TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Honda: Good, Evil, or just Confused?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by tonybelding, Oct 23, 2007.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

A series of news stories have come out about Honda and their stance on PHEVs. You may have seen the posting on AutoBlogGreen about this:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/10/23/honda-president-ceo-plug-in-hybrids-unnecessary-dont-reduc/

The gist of it is. . . Honda don't think PHEVs make sense. They think pure BEVs are the way to go. They even think that the internal combustion engine is "unnecessary" and offers "no real advantages" to a BEV. And. . . that's good, isn't it? You'd think Plug-In Partners, Plug-America, Set America Free, CalCars and all the other advocacy groups would be thrilled, right?

Not so. CalCars felt compelled to send out an email about this. They feel Honda is using BEVs as a stalling tactic, in a similar vein as hydrogen fuel cells.

I'm not quite that cynical, but I do think Honda are sending some seriously conflicted messages.

Although they didn't exactly say so, I got the impression Honda see BEVs as something for tiny, slow, short-ranged "city cars", or punishment cars. They're not interested in PHEVs because they don't need an internal combustion engine to build a punishment car. Sure. . . If your goal is to produce a tiny, slow, short-ranged car, then an internal combustion range extender really is "unnecessary" and offers "no real advantages".

As for the general-purpose, full-sized, fast, comfortable, mainstream cars. . . They're still banking on hydrogen fuel cells for that.

I also suspect that Takeo Fukui may be suffering from Future Shock. He's still thinking of alt-fuel vehicles as something that will happen someday in the vague, unspecified future. He's still talking about BEVs happening after some new breakthrough in battery technology, somewhere out on the horizon. It hasn't sunk in that the batteries are here, and companies like GM, Toyota, Nissan, Renault, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Tesla, Th!nk, Miles, Aptera, Phoenix, ABY, Commuter Cars, UEV, Brammo and others are racing to market with them.

2. mt2

mt2 Member

My vote is for 'confused'. Maybe 'threatened'. Honda considers themselves an engine manufacturer that makes some damn fine cars. Hybrids, EVs, PHEVs, etc, are out of their core competency, and it's probably very difficult to convince the board of directors otherwise. How many Insights do you see on the road compared to Priuses (Priui?)? I imagine they know they have to "shift gears" to compete in the on-coming market, but don't know how to get there from here.

3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Also possibly trying to confuse, flummox and bamboozle GM, Chrysler and Ford. Then again dinky little cars are popular in Japan.

In addition, their idea of punishment is not the same as ours. Just look at their gameshows.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

LOL... Leaving you stranded in the desert is considered a "feature".

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/19/honda-skeptical-of-ev-future-doesnt-recommend-them/
    tms_evn_low001.jpg

Some of this stuff seems like the big boys are Nissan bashing.

6. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Honda I think is the only auto major not to have a PHEV/BEV story. Do they think 2008 oil price shock was a one off event ?

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#8 malcolm, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Finally we have an answer; Good, Evil, or just Confused?

None of the above

Just "Special"

ETA: they need to make small eco-cars NOW but say that they are continuing with hydrogen (but maybe that's just to keep certain investors happy): http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Honda/251494/

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Honda is a confused. I still think that they "Honda" is banking on the success of the name brand and not on newer or future products.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I wonder if this move came from stock holder demands? I would be asking questions of the company plans after Toyota joined with Tesla

Read this and they looked downright stupid:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSGE66I0JH20100720