Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink w/Summon & Auto-open/close - is new opener necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got Homelink setup on my garage door and it works fine from my car's touchscreen to manually open/close. I've got summon setup and it works fine from my app. I've updated to both the latest App and the car's software. I've heard that I should be able to control Homelink from my app, but I haven't been able to figure it out, and the local Tesla dealer couldn't either. I was told by another Tesla owner that an icon for homelink will appear on the Summon page so I can manually open & close the garage door, but I don't see anything. I've tried turning Homelink on & off from the car's Customize Summon page to no effect. How is this supposed to work?

One thing that bothers me is that I have a really old garage door opener - 1989 (hey, they built them to last back then!). I was able to program Homelink to my old door no problem, but I've read that Homelink can now talk two-way to communicate if the door is up/down for example. I've read the Tesla manual and it doesn't mention if Summon & Homelink require such two-way communication to operate but I have a suspicion this is the problem.

I've tried turning on Homelink to auto-open & close but that's never worked... that seems like more evidence this is the problem.

Does anyone know if there's a requirement to have a "new" garage door opener, or what's the oldest garage door opener that is working for someone with Summon or auto-open/close? I'm not planning on using auto-open/close but I would really really like to be able to open/close the garage door manually from the summon page of the app.

There is an icon at the top of the summon page to open/close. I have a garage door and gate on my Homelink and only the garage door has the icon - I only have auto-close set up for the garage so that may be the difference.

When you set to auto-open, did you also add auto-close? I am assuming you have "Use Auto Homelink" to on.

What type of system is your garage opener? My garage is a "rolling-code" system while the gate is a 10-pin remote - that could also be the difference.

I'm 99% sure that if you can control your garage in any way through Homelink then it should work for any other Homelink function, like auto open. The basic function is just one-way, toggle open/close. Not sure why the location-based functions don't work while the manual press does. Is there actually a location programmed into Homelink, and is it the correct location? You can reset the location and distance settings at any time using the Homelink settings in the car.

Thank you, Animorph! I wasn't asked about a location when I programmed it, but I double checked and clicked the "reset location" and then it worked! Now the homelink icon is a bright green when at home - it didn't use to do that, and there's a homelink icon in the upper right of my app's summon page. I got the auto-open to work upon returning to the garage. I also had auto-close pop-up before leaving but I was too scared to try it. So an important diagnostic is whether the Homelink icon at the top of the console is bright green when you're at home.

I'm curious for those who do have modern openers with two-way communication - do you get additional features?