TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Honda's Power Exporter 9000 turns your EV into the ultimate portable generator

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DIL, Oct 8, 2015.

1. DIL

DIL Member

"Modern electric and fuel cell cars can pack a lot of electricity into a very small space. Honda's Power Exporter 9000 lets you use it for something other than driving."http://www.cnet.com/news/hondas-power-exporter-9000/

2. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

3. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

It says it works with any car that uses ChaDeMo. Will a Tesla with the adapter work? Might pose a problem for free supercharging.

4. David99

David99 Active Member

I highly doubt the CHADeMO adapter in the Model S will allow power to be drawn. Tesla will make sure of that. Otherwise people could charge for free at a Supercharger and then power their house or other things for free. That's not going to happen.

5. patn

patn Member

This article says "were you to plug the Exporter 9000 into Honda's fuel cell-powered FCV Concept cars, you can get 9kW of electricity out for a solid week." Doing the simple math that would be 16 times the battery capacity of the Tesla 90D.... or almost a 5,000 mile range. Seems unlikely.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Tesla only takes power one way: in, not out. It would be awesome though. I have power outages at least 3-4 times in the wet season and they can last 3-4 days some times. So I use a Honda (of course) noisy and stinky gas generator.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Since when does California have a wet season?

Anyways... I want this ....

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Who knows! We are praying that El Nino brings us the wet stuff this year. The fear is that it will dump all at once, so expect to see us on the news with landslides and floods. I'm preparing my home as much as I can.

It is unbelievably bad out here. If we don't get a lot of rain this year, we will be in deep, deep trouble. So even though we are California hippies, please do pray for us!

9. rlang59

rlang59 Member

#9 rlang59, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Did somebody say El Nino?