Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any hacks or suggestions to programming Homelink?

I tried as suggested in the manual and it never picks up the signal. We set up something similar in my wife’s Lexus without an issue with the same clicker.

I parked directly in front of the garage door while closed, pointed and held the garage remote button but nothing. I tried opening the frunk to do the same and still nothing. Any other suggestions or keep trying?

The first 2 times I tried the procedure it didn't work . The 3rd time it worked and the lights flashed. I had my car facing away from the garage door. I've noticed whenever I enter my driveway the garage door menu presents itself - pretty neat!

Have you tried deleting the entry and starting the process over again?
Yes tried that multiple times and no luck :(
Do you have a garage door opener with a LED light?
Negative.
Are you hitting the button from inside or in the front of the car?
Outside of the car. Standing directly in front with the nose of my car right in front of my garage. I tried this with the frunk up and down. No luck =(
Almost forgot - I had to put a fresh set of batteries in my remote for the 3rd try.
Changed the batteries and still no luck :( With the old battery and the new, I was able to remove and pair up the garage with my wife's car but not my Tesla. Maybe I'll just stick with the remote.

Reactions: AustinPowers
590A6678-2E44-45A5-B791-E52810F8C0C0.jpeg 6C068117-957C-4A5A-AD8E-A7BF82EE310F.jpeg

Make sure that you don’t have LED lights around you, outside of the house or those lawn lights. My new opener had the LED lights, totally killed my signal.

Fred

View attachment 409647 View attachment 409646

Make sure that you don’t have LED lights around you, outside of the house or those lawn lights. My new opener had the LED lights, totally killed my signal.

Fred

Thats totally a thing, at least it was for me and my BMWs. Not all LED bulbs generate whatever frequency it is that interferes though. In fact, Genie (the garage door opener company) makes a specific LED bulb that doesnt. Hopefully amazon links dont get stripped out here on tmc.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TFHR9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 409647 View attachment 409646

Fred

My experience tells me that the Tesla homelink system doesn't work as well as at least one other manufacturer's, Infiniti. We presently have a 2016 Model S, 2019 Model 3, and used to have a 2014 Model S. For all of the Teslas, the Homelink worked fine for the two garage doors but would NOT work for the porte cochere gate. The Homelink system on two different Infiniti vehicles has worked fine for the garage doors AND gate, so this is definitely a Tesla quirk.

And regarding the LED issues -- we replaced all of our landscape lights with LEDs, but the behavior noted above didn't change at all. Exactly the same performance either way.

I've also not had any luck yet setting up Homelink. Hardware ist supposed to work with my Model 3, no LED or other interference anywhere nearby, brand-new batteries in remote, still no luck at all. Did everything according to the manual, it simply won't recognize the signal whatsoever. Once the lights flashed as if it had recognized the signal, but the screen stated failure anyway.
Asked Tesla yesterday when I was in for service and they said they know the system is extremely buggy and hope for a remedy in a future software update. Will just have to wait and see. Annoying.

Reactions: yumcha