Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest opinion/looking for reassurance; located in central Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Currently have a MXLR 6 seater on order with EDD 1/26 - 3/23. Was always drawn to Tesla due to me loving gadgets/tech. Also, needs to be a SUV and wife wants to start transitioning to EV. EQS, iX other potentials but want to avoid first year models and I just like the X more. Admittedly keep looking at Cayenne E-hybrid (wife cool with plugin hybrid) online but haven't gone to a showroom cause I hate that process.

Ever since I placed my order I have routinely looked at forums (here and reddit mainly) and as time has gone by I get more and more anxious about owning a model X. It seems the majority (I know this can be skewed because happy owners don't need to vent like the pissed off people do) have to deal with build quality issues on delivery and then the aftermath of dealing with the service center which also seems to be underwhelming. While I plan to be fully prepared to reject a delivery if big red flags, I am overall acceptable of some minor issues like gaps. Things like significant creaking with driving and FWD not reliably working (I'd be acceptable with 80%) would definitely give me buyers remorse.

Another thing I keep factoring in is the ability to reliably schedule a service as Tesla can switch the day on you and if you ask them to fix 3 things, only 1/3 get addressed. I cannot deal with going back and forth with servicing as my job schedule has very little wiggle room and taking time off requires notification weeks in advance.

With all that said my questions to you are:

Would recommend I proceed with the MX? Only alternative I would consider is Cayenne E-hybrid.
I know some SC are better than others so does anyone have experience with the Columbus, OH location? Looking for positive experiences to calm my nerves.

Thank you all for reading.

Hi @B311lee ,

I have had a great 4 1/2 years with my 2018 Model X 100 D...
I traded it in with 72,000 miles for a new X LR.
Did I "need" the new one, not really.
There are many features that make the new car much nicer...
I really like Mobile Service.
The X Refresh LR is a marvelous car.
So much better than my 2018 and the 2018 was great.

When did you order?

What car(s) have you previously owned?

Below is an interesting reference.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: croman and dhrivnak
Owner of a LR Model X, took delivery on 31 March 2022. Not new to Teslas, but definitely new to the Model X and any recent technological advances (my first Tesla was a 2015 Model S 85D). My X now has about 12K miles on it, and it's been road-tripped up and down the US West Coast between Seattle and Los Angeles.

Like you I was apprehensive about build quality, in particular mechanical problems (not so much cosmetics). There were a few issues found at delivery (climate control, FWD sensors). Some of these problems went away after the first software update post-delivery. My local service center (Berkeley, CA) took care of most of the rest (principally FWD alignment adjustment) in one visit, but we waited half a year for some sensors in the climate control system to be replaced. I'm quite happy with the state of the car as it stands now (actually I was satisfied after the first post-delivery service adjustments, but the service center really really really wanted to replace those sensors).

I'm glad you realize that people tend to vent about bad things on the Internet more than praise good things...that is definitely true on TMC (IMHO).

I can't make any sweeping pronouncements about Model X builds, but I think you'd be happy if you'd gotten my car and had my "new Model X owner" experience.

Hope this helps!

Bruce.

I also have a 2018 MX 100D and am completely happy with it. Whenever you read about any subject on social media, you see the underbelly. And its the people that complain who seem to dominate social media - so you really don't get a very fair picture by looking on the interweb.

The Model X is a complicated car so I started off expecting quirks. With that mindset, the car has been everything I ever hoped for. It IS extraordinarily complex so I have had the car in for service about once a year during my 4 1/2 years ownership. For 4 years, service was all done by a mobile ranger - insanely convenient - so was an A+ experience. Now I have to drive 3 hours each way for service. Many of my problems have been intermittents so service has consistently said 'no problem found', but I still eventually got each small issue rectified. It just takes a little patience and treating the service people like anybody would like to be treated. I would probably opt for the Model Y now that I drove a Y loaner because it is less expensive and simpler (the Model X Falcon Wing Doors are cute, but really do suck in the rain when they are opened and splash the passenger).

