Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda Clarity FCEV revealed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotted just one Clarity in Tokyo, near my office.
P_20161109_131321.jpg

It may turn out the same way as the Ioniq that you hyped so much and ended up as a complete disappointment.

Maybe you should compare the offerings from Hyundai and Honda with the Model3 by the time all cars are actually shipping in volume in the US and other countries.

Hyundai will have a 200+ mile BEV by 2018:

200-Mile Hyundai IONIQ Electric Coming In 2018

That was also my information from sources for the original statement I made in late 2015/early 2016 - it will just arrive a model revision later than anticipated.

PS: In contrast to the linked source I'm not sure if that model will indeed carry the Ioniq brand name or another model name, but that's not important. It will have the same range - and so will most other competing BEVs going forward.

Last edited:
Maybe you should compare the offerings from Hyundai and Honda with the Model3 by the time all cars are actually shipping in volume in the US and other countries.

Hyundai will have a 200+ mile BEV by 2018:

That was also my information from sources for the original statement I made in late 2015/early 2016 - it will just arrive a model revision later than anticipated.

PS: In contrast to the linked source I'm not sure if that model will indeed carry the Ioniq brand name or another model name, but that's not important. It will have the same range - and so will most other competing BEVs going forward.
Once again a reviving of a dead thread, more than half a year later with more rumors and promising (with an announcement the Ioniq is delayed until next year) and still nothing about the supposed Honda BEV.

Come back here if you wish by the time they actually come out with a BEV with 200+ mile EPA, but probably most people won't care anymore since the Model 3 would have been in the market for a while.

Once again a reviving of a dead thread, more than half a year later with more rumors and promising (with an announcement the Ioniq is delayed until next year) and still nothing about the supposed Honda BEV.

Come back here if you wish by the time they actually come out with a BEV with 200+ mile EPA, but probably most people won't care anymore since the Model 3 would have been in the market for a while.

Actual consumers drive around in BEV versions of IONIQ in Europe as I type this. The BEV model may have some delay in NA, but it is already shipping in Europe.

The 200-mile version upgrade should be coming by 2018 (link above) and we will see about the Honda BEV range and exact shipment date.

But since all these cars don't have a Tesla badge, you seem to pick the negative only.

PS: As if Tesla ever shipped a new car model on time so far...

I got a ride in the Ioniq EV the other day. It seems quite nice, and should absolutely affect Leaf/e-Golf/Zoe/Soul/i3 sales. And if it comes with 200 miles range a year from now, it will definitely be competitive vs the Bolt/Ampera-e.

There is a leap up from that and being relevant for the Model 3 though.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Actual consumers drive around in BEV versions of IONIQ in Europe as I type this. The BEV model may have some delay in NA, but it is already shipping in Europe.

The 200-mile version upgrade should be coming by 2018 (link above) and we will see about the Honda BEV range and exact shipment date.

But since all these cars don't have a Tesla badge, you seem to pick the negative only.

PS: As if Tesla ever shipped a new car model on time so far...
I'm not negative about it in general, but the Ioniq is just on the order of the 30kWh Leaf (which had been out for a while already), and nothing ground breaking against the Model 3 demand. My main goal is to push back on your constant narrative that somehow these automakers will doom Tesla with a rush of 200+ mile EVs, and to point out they remain promises yet to be realized.

Last edited:
...and still nothing about the supposed Honda BEV.
During a media drive event in July for the Honda Accord hybrid I was told by a Honda VP that the Clarity BEV is scheduled to arrive in the US in mid-2017. I haven't seen any info about battery capacity or expected EV range.

It will be followed by a Clarity PHEV with about 40 miles of range which should arrive later in the fall.

During a media drive event in July for the Honda Accord hybrid I was told by a Honda VP that the Clarity BEV is scheduled to arrive in the US in mid-2017. I haven't seen any info about battery capacity or expected EV range.

It will be followed by a Clarity PHEV with about 40 miles of range which should arrive later in the fall.
If that's all true, we should be seeing some details soon. Maybe they will announce something at the LA show this week? Otherwise, the next major opportunity would be the Detroit show in January unless they jump on the CES bandwagon.

The 200-mile version upgrade should be coming by 2018 (link above)

You're grasping at straws here.

As I've pointed out several times, the Ioniq was not designed as a BEV from the ground up. It was designed as a hybrid first, and the relatively poor range of the first revision is due to the suboptimal battery placement that is a consequence of this design choice.

In order to accommodate a 200 mile battery, the pack will likely have to have a combination of higher density cells and a greater number of cells. That is going to negatively affect interior space. Price of the 200-mile upgrade is still unknown, as is availability.

and we will see about the Honda BEV range and exact shipment date.

Honda is 110% committed to hydrogen fuel cells. They have even demonstrated quick-deploying hydrogen filling stations that can be installed in less than a day.

Let me clue you in: This is Tesla Motors Club. It's naive to expect a warm welcome if you're promoting other cars. This is true of car forums generally. Try bragging about a ricer turbo'd Civic at a forum like NASIOC and see how nice of a response you get.

There is absolutely no point to Honda bringing a 80 mile range Clarity BEV to market. They clearly don't need it for ZEV compliance because they have the Clarity FCV. If you're not going to bring a competitive car to market, don't bother.

A Honda executive argued that putting a larger battery would make it so that their customers could not afford it. To me, that is an argument to wait longer, say 2020 until batteries are cheaper to bring it to market, not an argument to bring an inferior product to market today. The problem with the waiting strategy is that they still need to build up the high volume price efficiency of their battery suppliers in order to be competitive in 2020. Honda has so far used their own suppliers (JV with GS Yuasa) for batteries, not the market leaders like Panasonic, LG Chem, and Samsung SDI as the rest of the industry (except Nissan, Mitsubishi, Kia) has.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff
LOL :D

I still think all major car makers (with the exception of maybe Fiat-Chrysler and Toyota) will offer longer-range BEVs and PHEVs between 2017-2020. It's inevitable given upcoming emission regulations. That includes Honda.

Why should Honda reveal detailed specs today? This car is coming in 2018, give it time until we are closer to a release date.

Honda Clarity Electric only rated for approximately 80 miles on a charge. 80 miles. Honda claims it is to keep the price down to the "mid-30's".

The Honda Clarity EV doesn't make any sense

The range is so bad that Honda won't even acknowledge it in its official press release: Honda Electrified! Clarity Plug-in Hybrid and Clarity Electric Unveiled at 2017 New York International Auto Show Honda talks about anticipated MPGe ratings, but says nothing about the range, leaving the reader to figure it out based on the kWh of the battery and anticipated MPGe rating. And it is lease-only in CA and OR for now.

"tales from the future", lol. Might as well ask the local fortune teller to read palms:D