Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might try resetting the location where auto open/close triggers. There's a line that looks like a browser link to reset the location when you're in the Homelink settings window. I haven't used it in V9, so not sure exactly where it will be. Go to the location you want as "ground zero" and press that link to reset the location.

Also make sure auto open and auto close are enabled.

I believe "ground zero" is the first point where you use the Homelink. In my case it is where the home link is trained to the opener (when I push the opener button to recognize the Tesla Homelink).

On the Tesla screen touch the Homelink icon, (green house), at the bottom touch "Homelink Settings", in the next screen touch "garage" (your name may be different). Enter the distance, from ground zero, you want the door to open, check the box "Auto-open when arriving". Close all screens and drive away, I'm not sure how far but the car has to know you left and are coming back. I have gone around the block and it satisfied the requirement.

It should work.

NOTE, you can't program two things to trigger at the same time, like a gate and garage. The Homelink transmits for 5 seconds so you will have to stagger the distance so they don't go together or only one will open.

I got my working after a Mobil Service Rep came to my house. First he had me do a soft reset (hold both steering wheel buttons down for > 7 sec while in park. Then setup the system using your garage remote. Next position the car just outside the garage where you would normally approach it and do a position update. Next set distance to 20 ft. This distance is critical as a further distance would not work consistenly.

My has worked 100% of the time after these steps.

Reactions: Mad4sax
i never programed my homelink on MX to open at a certain distance. I would like to now, but i see NO way to accomplish short of starting over with the entire process. Any other suggestions i would appreciate...Thanks in Advance

Basically park where you want the open to trigger and hit reset location.

Resetting the Location of the
HomeLink Device

If you experience situations in which you sometimes
drive up to your HomeLink device and it doesn't open,
or the touchscreen does not display a notification as you
approach a programmed device, you may need to reset
the device's location. To do so, park as close as possible
to the HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and
display the HomeLink settings page by touching the HomeLink icon at the top of the touchscreen. Touch the
name of the device you want to reset, then touch Reset Location.

I've researched a lot "what/how/why" about Homelink auto-open/close. Now it's always working for me. Leaving the garage: Control on the wall or activate with homelink BEFORE selecting Drive. If done after, it will not open the door because it's not the programmed distance and that requires cancelling auto-open/close. Backing into the garage: Speed need to be less than 10 km/h. Homelink also request to be in Drive (R doesn't work) so I set the distance to the sidewalk. If too fast or too far for the signal, just baking in the driveway then select Drive so the signal can be send again. When testing, if the distance is set in the street open the door when just passing on the road (if I need to break).