TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Homelink will not work

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Impala1ss, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Member

I have gone through the Homelink setup in my new MS at least 12 times and it simply will not open the garage door. I have followed every step in the instructions religiously, the headlights flash, the opener in the garages flashes for programming, etc. yet am not able to setup. I understand that the Homelink touch button (picture of house) should turn green when properly set up but mine is still gray. The garage door opener is a 2 yr. old Genie which works perfectly with its remotes but not with my car. Is anyone else having this problem or is my Tesla Homelink software defective?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

According to this thread, Genie should work... List of Homelink Garage Door Openers That Work

A couple of things from that thread car location (see thread) and how about LED lights in the garage?

And, always a good idea, did you try rebooting the car in the usual fashion (hold down scroll wheels)?

3. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Mine does work, but not well, the range is nothing compared to the remote that came with the opener, so much to my annoyance, I have that clipped to the sunvisor.

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Another item in that thread, someone lengthened their opener's antenna and it helped. Something to try, as they are usually just a piece of wire and it might help pick up the signal from the Tesla's transmitter.

(BTW, got a pile of your stuff waiting for my new X! :D )

5. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Thanks, I did that, extended the antenna outside the garage, but still no joy. I think they (Liftmaster) make a widget that amplifies the signal, but it's not compatible with my model. Not a big deal, but I do miss the door opening automatically. And yay for buying a pile of stuff :)

• Like x 1
  6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

• Informative x 1
  7. Nosken

Nosken Member

Does your opener have an LED light? There have been reports of LED lights creating some sort of interference, not just with Teslas. It is a problem with some openers.

• Like x 1
  8. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Member

No LED's, HomeLink Analysis and Troubleshooting | TeslaTap does not fix problem. Could it be the Tesla's circuitry. Homelink doesn't work and Summon (app) usually gives me a can not connect or car disconnected. I'm guessing that Summon works with bluetooth since you are probably not connected to wi-fi all the time but it seems unusual that I would have problems with 2 separate wireless processes.

9. lucy

lucy bluehair

I had the same problem after a Ranger reset my software trying to fix another problem- my Homelink has never worked since then. Back to the old remote on the visor, like a cave man or something!

But at least I don't come home and see my garage is open because I parked in the driveway and the Homelink opened the door in error unnoticed as I left. :eek:

Overall, I'm happier with the remote. :D

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It’s strange. The actual unit in the Tesla is by homelink if I understand correctly. But yes, my remote works much better.

• Like x 1