Once you've experienced the Tesla Supercharging network, I simply can't imagine buying any other brand of EV. Superchargers are everywhere now and they make the EV experience superior in every way to an ICE vehicle. If I had to deal with the horrible, unreliable charging networks outside the Tesla Superchargers, I think my opinion of EVs would be very low - at least for a car that you put on lots of highway miles. Superchargers are a massive plus: no other brand even worth considering IMO.

The Full Self Driving software has been getting better all the time. It's not perfect, but then the problem is a level of compute complexity never before achieved - so I give Tesla kudos for a job well done. It's obviously software still in development. The jury is out whether they will ever make it to full FSD. I'm not sure I would once again pay that price for FSD after using it for the last year or so: seems way overpriced to me given its beta nature.

Hi @B311lee ,

I have had a great 4 1/2 years with my 2018 Model X 100 D...
I traded it in with 72,000 miles for a new X LR.
Did I "need" the new one, not really.
There are many features that make the new car much nicer...
I really like Mobile Service.
The X Refresh LR is a marvelous car.
So much better than my 2018 and the 2018 was great.

When did you order?

What car(s) have you previously owned?

Below is an interesting reference.

Good luck,

Shawn
Good to hear a positive experience x 2.

Ordered end of March this year.

Cars owned in past are BMW 3 series. Currently have an Audi A6 and Subaru Ascent. BMW has been the most problematic for me in the past. Right after 4yr/40k passed started to have a lot of electronic issues.

I bought my daughter's 2019 Raven Std Range with 24k miles off her lease about a month or so ago. I don’t think she ever had it in the shop except for a couple of fender benders. When I got it, I noticed the weatherstripping on the front edge of the driver door was barely attached and was flopping around. I used some 3m double sided tape to attach it and it seems to be holding well. Everything else seems to be working well but I’m still learning some of the car’s features and quirks.

I look for excuses to drive it. It’s been a long time since I was able to say that about a car.

I also have a 2018 MX 100D and am completely happy with it. Whenever you read about any subject on social media, you see the underbelly. And its the people that complain who seem to dominate social media - so you really don't get a very fair picture by looking on the interweb.

The Model X is a complicated car so I started off expecting quirks. With that mindset, the car has been everything I ever hoped for. It IS extraordinarily complex so I have had the car in for service about once a year during my 4 1/2 years ownership. For 4 years, service was all done by a mobile ranger - insanely convenient - so was an A+ experience. Now I have to drive 3 hours each way for service. Many of my problems have been intermittents so service has consistently said 'no problem found', but I still eventually got each small issue rectified. It just takes a little patience and treating the service people like anybody would like to be treated. I would probably opt for the Model Y now that I drove a Y loaner because it is less expensive and simpler (the Model X Falcon Wing Doors are cute, but really do suck in the rain when they are opened and splash the passenger).

Once you've experienced the Tesla Supercharging network, I simply can't imagine buying any other brand of EV. Superchargers are everywhere now and they make the EV experience superior in every way to an ICE vehicle. If I had to deal with the horrible, unreliable charging networks outside the Tesla Superchargers, I think my opinion of EVs would be very low - at least for a car that you put on lots of highway miles. Superchargers are a massive plus: no other brand even worth considering IMO.

The Full Self Driving software has been getting better all the time. It's not perfect, but then the problem is a level of compute complexity never before achieved - so I give Tesla kudos for a job well done. It's obviously software still in development. The jury is out whether they will ever make it to full FSD. I'm not sure I would once again pay that price for FSD after using it for the last year or so: seems way overpriced to me given its beta nature.
Appreciate you telling me your experience. I have seen differing opinions regarding the Y vs. X as some have said the X is leaps and bounds better regarding comfort/ride plus I would want the added cargo space. I also know I would have felt underwhelmed getting the 'lower trim' since I always had my eyes set on the X.

