Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda Accord plugin hybrid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
Has anyone seen an Accord plugin on the road? I'm not sure how to describe it... maybe the Middle Class Fisker Karma?

Anyways, full specs here: http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-plug-in/specifications.aspx

The battery is rated 6.7 kWh, which is good for an EPA rating of 13 miles:frown: Honda claims the battery can be charged in about 1 hour with a 240V/30A line. In all-Electric mode, a 124 kW (about 166 horsepower) electric motor moves the car and is good for 124c/105h/115combined MPGe. A 2.0L gasoline engine provides long range of up to 574 miles and hybrid FE of 47c/46h/46combined EPA.

So it has Honda reliability, a big cabin, and controls that are familiar to Honda drivers, but there are a few downsides.

The front is hideous. It reminds me of some kind of Japanese dinosaur or lizard that maybe wants to attack a Toyota Camry. The wheels are similarly bizarre. Forget about bringing any large items home from the store: the battery pack takes up half the trunk space, leaving 8.6 cubic feet of storage. Taking a road trip? Range anxiety might not be there, but I'd definitely have luggage anxiety.

Part of me marvels at the complexity of the Accord plugin, but it is a really bad way to sell electric vehicles. What large sedan has 8.6 cubic feet of trunk space? I just don't think the big automakers really understand what it takes to sell an electric car.