Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink usefullness vs regular garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in other words, yours doesn't send open garage signal when your car is in reverse either?
...and I bet it doesn't auto close when you drive away.

🤦‍♀️

I back into my garage exclusively and it works just fine. I don’t have a clue why anyone would believe it wouldn’t… ok…I “guess” if you’ve got a 1 mile long driveway and like to back in down it, then it might not be oriented in a way that would open it as you approach the geofence, but if you make a normal T maneuver to back into a garage, the built-in homelink “should” (or at least it does on mine) trigger as you approach the garage headed in…

I agree with the possible interference and reception issues. I have none of the sort personally, and it also ALWAYS closes as I depart driving forward out of my garage. If it didn’t work well for me, then I’d be upset too…but mine works fine.

I like having homelink in my car but there is one major drawback for my particular model garage door opener: homelink doesn’t know if the garage is open or closed. So if the garage door is already open when I pull up the driveway, homelink will close it. So I find that I use it regularly but manually. Others are correct in that it also does not work automatically when reversing into the garage.

I think that's my problem too - I don't even have a garage, let alone a garage door, but I DO have a rolling gate and it uses a pretty old system with dipswitches. The Homelink on the mirror of the PriusV works with the gate, but I have to press a button to activate the gate. I think I prefer it that way, all this automatic opening and closing ... I think I'd be worried that I'd gone off and left the gate open

...plus due to where I mounted the HPWC I'll probably have to reverse into the driveway

didn't see it mentioned but in addition to automatically opening your garage when you arrive, it can also auto- fold the mirrors.

May not matter to you, but it might if you have a tight garage.
The Tesla vehicle can be set to remember to auto fold the side mirrors for a specific location such as the Home Location or a car wash without having Homelink installed.

I agree with the possible interference and reception issues. I have none of the sort personally, and it also ALWAYS closes as I depart driving forward out of my garage. If it didn’t work well for me, then I’d be upset too…but mine works fine.
I am not at all upset. I just share my experience for the benefit of others. For me, this issue of the car in reverse doesn’t matter. The “show stopper” is that the system doesn’t know if the door is open or closed. Many times the door is already open when I arrive home. Homelink doesn’t know and would close the door. Like I said, likely a function of my older garage opener.

I am not at all upset. I just share my experience for the benefit of others. For me, this issue of the car in reverse doesn’t matter. The “show stopper” is that the system doesn’t know if the door is open or closed. Many times the door is already open when I arrive home. Homelink doesn’t know and would close the door. Like I said, likely a function of my older garage opener.
You could just tap the "skip" button when pulling up so the auto function did not trigger

Reactions: MYMY21
It came included in my X. It is a delight to have your garage door recognize you are coming home, and open up when you enter the driveway. It also realizes you are leaving and closes your garage when you leave. It sounds a friendly chime when it opens of closes your door to signify it has done its job.

It is similar to the feeling when the X recognizes you approaching your door and it opens automatically. Then closes again by itself when you touch the brake.

Little things for sure, but welcome none the less.

Nice thing is that now Homelink is offered as an option. Buyers can choose to save some cash and do without, or pay the fee and enjoy the automation.

FWIW, we are pleased with our Homelink purchase. We also have the MyQ setup and can open/close with our apps, but that can be slow at times (and the annoying chiming prior to closing is a pain). It's not a trivial purchase, but the tight integration the Homelink module has with the car makes it worth it, in my opinion.

I agree with the possible interference and reception issues. I have none of the sort personally, and it also ALWAYS closes as I depart driving forward out of my garage. If it didn’t work well for me, then I’d be upset too…but mine works fine

Automatically? What distance do you have in settings? Does it show you countdown?

My countdown starts when I back in the driveway, but freezes, and I don't get countdown leaving.

There are so many things I'd rather spend that money on - I'd probably use it if it were included, but I'm not going to spend extra on it.

I used Velcro to attach my clicker to the back of my screen. No problems.
Homelink is a luxury & convenience item. some automakers include standard and many include it as part of an option package. Like anything, it's a personal decision whether it's worth it to you.

I haven’t seen where HomeLink cares if the car is in forward or reverse. It’s all a distance thing. If you’re backing in the door should have already opened as you drove up if you have correctly set your distance to open to fit your situation.
I suspect the issue is not whether it transmits in forward or reverse but whether the signal is shielded. The transmitter is in the front bumper, so if you are not facing the garage the signal is probably weaker when it reaches the garage.

Another tip is that CFL and LED bulbs can emit RF interference that interferes with the remotes. We had this issue a few years ago and I ended up getting a special garage door LED bulb from Home Depot that fixed it.

Homelink is a luxury & convenience item. some automakers include standard and many include it as part of an option package. Like anything, it's a personal decision whether it's worth it to you.

I suspect the issue is not whether it transmits in forward or reverse but whether the signal is shielded. The transmitter is in the front bumper, so if you are not facing the garage the signal is probably weaker when it reaches the garage.

Another tip is that CFL and LED bulbs can emit RF interference that interferes with the remotes. We had this issue a few years ago and I ended up getting a special garage door LED bulb from Home Depot that fixed it.
HomeLink will begin opening my door more than 70 feet from my home if I want. In my situation it certainly isn't being shielded by any part of the car.

What kind of distance from the door are you folks with opening issues setting for HomeLink transmit the opening command?? Like I said the door would have long already opened before I even started backing in my driveway ...

Homelink in any vehicle is basically a luxury item. It doesn’t work any better than any clicker that comes with the garage opener, just that it’s integrated into your car. I think whether you think it’s worth it or not purely depends on how much you like to have things integrated into the car. I’ve always liked having Homelink in my cars so I sprung for it in the Model Y. I think it comes down to whether you want the integration. If you do, $325 really isn’t much compared to the $60k you’ve already spent on the car. If you don’t care for the integration, you’ve “saved” $325.

As for the auto open feature, I quite enjoy having it. My garage door is rarely open by someone else when I arrive home, and it hasn’t mis-fired in the month and a half I’ve had it, so it has worked out well for me so far.

As for the auto open feature, I quite enjoy having it. My garage door is rarely open by someone else when I arrive home, and it hasn’t mis-fired in the month and a half I’ve had it, so it has worked out well for me so far.
That was my main concern, but in practice, if I see the garage open, I have plenty of time to cancel the auto-open (close in this case).

it would be nice if homelink app would give option to open any of the 3 doors programmed in the car. it only opens one door and only the last one that was programmed for the car.....so for me it's always the wrong door until I take the time to reprogram all the doors again but then will still only be able to open one door from the app

I tried to watch YT video reviews of it, but I'm still a little puzzled: Can I use the Homelink in the car like I would use the clicker?

I mean does it HAVE to use the prox sensor? I'm not sure I'd want that, especially with two cars and a rolling gate

lol - I accidentally types Holink. Now there's a product waiting for a market!