Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda's Power Exporter 9000 turns your EV into the ultimate portable generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly doubt the CHADeMO adapter in the Model S will allow power to be drawn. Tesla will make sure of that. Otherwise people could charge for free at a Supercharger and then power their house or other things for free. That's not going to happen.

"Modern electric and fuel cell cars can pack a lot of electricity into a very small space. Honda's Power Exporter 9000 lets you use it for something other than driving."http://www.cnet.com/news/hondas-power-exporter-9000/

This article says "were you to plug the Exporter 9000 into Honda's fuel cell-powered FCV Concept cars, you can get 9kW of electricity out for a solid week." Doing the simple math that would be 16 times the battery capacity of the Tesla 90D.... or almost a 5,000 mile range. Seems unlikely.

Who knows! We are praying that El Nino brings us the wet stuff this year. The fear is that it will dump all at once, so expect to see us on the news with landslides and floods. I'm preparing my home as much as I can.

It is unbelievably bad out here. If we don't get a lot of rain this year, we will be in deep, deep trouble. So even though we are California hippies, please do pray for us!

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj
Who knows! We are praying that El Nino brings us the wet stuff this year. The fear is that it will dump all at once, so expect to see us on the news with landslides and floods. I'm preparing my home as much as I can.

It is unbelievably bad out here. If we don't get a lot of rain this year, we will be in deep, deep trouble. So even though we are California hippies, please do pray for us!

Did somebody say El Nino?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of odd--the other day I received a request to complete a fairly detailed customer survey about the Exporter. It proposed several models of the unit (power capability), run times, and cost. None cheap--all $3000-4000. Asked if I would consider this over a standby generator. Did not address the issue of it not working with a Tesla. They even had a video of a cute couple driving a Leaf and using it when camping and for a power failure at home.

Tesla only takes power one way: in, not out. It would be awesome though. I have power outages at least 3-4 times in the wet season and they can last 3-4 days some times. So I use a Honda (of course) noisy and stinky gas generator.
How can we know for sure until this unit is tested with the CHAdeMO adaptor? DC chargers have direct access to the battery voltage. It's not unforeseeable this unit will work, provided Teslas don't have active checking for reverse current.

I highly doubt the CHADeMO adapter in the Model S will allow power to be drawn. Tesla will make sure of that. Otherwise people could charge for free at a Supercharger and then power their house or other things for free. That's not going to happen.
I can't believe this myth is still out there. I know tesla owners are cheap. But is anyone, on a regular basis, going to sit at a supercharger for an hour or so, drive home, throw their transfer switch and run their house off ev power for a couple of days, the whole time being without their car that they are making payments on each month to drive? For what? $10 in electricity?

Plus, the population of free supercharging Teslas is going to shrink over time. Do you really think this is of the slightest concern to Tesla?

The more likely reason for prohibiting this is to prevent premature degradation of the battery. More cycles->more wear. As long as tesla is warranting the batteries they won't want to allow this.

As has been pointed out by @wk057, during DC charging the battery bus is connected directly to the charge port. As long as this connection holds, there should be no reason you can't draw power out of the charge port. Now, the Chademo adapter probably has logic in it to tell the contractors to open if it detects reverse current. However, there is nothing to prevent a hacked adapter (or clone) from lying to the car about what it is doing.

I would agree that Tesla would block any attempt to draw post from the battery pack with software interlocks. I expect they would view it as a potential liability issue (California company!!). Since it's a non Tesla piece of hardware connected to a very powerful battery there is a lot they can't control. If you're desperate and silly enough I suppose you could shuttle power from a supercharger to your home in an emergency but why go to the trouble to steal power if you spent that much on a car? That being said there is always a dumbass out there that will do the inexplicable.