Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink won't learn my gate code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had the homelink garage door opener installed and when I try to learn the code for my gate at work the software thinks there is a pairing button on the receiver. There is no such pairing button and I successfully learned the code into my 2018 M3 a couple years ago (without even paying $300!). It learned my garage door code properly, so I think the transmitter is working. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I've tried deleting and relearning a bunch of times, soft reboot, etc.

I just had the homelink garage door opener installed and when I try to learn the code for my gate at work the software thinks there is a pairing button on the receiver. There is no such pairing button and I successfully learned the code into my 2018 M3 a couple years ago (without even paying $300!). It learned my garage door code properly, so I think the transmitter is working. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I've tried deleting and relearning a bunch of times, soft reboot, etc.
It depends on the gate manufacturer. Most gates require a "learn" be done right after pairing the car to homelink. I have Liftmaster, at there is a yellow button on the interior control panel that needs to be pushed to teach homelink the code. Really very simple.

Reactions: Bobbo8
Why would a dealer mention it? I thought $300 was a reasonable charge for a functional device especially when compared to hundred's spent for window tint and thousands spent for PPF. The module replaces 3 fobs for me (garage and 2 gates).

Why? Well, because it's their job to inform me of features and options. And a potential sale.

Comparing Homelink to window tint and PPF is useless. Completely different animals. Windows are already tinted just fine for me. PPF is a consideration for now just in some small areas. I just want to open my garage door. Neither of those things will do that.

Why? Well, because it's their job to inform me of features and options. And a potential sale.

Comparing Homelink to window tint and PPF is useless. Completely different animals.

We don’t have Tesla dealers in Texas so it’s left up to prospective buyers to do their research on options, etc. It should be obvious that I wasn’t comparing the functionality of the Homelink module to window tint but comparing the aftermarket $’s spent for the Homelink module v. $’s spent for other aftermarket items – trailer hitch, roof rack, floor mats, USB hubs, tint (windows and roof) and PPF whether it’s for mirrors, front bumper, or other vulnerable spots. . Homelink is nice to have for me…for you no but that’s OK.

Comparing Homelink to window tint and PPF is useless. Completely different animals. Windows are already tinted just fine for me. PPF is a consideration for now just in some small areas. I just want to open my garage door. Neither of those things will do that.
Well, I (and anyone who pre-ordered MY before launch) was personally promised that the car I am pre-ordering will come with Homelink. So they did their job of informing, then braking the promise:) Learned my lesson.

Doesn't work on our "older" gate system. After contacting the HOA it was confirmed there isn't a "learn button" on our system. So I still need to use the provided fob to open our gate. Rat's.
I know there are many different systems but mine works on two different gate systems neither of which have learn buttons and both of which are 10+ years old I just parked out by the gates and followed the programming instructions on the screen. Sorry to hear your's is not working.