Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink with multiple devices in close proximity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this has been asked/answered before, apologies and please direct me to the appropriate thread.

My home has a gate and a garage door in close proximity (about 2 car lengths apart). The gate has an old Link multi-code system, while the garage is a modern system.

Programming the Tesla for both devices is not a problem. The problem is, when I set them both to be auto-opened, the system always tries to fire both signals nearly simultaneously. I've tried many ways to set the location for each so that there is more of a natural delay based on proximity, but to no avail. As I approach the gate, I hear the chime twice in quick succession, and either the garage or the gate wins. Never do both open, and sometimes neither responds.

If I remove the garage door from auto-open, the gate opens reliably on approach. I can then manually select the garage and it opens right up. This behavior tells me the two transmissions are somehow interfering.

Is there any way at all to get a bit of a pause between device one and device two? The current behavior seems like a bug to me.

The auto open is GPS based, so setting them up from different locations should help, i.e. in front or even inside the garage and the other a little down the road from the gate.... I can't remember, the count down till opening starts at 50 ft? so would be best to have them that far or more apart when learning the locations. good luck

I drove my car into the backyard behind the garage and set that to be the garage door open location. It now opens the garage door when I am 5 feet from the door. Using Tesla's method it tried to open the door while I was still in the street 75 feet away from the door. That never worked.

Reactions: jjh1234
I've not found a solution. I consider this a bug. The system should recognize that it is trying to fire multiple signals at once and sequence them. Blindly firing them based only on GPS is wrong. I'll be submitting a support request of some kind. I'm sure Elon will have it fixed in 3 months, or 6 months for sure.