Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would they do that? Why not tack on the minimal amount that it costs since most will use it. That's really shortsighted and will require all Y owners who want it to visit a SC. That's more backlogs at the SC.

In fact, the opposite is true. Tesla was looking to cut costs months back and realized that the vast majority of Model 3 owners never connected HomeLink, opting to use their standard clicker instead. Many likely don't even know it exists.

Thus, it became an obvious target for Tesla to cut in the crusade to cut costs. Most people will not ever think to purchase HL as an upgrade and have it installed. They'll simply use the standard clicker and move on with life.

Yes, it use to be included. Tesla removed it from the Model 3 sometime last year and never updated the Model Y page to reflect the change. Placing an order/pre-order means you accept terms that the final vehicle configuration/options are subject to change. It’s really not surprising that this isn’t included if you know how this all played out with the M3 last year.

Reactions: JøhP
In fact, the opposite is true. Tesla was looking to cut costs months back and realized that the vast majority of Model 3 owners never connected HomeLink, opting to use their standard clicker instead. Many likely don't even know it exists.

Thus, it became an obvious target for Tesla to cut in the crusade to cut costs. Most people will not ever think to purchase HL as an upgrade and have it installed. They'll simply use the standard clicker and move on with life.
Care to share those statistics? I'd sure love to see them. It's hard for me to believe that the average person buying a Tesla, usually someone who's far more tech-savvy than the average guy, wouldn't know those buttons existed or be curious as to what they do. I'm sure the average Tesla owner would know to hook up a Home Link. It's certainly far more convenient & neater to use than a 'clicker' stuck on a visor. Sounds like you're doing nothing more than making excuses for what is obviously nothing more than a cost cutting action.

Care to share those statistics? I'd sure love to see them. It's hard for me to believe that the average person buying a Tesla, usually someone who's far more tech-savvy than the average guy, wouldn't know those buttons existed or be curious as to what they do. I'm sure the average Tesla owner would know to hook up a Home Link. It's certainly far more convenient & neater to use than a 'clicker' stuck on a visor. Sounds like you're doing nothing more than making excuses for what is obviously nothing more than a cost cutting action.

I just texted 6 people I know with Model 3s if they have it hooked up.
  • 3/6 have it hooked up.
  • 1/6 didn’t know it existed.
  • 1/6 told me he can’t get it to work with his garage door for whatever reason and gave up.
  • 1/6 basically said “meh.” He didn’t know you could set it to automatically open the door based on location.
These are tech savvy, 27-35, college educated individuals. Take it for what you will.

Even if the data shows that everyone uses it and loves it, I’d still be OK with Tesla cutting it if it contributes to the greater good of their finances/the mission.

I just texted 6 people I know with Model 3s if they have it hooked up.
  • 3/6 have it hooked up.
  • 1/6 didn’t know it existed.
  • 1/6 told me he can’t get it to work with his garage door for whatever reason and gave up.
  • 1/6 basically said “meh.” He didn’t know you could set it to automatically open the door based on location.
These are tech savvy, 27-35, college educated individuals. Take it for what you will.

Even if the data shows that everyone uses it and loves it, I’d still be OK with Tesla cutting it if it contributes to the greater good of their finances/the mission.
6 respondents does not a scientifically valid study make. The bottom line is you don’t care and that’s what drives your responses. A $50,000 car without home link is ridiculous IMO.

This is a silly discussion. Many of us didn’t expect it to be included when they removed it from the Model 3 last year, so this just confirms that. If you don’t like it you can cancel your order. One could argue for $50k the premium interior should including massaging seats, heated steering wheel, HUD, and bidet but many of you are splitting hairs over an option you feel entitled to.