Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Brought my Model 3 home a while ago and was programming Homelink. My other car is a ICE vehicle, so I need garage door remote still. Programming Homelink went fairly well, but when I did, the remotes stopped working as did the key pad. I switched back to remotes, and forgot about it, but would really like to get homelink working as I am planning to get another Tesla soon. Any idea what went wrong?

Have you programmed several remotes and/or cars with homelink to your garage door? I believe garage doors have a limited amount of codes it can learn/be programmed for. There's a way to clear the memory from the garage door opener, varies by model. You may need to clear and redo your active remotes and home link cars.

Have you programmed several remotes and/or cars with homelink to your garage door? I believe garage doors have a limited amount of codes it can learn/be programmed for. There's a way to clear the memory from the garage door opener, varies by model. You may need to clear and redo your active remotes and home link cars.
That’s exactly what it was. I cleared the others and it worked.

Home link works if icon pressed, but I can not get the auto open or close to work. Any ideas?

Tesla recommends your car be outside near the garage door when you program the remote. The car will use that location to determine how far you are from the garage door to trigger the auto open or auto close. You should hear a chime when the car initiates the open/close. For auto open, when you are approaching your garage door, the home link icon on the screen should show the distance of your car and garage in feet to show that you are near and gives you the opportunity to cancel the auto open action (if needed) before it opens. Similarly for auto close, as you leave your garage, it'll show the distance as you move away from the garage before it triggers the close.

I back up into my garage and actually programmed my car inside the garage. The auto open and auto close work perfectly. I set the distance to be about 10 ft to trigger the home link.