Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink wouldn't auto close (Solved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first 6 months I had my Model 3, HomeLink automatically opened my garage door as I approached and also automatically closed it when I left -- as designed.

Then around the 6-month mark, the auto-open continued to work, but the auto-close only worked maybe 1 out of 20 times. I deleted the HomeLInk profile and re-added it, I asked Tesla and they told me to wait until the next firmware. Maybe that will fix it. None of that worked.

Here's what the problem actually was....

At the 6 month mark, I put something in my garage in front of my car. It was a bed head-board -- not that it matters much. How did that mess up my HomeLink? Here's how: I had less space in my garage. So, after pulling in sufficiently, I would back up just a little, using the rear camera to get get as close to my garage entrance as possible, and leaving walking space in front of my car. (It's easier to judge the best distance via the rear camera). As best I can tell, the fact that I backed up a little bit when initially parking the car somehow cancelled the Auto-Close. (Or maybe more accurately it initiated the auto-close process at that point, but I didn't drive the 20 feet or so required to actually kick off the close command). So, the next morning when I actually would leave the garage, it never auto-closed because it started the process the previous day, but didn't finish. And it wasn't going to try again automatically.

Just wanted to post this solution out here in case someone else is having the same issue.

I think you may be on to something. I have had the same issue periodically and there have been times that it would not auto close. I sometimes back the car up because I pull in too far. I think going into reverse starts the process. I didn’t make the connection but will certainly test it. Thanks

I recently had an issue with homelink (or any garage door remote) not closing the garage door. The culprit was a new LED bulb that I installed in the garage. When the garage is open, the light is on. It creates electromagnetic interference, and prevents homelink from closing the garage. The solution was to replace it with a different light bulb.

I think you may be on to something. I have had the same issue periodically and there have been times that it would not auto close. I sometimes back the car up because I pull in too far. I think going into reverse starts the process. I didn’t make the connection but will certainly test it. Thanks

ISoGrumpy- Did you test it out? It's been working for me 100% of the time since I quit backing up a few inches when I pull in.

This little guy is an LED light that attaches to the Marantec 270 garage door opener. I could not get the door to close on the way out, tried everything listed above about reverse etc. I happen to manually turn off the LED light by the door control that powers the LED light on the opener and got in my car, it works 100% now. I get the message immediately that the door will be closing in 30 feet. Took a trip around the neighborhood to reset the Homelink and came back, the range is set to 100 feet, as the garage door opens I turn the car around and back it into the drive way and inside the garage so that I can have the charge port on the left side and also drive straight out when it’s time to leave. It finally works now.

So for those having issues, Check and see if you have this type of LED lights and if you do, turn it off as it’s causing interference with the Homelink.

Fred

2B13D7D6-729B-4066-8B05-ED01A6D97242.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tkc9789