Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest new car price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

D.E.

Uncorked
Oct 12, 2016
MI
I wish Tesla would just list the price of the car instead of trying to be cute with the “savings”. If it’s a $92,000 car, it’s a $92,000 car. It isn’t magically an $82,750 car. Tesla is going to want a check for $92,000, so that lower number is just smoke.

Since they’ve cranked up the supercharger rates and they don’t include unlimited supercharging any more, those gas savings might not be quite so favorable. Besides Tesla has absolutely no idea how many miles I’ll drive, my local gas prices, and what gas mileage I’d get in the car I’d be driving if not the Tesla. So that gas savings number is utterly bogus, just a wild guess.

The $3750 is valid. Well, sort of. Well, not really. There’s sales tax paid on it. Figure about $300 or so (at 8% sales tax). They should probably list that number as $3450, that would be more honest. I know, Tesla doesn’t know what sales tax I pay. They could guess. It’s hard to guess worse than 0%.

But if we’re going to get real about what these cost, let’s add in some extra costs for insurance because Tesla can’t seem to get parts to repair facilities, because they are so expensive to fix that they’re often totaled when they should be repairable. And it’s an electric, many states gig us for and extra hundred or two each year because we’re not paying gas taxes. Let’s put that in too.

If they want to include what they see as price adjustments for ownership, that’s fine, but let’s be honest and realistically include all of them, otherwise let’s just simply list the selling price of the car.

I love my Tesla.

Not so much the bad numbers.

I don't know why people keep insisting that gas savings and Supercharger rates are linked. I, and most of the Tesla owners, rarely use Superchargers. The rate hike was relatively inconsequential and still cheaper than the other EV networks.

That might be true, some people stay around home and don’t travel. There are some of us that do travel more than half our electric range from home. Then gas savings and supercharger rates are linked. Anyway, you are right. If you stay within 100 miles or so of home and if you don’t use the superchargers, then the gas savings and supercharger rates are not at all linked.

That might be true, some people stay around home and don’t travel. There are some of us that do travel more than half our electric range from home. Then gas savings and supercharger rates are linked. Anyway, you are right. If you stay within 100 miles or so of home and if you don’t use the superchargers, then the gas savings and supercharger rates are not at all linked.
The "savings calculator" assumed 10% use of superchargers.

I don't know why people keep insisting that gas savings and Supercharger rates are linked. I, and most of the Tesla owners, rarely use Superchargers. The rate hike was relatively inconsequential and still cheaper than the other EV networks.

I used to think the same way as yours.

I drove very little, like 6,000 miles annually with my gasoline car.

However, when I switched that to 2012 Model S, I have been drive much more--24,000 miles annually! Instead of flying, I have been driving Tesla in order to avoid those security people who feel me all over with their hands as well as those scanning machines that they say "safe".

Supercharger rate hike may not affect most people but it does for those who drive a lot and those who hate flying.

I used to think the same way as yours.

I drove very little, like 6,000 miles annually with my gasoline car.

However, when I switched that to 2012 Model S, I have been drive much more--24,000 miles annually! Instead of flying, I have been driving Tesla in order to avoid those security people who feel me all over with their hands as well as those scanning machines that they say "safe".

Supercharger rate hike may not affect most people but it does for those who drive a lot and those who hate flying.

Me too. I drive much more than fly now. Use super chargers 95% of the time; don’t have home charging but 98% of my mileage is from road trips. I walk to work.

I’ve driven 6000 miles+ in 3 months since buying the car. 4 months of ownership: 1 month was spent wrapping/ceramic coating and repair at SC for the ding the SC made.

Super fun to drive the car. Much better overall and a lot cheaper than flying. I have free SC as long as we own the car.

Reactions: Tam
LR RWD, MSM, Aero
55700 plus tax and registration minus $5500 trade in, $3500 deposit, and $6800 cash down

72 months of payments with a 3.49% interest rate = ~ $67700 - $7500 = $60,200

“Fuel” went from $55/mo to $15/mo. Only drive 6500 miles a year so gas savings isn’t a ton for me but it isn’t nothing. $150/year annual electric vehicle charge so essentially add $13/mo to “fuel” costs. Basically $1800 savings over 6 years compared to our previous car (Hyundai Elantra)

Insurance went from $89/mo to $97/mo so $576 more in insurance over six years.

Maintenance savings are to be determined but if I truly only have to pay $500 every two years for the bi-annual services that’s pretty cheap. Will be interesting to see how tire purchase increases would compare to the Elantra.

I took the approach that I will not save one red penny owning a Tesla. Maybe someday in the future if gas prices in WA stare break $4/gallon I can claim a ROI. Until then it’s just pure driving bliss in this beautiful piece of technology. Someone mentioned tire cost and just be aware Z rated tires aren’t cheap or heavily stocked.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Does anyone really treat those marketing-made numbers seriously?

For me it's more of annoyance.

I don't like seeing one number, and then I have to click through the options to figure out what the REAL number is.

Now I don't mind if they have a little check box that says include savings, and then you can select which ones to factor in. Obviously we're all going to be comparing it to cars with various MPG's, and various gas/electrical price so it's extremely variable.

The savings one person might see another person might not see at all.

Including it by default is just manipulative.

On the plus side it does show that Elon uses some wonky logic so I guess it helps prepare an owner for that. :p

• Love
Reactions: Perry
Insurance went from $89/mo to $97/mo so $576 more in insurance over six years.
Holy Moly, that's it ?
My one for 2012 MS P85 is higher than combined Accord + Venza it replaced. The agent blamed high repair cost as there are no 3rd party shops and aftermarket parts. Sounded believable. Although I guess some companies may be jacking up the premium because of the luxury segment (well, at least price-wise)

I took the approach that I will not save one red penny owning a Tesla. Maybe someday in the future if gas prices in WA stare break $4/gallon I can claim a ROI. Until then it’s just pure driving bliss in this beautiful piece of technology. Someone mentioned tire cost and just be aware Z rated tires aren’t cheap or heavily stocked.

That’s good. You won’t save money owning an expensive car. The depreciation itself will be quite a bit. But when driving my Tesla, cost is the furthest thing from my mind. :)