TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Honda Rolls Out 50-MPG Hybrid

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Doug_G, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Design News - Honda Rolls Out 50-MPG Hybrid

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Seems inordinately complex and prone to failure. Those transitions b/w full mechanical and hybrid mode have to be difficult. It is nice to see that sort of FE out of a car like the Accord though.

3. gameon

gameon Member

never like this hybrid game... release full ev or natural gas or something i.e. one thing don't combine because it is not cheap maintenance and not lot of fun driving (subjective)

4. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

This incorrectly implies that EPA estimates are the same as the 54.5 CAFE mpg. These are calculated differently. The 54.5 mpg CAFE target implies an EPA estimate of around 40 mpg.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you dislike plugin hybrids as well? I've performed all scheduled maintenance on my 2011 Volt which has consisted of a single $35 oil change after almost 3 years of driving a total of 60,000 miles (40,000 EV). My next oil change will be at the 4 year mark at around 80,000 miles and will also include changing a $10 engine air filter. Other than that, all I've done is tire rotations and a new set of tires at the 57,000 mile mark.

5. CheeseFrog

CheeseFrog Member

At least they're consistent in producing boring cars.

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I love the idea of an Accord Hybrid in terms of getting mass acceptance of hybrids and reducing the amount of pollution and oil dependence since the Accord is a very popular auto. That being said, a BEV or natural gas auto can almost eliminate our need for foreign oil (still have those pesky lubricants we will need in the transmissions, crankcases, etc. of the Natural gas cars). I do agree to complexity of that driveline does concern me long term. BEV haters always harp on the battery and it's implications when it's time to replace (both cost and possible issues with what it does to the environment), but with a hybrid you have not only that concern, but also the oil, filters, etc. to deal with and the wear and tear on the conventional ICE drivetrain. Can you imagine the bill for the poor sucker who needs a new battery, and a transmission or engine overhaul within a few months of each other 10-15 years down the road? It will be a throwaway product.

7. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

I heard about the plug in accord about a year ago. Made a point of finding it at the NY auto show in April as a possible car to lease until G3 comes out.

Dropped that idea. This car has the trunk space of a Roadster. For some that may not be an issue, but for many it will be a real liability.

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

The Volt is bulletproof.