Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink very flaky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a different HomeLink problem.

It seems that the homelink has to keep a constant connection with the door to work. I tap the button before I turn onto my driveway because it's very steep. The door starts to go up, but then as I turn in to the drive and the nose of the car is pointed in to the slope of the driveway, sometimes the door stops midway. I then have to tap it again so the door goes down, then a third time so it goes up again.

On my other cars, I had to program the Homelink using the training button on the garage door system. I didn't have to do that with Tesla. But the other cars didn't need a "constant connection" to work.

Anyone else experience this?

I have a different HomeLink problem.

It seems that the homelink has to keep a constant connection with the door to work. I tap the button before I turn onto my driveway because it's very steep. The door starts to go up, but then as I turn in to the drive and the nose of the car is pointed in to the slope of the driveway, sometimes the door stops midway. I then have to tap it again so the door goes down, then a third time so it goes up again.

On my other cars, I had to program the Homelink using the training button on the garage door system. I didn't have to do that with Tesla. But the other cars didn't need a "constant connection" to work.

Anyone else experience this?

Mine is only a one second long pulse, according to the icon on the dash. It does not stay on. You might try using the training button and setting it up again.

But mine also only works from about 30 feet. Must be the construction around the sensors.

After being in the house 23 years I decided to upgrade our garage door opener. We went with a Liftmaster 8500 and since then the car connects consistently and at longer range.

Although I think the new door opener has an impact but more importantly they are both designed to work with the new homelink standard. Homelink has gone through an evolution. My wife's 2004 Explorer is not compatible with newer Homelink transceivers. It requires a repeater to do translation with the new garage door opener. Both cars work great now.

Same experience as Chipper. The Homelike was working reliably for a long time - and then started getting flaky - requiring multiple presses before the opener would respond. The handheld openers were working fine - only the Model S was having problems. And, I have a second garage door - that continued to work OK with the Model S - the problem was only with one of the two openers.

So I deleted and then re-programmed the Homelink for the one door that was having issues - and it's been working reliably since.

Last week I started having a similar problem after nearly three months of problem-free operation. I have three settings in my homelink -- one for the driveway gate, and one for each garage door. The garage door openers have rolling code security, which made initial programming a couple steps longer, and the gate opener does not. The homelink for the garage doors continues to work perfectly, but it now won't work with my gate at all -- but not in a way that seems consistent with what others have described in this thread.

Rather than not getting any signal, the gate seems to receive MULTIPLE signals with each press of the button. This causes the gate to open about a foot, then stop suddenly. I have reprogrammed the homelink button from the handheld remote control for the gate multiple times, and with a fresh battery in the remote, to no avail. Rebooting the MCU also had no effect.

The gate works fine with the handheld remote, and fine with our other cars with homelink transmitters set up. It is only the Tesla that is having the problem, and it's more than a little frustrating.

I'd sure appreciate any helpful ideas!

Odd one for me, I had what should have been completely unrelated work done at the service centre in Vancouver (add fog lights, replace Frunk latch) and when I got home the homelink wouldn't work at all, reboots did not solve it, but 3 days later it spontaneously started working again and no problems since.

Still no idea what happened.

Changing transmit modes may provide a firmware update to the Homelink module.

I've always had signal strength problems with the homelink transmitter in my 2013 Tesla. A handheld remote will work fine from the car but the Tesla's transmitter would generally not work unless very close and even then about half the time the door would stutter and stop.

A week ago I accidentally deleted my door entry. In the process of re-programming it I came across the selector for transmit modes (standard, rolling-code, Chamberlain). Never saw this before - it must have been part of some software update. So, I tried switching to rolling code, which didn't work, and then back to standard. Each time you switch transmit modes it takes about 30 seconds or so to process and erases all locations. I think it tosses a different firmware build into the Homelink module for each mode. And I suspect that in the process of bouncing back and forth I received a better "standard" build of the firmware. My Homelink operation is now golden.

An unexpected upgrade for my 3.5 year old car.

I've always had signal strength problems with the homelink transmitter in my 2013 Tesla. A handheld remote will work fine from the car but the Tesla's transmitter would generally not work unless very close and even then about half the time the door would stutter and stop.

Opposite for me. My early 2013 has had fantastic Homelink performance. I can call up the drop down almost before I can see my driveway, hit the button and the door opens every time. I also have it set up at a second property I own and it works the same there. It is very odd that the performance can vary so much between cars.

Opposite for me. My early 2013 has had fantastic Homelink performance. I can call up the drop down almost before I can see my driveway, hit the button and the door opens every time. I also have it set up at a second property I own and it works the same there. It is very odd that the performance can vary so much between cars.

And now my Homelink performance is also fantastic. Same hardware as before - simply bounced the transmit mode back and forth during reprogramming. Multiple reprogramming attempts in the past never improved anything but toggling the transmit mode twice seems to have fixed everything.