Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink very flaky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've deleted and re-synced my remote, I still get regular failures. Yesterday I had to hit the button twice to get it to close the garage. I haven't reported this to the service center because it seems clear this is not an isolated issue but endemic to Tesla's implementation.

I've deleted and re-synced my remote, I still get regular failures. Yesterday I had to hit the button twice to get it to close the garage. I haven't reported this to the service center because it seems clear this is not an isolated issue but endemic to Tesla's implementation.

Twice wouldn't be that big of a deal. I've had to hit it 15 times. :(

Twice wouldn't be that big of a deal. I've had to hit it 15 times. :(
I give up after 5 or 6 times and get out of the car to use the button by the garage. Then it works fine the next time I drive. I can't figure out a pattern to when it works and when it doesn't, other than its almost always a problem opening the door rather than closing it. I've even cleared the LiftMaster and reprogrammed the remotes, then the car.

My bet is that there is something in the car that is interfering with the signal. That would explain the intermittence. I notice that whenever Homelink fails, I also happen to have the radio turned on pretty loud. I'm just guessing.

Except that for me, one door has this problem, but not the second door. Same openers, same location, etc.

Yesterday I tried to use it twice. The first time I had to press the button twice (not incredibly unusual), but it worked to close the door. The second time, it opened the door on the first press of the button.

No rhyme or reason to how or why it would work well for me for 4 months, not work at all for a day, and resume without issue the next day.

I have been having the same issue with both garage and gate lately... This has not happened before in 2 years of ownership. Must be a firmware issue. It seems like it usually works 1 out of 3 tries.

Same experience as Chipper. The Homelike was working reliably for a long time - and then started getting flaky - requiring multiple presses before the opener would respond. The handheld openers were working fine - only the Model S was having problems. And, I have a second garage door - that continued to work OK with the Model S - the problem was only with one of the two openers.

So I deleted and then re-programmed the Homelink for the one door that was having issues - and it's been working reliably since.

Same experience as Chipper. The Homelike was working reliably for a long time - and then started getting flaky - requiring multiple presses before the opener would respond. The handheld openers were working fine - only the Model S was having problems. And, I have a second garage door - that continued to work OK with the Model S - the problem was only with one of the two openers.

So I deleted and then re-programmed the Homelink for the one door that was having issues - and it's been working reliably since.

I should have mentioned both of my doors worked reliability for quite awhile too. I suspect a firmware change.

By chance, was it the first door on your list that had the problem? And/or the door you use more frequently? Since we have at least two datapoint stay suggest the behavior can impact only one door when two or more are programmed, I'm curious if we can determine what is different about the one.

I hadn't updated in some time before the day that things suddenly stopped working, so I'm not sure if we can really point to that as the cause. And since Homelink's been working for me again in what appears to be a normal fashion without any other updates, I have an even harder time pointing to a system level change being the source of my issue.

It was the first door on my list.

However, rather than position - the problem might be because that's the door I open almost all of the time - and rarely use the other door.

Perhaps the problem is not due to a firmware change or position in the list, but in how many times the opener has been used - and maybe that's causing the car and the garage door opener to get "out of sync" in the "rolling codes" implementation for Homelink.

I too have had homelink act up. It was perfect for a long while after receiving my car (~7 months) and then in the past ~3 months, it often required multiple attempts before it would open/close the garage. It seemed to be worse if the rear of the car was facing the garage, and better the other way around.

Well, it seems like v7 may have addressed the issue for me. The issue itself was somewhat intermittent (would act up worse sometimes compared to other times), but for the few times i've used homelink since updating yesterday morning, it has worked first time every time. Fingers crossed it stays working, and I hope others get the same benefit from the update.

With a few more days of use behind me, V7 certainly seems like it has improved homelink for me. There was one situation where I had to press the button multiple times, but other than that one outlier, every other use of homelink has been successful on the first attempt, something I had not experienced in the last couple of months.