage, definitely far enough in so that its not going to scrap the back etc....
My garage door sensors are installed and working properly. No offense, but I disagree. Now that I understand how Auto-close works, it works excellently for me. Granted, I don’t have pets or small children and no morons live at my house. LOL
(I say “now that I understand how Auto-close works” because I would pull in and often back up a few inches, having pulled in too far. This messes with Auto-close, as it relies on the last gear the TESLA was in. If I pull in too far and back up, even a few inches, it will “skip” Auto-close the next time I back out. Now that I understand this nuance, it works great!)
To be sure, the new MyQ enabled solution is far superior, as it relies on geolocation for both Auto-open and Auto-close, unlike HomeLink, which only uses geolocation for Auto-open but relies on gear selection and a MIN distance traveled (7m) when exiting the garage.

Reactions: TechM3
My understanding is autoclose works with gps location as can be seen when approaching the door and when exiting as there is a countdown/up distance displayed. I did find out that if you open the garage door when leaving the garage after you select drive or reverse to exit, it will mess up the auto close. The correct way is to open the garage door before selecting drive or reverse and then autoclose works as it should.

On another note, they removed the large homelink activation message from the screen with the latest update. Now you need to press the tiny homelink "activate" icon on top of the screen adjacent to the homelink icon to open the door.

Good point. Everyone make sure the sensors on on your garage door rails are adjusted to a height that will break the beam if your car is stopped before fully inside.
Alternatively, leave the sensors where they are as designed, and add a 2nd set of sensors at car body height. I did that early on in my Model 3 ownership as I almost had the door come down on the car when it triggered the closing mechanism with the car about half way into the garage. Now, with two sets of sensors, I‘m immune to such issues. I was able to add the second set in about 20 minutes, $30 at a local home improvement or hardware store. Well worth it for me.

My understanding is autoclose works with gps location as can be seen when approaching the door and when exiting as there is a countdown/up distance displayed. I did find out that if you open the garage door when leaving the garage after you select drive or reverse to exit, it will mess up the auto close. The correct way is to open the garage door before selecting drive or reverse and then autoclose works as it should.

On another note, they removed the large homelink activation message from the screen with the latest update. Now you need to press the tiny homelink "activate" icon on top of the screen adjacent to the homelink icon to open the door.
Auto-open uses geo-location but auto-close is triggered by the opposite drive gear from your approach at auto-open (reverse triggers if you entered in drive and vice versa) after the car has moved 7m upon exiting the garage. Auto-close DOES NOT use geo-location.

This info came from a TESLA technician who referenced an internally published article for TESLA technicians.

• Informative
Reactions: Midnightsun
This auto open, auto close feature sounds awfully complicated to me (my career is in firmware design and development, retired 10 yrs ago). I learn the KISS rule is the best. Keep it simple and use the garage door remote control instead. It works every time.
Try to guess how software behaves, 9 out of ten, I got it right. But one wrong could do damage.