Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homemade Pull down ceiling charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made this charger for my wife.... She has been using it for over a month with no issues.... After pulling down the cord, there is no pull on the charge wire at the car since I used a tool balancer. Once done charging, you have to lift the wire for it to retract. I made it out of steel tubing and plywood.

Attachments

• charger.png
    charger.png
    799.2 KB · Views: 5,645
Cybergus' reel reminds me of a fire I once helped to put out.
Way back in the 80's I was at a friend's Grandfather's house working on cars out in the garage one evening. He had a reel like that but it had one of those old fashioned drop lights with outlets in the handle instead of a triple outlet like that one. Well I guess whatever bulb size was in that thing + an electric drill (at least I think it was a drill) was enough to heat up the wire that was still inside the reel to the burning point.
Be careful with cables and cords bunched up tight with current running through...especially a coil.

Cool setup. I build something similar for our garage, using a tool balancer as well -- possibly the same brand/model.

My setup was designed to keep the cable off the floor while reaching two garage bays. Nope I don't have two EVs... was thinking and planning ahead.

I used industrial trolley track to hold the cable. Made a YouTube to explain the setup:

Reactions: CyberGus
Hello folks, first post on this forum. Love the ideas. I did a very similar set up. My 14-50 outlet is mounted in center of the ceiling. Im using a tool balancer to retract the center of the cord. Im also using a retractable electric cord reel like in post #2 but with the end cut off and a modified loop to attach to the charger end. I can post pics tomorrow if interested. Due to position of car in garage, I needed about 6 ft of cord length from the ceiling to reach car but then be able to retract it high enough to walk under without cord being in my way.

Cool setup. I build something similar for our garage, using a tool balancer as well -- possibly the same brand/model.

My setup was designed to keep the cable off the floor while reaching two garage bays. Nope I don't have two EVs... was thinking and planning ahead.

I used industrial trolley track to hold the cable. Made a YouTube to explain the setup:

Love the setup. Great job!!!!!!

Hello folks, first post on this forum. Love the ideas. I did a very similar set up. My 14-50 outlet is mounted in center of the ceiling. Im using a tool balancer to retract the center of the cord. Im also using a retractable electric cord reel like in post #2 but with the end cut off and a modified loop to attach to the charger end. I can post pics tomorrow if interested. Due to position of car in garage, I needed about 6 ft of cord length from the ceiling to reach car but then be able to retract it high enough to walk under without cord being in my way.
Please send pics

Very nicely done! Note the nifty bracket on the ceiling to hold the "body" of the mobile connector in place.

Like me, I'm guessing you probably don't plan to move it very often. 99% of charging happens at home.

Also like what you did with the CNI hose clamps. Very tidy setup. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reactions: NorCal1