Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already ordered mine in hopes I may be able to get it installed when I pick up the car (whenever that winds up being...). I really cannot do without Homelink and I really like the idea of the location aware function.

Unfortunately they didn’t let me do that when I picked up my 3 in late July ‘19. And as far as I know, they still weren’t doing that for Jan 2020 deliveries. But I would check with them, maybe something has changed. Good luck!

Thanks and please keep us posted! I use homelinks on all my cars and it's frustrating that it won't be included. And, I pre-ordered it on the night the car has been announced.

I plugged in a HomeLink module in our Model Y, hoping Tesla would just activate it for cost of labor - just like how many DiYers have done for their Model 3.

Tesla did not want to program my HomeLink module that I plugged for just cost of labor (.5 hr $95). They want to do diagnostics first - costing almost $300. Might as well get new for $300.

But I fixed it, somewhat, lol.
Total cost, $0.
;):eek:
20200322_113509.jpg 20200322_112631.jpg

Thank you for the link. I'm not often disappointed with Tesla over the last 4+ years, but I really am with the missing Homelink module. It's not the $300 as much as it was clearly state that it would have "location aware automatic garage door opener" in the details when my order was placed. In the past, Tesla almost always gave MORE than what's initially promised.

I just ordered one before they're sold out. I know it says Installation is included, but they're sending this to my house, so I wonder if it's really "included". I hope they don't outgrow their motto: Under promise, over deliver!

I just got a call confirming funding, so I'm still super excited to get the car!
When you get the Homelink part, you'll see a big warning that the warranty is voided if Tesla doesn't install it.

I plugged in a HomeLink module in our Model Y, hoping Tesla would just activate it for cost of labor - just like how many DiYers have done for their Model 3.

Tesla did not want to program my HomeLink module that I plugged for just cost of labor (.5 hr $95). They want to do diagnostics first - costing almost $300. Might as well get new for $300.

But I fixed it, somewhat, lol.
Total cost, $0.
;):eek:
View attachment 524416 View attachment 524417

Update: Tesla Service activated my DiY HomeLink install for $97.
20200402_162604.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
Had mine installed this afternoon via mobile tech. He was a couple hours later than planned, but called ahead to let me know. This was his second MY HL install, and he said he only just learned that he could do it all from the frunk, which he did. Interestingly he tossed the bolt that came with it and used his own bolt (standard #10 instead of the weird pattern on the factory bolt).

I actually haven't had time to look in the car yet to see if it's ready to setup. Something to do tomorrow I guess...

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
6 respondents does not a scientifically valid study make. The bottom line is you don’t care and that’s what drives your responses. A $50,000 car without home link is ridiculous IMO.
Homelink is available, but it's $300 extra. I paid $2,000 extra for the red paint.

It's not complicated: some things are available but cost more. What's $300 on a $70,000 car? I'd call it a rounding error and shrug it off.

Had mine installed this afternoon via mobile tech. He was a couple hours later than planned, but called ahead to let me know. This was his second MY HL install, and he said he only just learned that he could do it all from the frunk, which he did. Interestingly he tossed the bolt that came with it and used his own bolt (standard #10 instead of the weird pattern on the factory bolt).

I actually haven't had time to look in the car yet to see if it's ready to setup. Something to do tomorrow I guess...

It's the freakin bolt - not compatible to the Y. That's why they stop selling it as Model Y accessory. o_O