TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Homologation process for European Model S

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by linaser, Jun 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. linaser

linaser Member

Now, that GeorgeB gave us officially the good news, that the Model S is "fully homologated, tested and approved by several governmental agencies" in the U.S., I'm starting to wonder, when and how Tesla will start to do the same for the European market.

A few questions, that popped in to my mind:
    • What kind of changes are required to the U.S. Model S because of European legislation?
    • What steps are needed to homologate the Model S in the EU?
    • Is there a separate homologation process needed for European countries like Switzerland, that are not part of the EU?
    • Has TM completed the neccecary preparations for the European homologation or didn't they even start?
    • What's your guestimate, when TM will finish that process?

Can someone give me some clues to that questions?

edit:
    @mods: Please move this thread to the Model S-Section, sorry for posting it in the wrong place...

2. widodh

widodh Model S 85kWh

I don't have moderation permissions here, so I'm not able to move this thread, another mod will pick this up.

While designing the Model S Tesla seems to have designed the car for the EU specifications, since they are more strict then the US ones:
    - Lane changing turn indicators are mandatory, with Model S they are in the Tesla logo on the side
    - Reflectors on the back, they are on the Model S
    - Amber turn indicators

A couple of things need to be done:
    - Rating of continues power, for the Roadster this is 40kW
    - Safety testing
    - Range testing (?)
    - 3-phase testing?

I don't think anyone can give any estimates, but I'm guessing somewhere in September or October that this will be done.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Widodh, does the S have amber rear turns? I thought I always saw them flash red.

4. widodh

widodh Model S 85kWh

I might be confused here, but I'm almost certain that I've seen them in amber, at least on the lane changing indicators.

But swapping a Red for an Amber light isn't that hard.

5. raymond

raymond Member

Metric gauges; different headlight beams; mandatory rear fog light (and switch); possibly different rear view mirrors; and I expect a lot more of those.

6. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I wouldn't mind having rear fog light on US cars - it gets so thick around the coast here it is really quite useful. I modded my Passat to have a rear fog light.
    On the other hand, it annoys me when I see clueless MB and Audi drivers with the rear fog on when there's no need for it.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

My GTI has a rear foglamp (and LED taillights) now also. And I also see Audi and MB people with it on all the time, especially when it is a clear night.

I think the EU has different bumper requirements (for hitting pedestrians) that may need to be changed.
    Headlamps are different but usually just angle adjustments are needed for that.
    Metric units I am sure are already in the programming on the screens.

And of course there is that whole Right side drive problem the UK has.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Canada as well IIRC.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Bumpers are for hitting pedestrians? :eek:

10. daniel

daniel Active Member

The EU requires you to hit pedestrians? :scared:

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well they require your bumper to not kill pedestrians. The hitting in optional I believe.

12. shark2k

shark2k Member

Good response Supreme. lol

-Shark2k

13. strider

strider Active Member

Yes, I hate people who drive around with their fog lights on (Hey look! My car has Driving Lights!) - Cops are supposed to ticket for this but they never do.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If they do that with a VW, karma will get them. It costs $250 to change the fog light bulb.

15. daniel

daniel Active Member

Whew! That's a relief. :)

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I confirmed by testing one of the betas recently - they have red turn blinkers.

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Nope it costs 7$ at a pep boys and about 10 minutes.