Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda EV Concepts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this →

Posted all the way back in January, I guess I just missed the news until now. The first car he spends time on is a cute little urban EV concept that is nicely styled and executed but not of much interest to me personally, since I live in rural Texas! I don't have much use for a city car. (Also it reminds me just a little of the AMC Gremlin.)

Second half, he finally gets around to the Honda Sports EV Concept. That is very intriguing to me. It looks almost like an electric MX-5 Miata, which of course is what I wish Mazda would produce if only they were interested in EVs at all! No open top is a disappointment, but hey… glass roof! Not sure if that will make it to production. If they were really savvy they would copy the roof of the MX-5 RF, which everybody seems to love.

In some ways this concept car looks more like what I personally would have expected and wanted from the next gen Tesla Roadster, rather than the extreme plaid-rated tire-burning hypercar we're getting.

The other thing that interests me is the clean styling of both these vehicles. They've done away with all the gnarly Transformers-toy-like scoops and air dams and creases and grooves that so many cars today are uglified with. They look clean, they look smooth. Yes! Thank you, Honda! Also, putting the lights behind a transparent nosecone is an interesting way to create something not shockingly different in appearance from the traditional grille but without the aerodynamic penalty. (I wish more companies would follow Tesla's lead and make EVs without anything resembling a grille, but it looks like that's just too radical for stodgy established car makers to contemplate!)

Looks quite a lot like VW Golf back in the days:
golf-gti-(1).ashx

It certainly sounded like the production models would be very close to these concepts. I would guess these are probably more of a European target set of cars, but boy do I just love the 70s meets 10s retro-futuristic look of the Sports EV.

The Urban intends a 2019 release and the Sports a 2020 release.

While I think I'd like a model 3 as a daily driver, this would be my weekend car. There's just something about it that makes you want one. C'mon Honda. Get building!

Last edited:
Honda, a company building quality engines and vehicles for a long time, we are on our third Odyssey and getting daughter a CivicX. I will be watching with curiosity and I am rooting for them to start thinking more progressively.

Honda, a company building quality engines and vehicles for a long time, we are on our third Odyssey and getting daughter a CivicX. I will be watching with curiosity and I am rooting for them to start thinking more progressively.
Let me guess. Did transmissions have anything to do with having 3 Odysseys. I speak from experience, two trannys in an Odyssey, Honda ate the 2nd one.

Being a "Honda" guy and growing up wrenching on Civics, Fits and S2000s, I really like this car. To me, it has retro-charm, seems functional and is still true to what Honda is doing. If this car were in the US and cost close between $20-25k with rebates, it would certainly be a contender for our second car (my car, which is just used for commuting mainly). The lack of storage in the car is dissapointing though as I'd happily give up the frunk for a larger trunk if they would have considered making this a front wheel motor car.

This does look like a great car. As he notes they put the wing mirror replacement cameras in the right place, unlike the Audi Turd that has them too low down.

The cabin is really open and has a great feel to it. Not the usual "luxury" faux leather and glossy plastic, but a nice fabric finish and wood surfaces.