Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink usefullness vs regular garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to watch YT video reviews of it, but I'm still a little puzzled: Can I use the Homelink in the car like I would use the clicker?

I mean does it HAVE to use the prox sensor? I'm not sure I'd want that, especially with two cars and a rolling gate

lol - I accidentally types Holink. Now there's a product waiting for a market!
You don't have to use the auto function. You can simply tap on the screen to make it operate just like a physical button.

Reactions: MYMY21
You could just tap the "skip" button when pulling up so the auto function did not trigger
Yea, but tapping the skip is akin to you tapping a regular garage door opener.

I had Homelink on my Model S and was excited to use it but it quickly became more of a nuisance having to hit skip at times, or activating it again when it closed an open garage door, etc. The feature came with the S but I eventually disabled the auto door option and just tapped the screen when I wanted to genuinely open or close the door.

On the Y, I’m perfectly happy using an old style “low tech” garage door opener. At least it works 100% of the time I want it to.

The auto Homelink function would be perfect if I lived by myself, but it doesn’t fit our needs as a family.

Reactions: Grandpa Gebis
I haven’t seen where HomeLink cares if the car is in forward or reverse. It’s all a distance thing. If you’re backing in the door should have already opened as you drove up if you have correctly set your distance to open to fit your situation.
I tested with my car today and I can confirm that Homelink works fine in reverse. (You can also see on the screen when it's sending a signal out.) If it's not working it's due to reception issues.

Reactions: mcsenerd
The only positives for me are: 1) The automatic function and 2) The ability to open my garage door from my phone when playing with my kids outside. That way all I have to carry is my phone.

That being said, it's glitchy enough, and costly enough, that if I had to do it again, I would not purchase it. It's by no means expensive, but IMHO, it's not worth the cost. A regular old clicker is more reliable, just not as slick.

The only positives for me are: 1) The automatic function and 2) The ability to open my garage door from my phone when playing with my kids outside. That way all I have to carry is my phone.

That being said, it's glitchy enough, and costly enough, that if I had to do it again, I would not purchase it. It's by no means expensive, but IMHO, it's not worth the cost. A regular old clicker is more reliable, just not as slick.

Not only that but a $25 myQ wireless garage door opener can also be activated through the app on your phone, from anywhere. The app even alerts you if the garage is left open.

Reactions: MYMY21
We have a garage with two doors. Previously, we had two older Model 3s with Homelink. I love it and assumed my wife did also. I love the full integration, and it works exactly how I want 99% of the time.

We recently bought a Model Y for the wife. I mentioned I was going to order Homelink for her, but to my surprise, she declined. Part of it is she didn't want to pay $325. But she indicated she actually preferred using the garage door opener rather than having Homelink automatically open and close the door. She keeps the garage door opener in the wireless phone charger. I offered to tape it to the back of the screen as others here have done, but she didn't want that either.

I don't get it. But as others have said, it's all about personal preference.

We have a garage with two doors. Previously, we had two older Model 3s with Homelink. I love it and assumed my wife did also. I love the full integration, and it works exactly how I want 99% of the time.

We recently bought a Model Y for the wife. I mentioned I was going to order Homelink for her, but to my surprise, she declined. Part of it is she didn't want to pay $325. But she indicated she actually preferred using the garage door opener rather than having Homelink automatically open and close the door. She keeps the garage door opener in the wireless phone charger. I offered to tape it to the back of the screen as others here have done, but she didn't want that either.

I don't get it. But as others have said, it's all about personal preference.
I do all my banking online but my wife still prefers paper statements — shrug. She also prefers the garage clicker and keeping $325 (as do I). We velcro the clicker behind the screen and this is what my wife uses the wireless charging station for:

07D284E5-BB1B-4B1D-B64F-4831B73F9009.jpeg

I tested with my car today and I can confirm that Homelink works fine in reverse. (You can also see on the screen when it's sending a signal out.) If it's not working it's due to reception issues.
If I am backed into my driveway and have the garage door open when leaving, driving straight out and to the left down the street will not close the garage door. This is a fact for me and is 100% repeatable.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
If I am backed into my driveway and have the garage door open when leaving, driving straight out and to the left down the street will not close the garage door. This is a fact for me and is 100% repeatable.
Do you see the homelink icon on the screen indicate that it’s transmitting? It may well be that it’s transmitting but the garage door isn’t picking up the signal.

What distance do you have set on it? If you have it set for a longer distance that will also play a role.

This is a great thread and after reading all the comments, I've changed my mind and won't be ordering Homelink for my MYLR. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!
Agreed, good old clicker seems the way to go for me too. We have a detached garage, so don't have the same fear of someone stealing the clicker and getting into my house. I'll save the $325 and use it to update/upgrade my garage door opener instead. Thanks all for the info!

Reactions: Tedkidd
Yep, for that price you can buy a web connected garage door opener.
My Q app notifies me if I've left the garage open.

The auto open and close feature, which is really neat, doesn't work for crap where I am (lots of emi) and because I back into my spot on the left (the home-link transmits out the front). And until I can put a gps pin on where I want the car to be and can say "pull out of the garage" and have it go there, it is more effort than convenience.

That said, auto home-link worked great when we had a loaner for the car that parks forward on the right, but still doesn't recognize "open" or "closed".

Biggest miss is is that you can’t order the Tesla Y with this option. It’s been a factory option on many cars for 10 years or more. My 2010 Audi had it. Our 2013 Toyota Highlander had it off the lot, no service center appt required. For now I’m using my garage door opener that I somehow found in the junk drawer….

Reactions: rickybobbee
Biggest miss is is that you can’t order the Tesla Y with this option. It’s been a factory option on many cars for 10 years or more. My 2010 Audi had it. Our 2013 Toyota Highlander had it off the lot, no service center appt required. For now I’m using my garage door opener that I somehow found in the junk drawer….
They install it by mobile service. No need to go anywhere.