Appreciate you telling me your experience. I have seen differing opinions regarding the Y vs. X as some have said the X is leaps and bounds better regarding comfort/ride plus I would want the added cargo space. I also know I would have felt underwhelmed getting the 'lower trim' since I always had my eyes set on the X.
If you have driven a X then you may be disappointed with the Y. When my lease on my previous X was coming up, I did such a test drive. The Y ride is firm, almost too firm especially on bumpy roads. I drove the regular Y, and in these forums, people comment the Y Performance is even firmer.

And yes, the lack of things like a driver side display on the Y does seem a step down from the X. I notice this difference every time I drive our Model 3. And I have started to really like the yoke.

Hi everyone. Currently have a MXLR 6 seater on order with EDD 1/26 - 3/23. Was always drawn to Tesla due to me loving gadgets/tech. Also, needs to be a SUV and wife wants to start transitioning to EV. EQS, iX other potentials but want to avoid first year models and I just like the X more. Admittedly keep looking at Cayenne E-hybrid (wife cool with plugin hybrid) online but haven't gone to a showroom cause I hate that process.

Ever since I placed my order I have routinely looked at forums (here and reddit mainly) and as time has gone by I get more and more anxious about owning a model X. It seems the majority (I know this can be skewed because happy owners don't need to vent like the pissed off people do) have to deal with build quality issues on delivery and then the aftermath of dealing with the service center which also seems to be underwhelming. While I plan to be fully prepared to reject a delivery if big red flags, I am overall acceptable of some minor issues like gaps. Things like significant creaking with driving and FWD not reliably working (I'd be acceptable with 80%) would definitely give me buyers remorse.

Another thing I keep factoring in is the ability to reliably schedule a service as Tesla can switch the day on you and if you ask them to fix 3 things, only 1/3 get addressed. I cannot deal with going back and forth with servicing as my job schedule has very little wiggle room and taking time off requires notification weeks in advance.

Would recommend I proceed with the MX? Only alternative I would consider is Cayenne E-hybrid.
I know some SC are better than others so does anyone have experience with the Columbus, OH location? Looking for positive experiences to calm my nerves.

I wouldn't sweat it. You are lucky to be in Columbus. The Service Centers in this part of the country are great, Indianapolis is great as is Cincinnati. I've never used Columbus, but I would expect similar results. Personally I would never accept 80% performance from a FWD. However the FWD are rock solid reliable these days.

You should absolutely proceed with your order. You won't regret it.

We got our MX LR 2 weeks ago. A 468 day wait from July 24, 2021. Needless to say I watched videos and read all I could while waiting. Was concerned about all the quality issues - gaps, rattles, paint, quirky software, etc. My two boys (in their 30's) read a lot as well, sent me warnings, check lists for deliveries and comments "Dad, you can reject car, don't pay if problems", and so on. My wife was the most worried that there would be problems and frustrations.

Well we went to pick it up Nov 4 at the Las Vegas SC. Staff was great, walked us through the basics. And the car was incredible. Only issue were two crimped, crushed gasket areas on the top side for the FWD. Service scheduled immediately, waiting on the part, but does not affect the car - no wind noise, other air leaks we can detect.

We don't regret the purchase and try to drive every day. We are looking forward to road trips and so far are planning our 3rd 150+ mile trip this weekend.

Our previous car was a 2015 Nissan Murano (our third one), got one of the first ones delivered in Indianapolis. Immediately had door fit problems, the dealer kept the car 10 days while factory people came and reviewed and finally replaced entire interior door panels. In its first 2 weeks it had more issues than the MX. And I could go on going back in history with other cars.

So every car make can have issues. Perhaps expectations for Tesla are higher than for others, because we all like to think the tech will solve our problems. I trust that Tesla has learned a lot and has worked to improve quality. Our experience has started off great and I'd buy another. I just wouldn't like another log wait.

Reactions: croman
While I plan to be fully prepared to reject a delivery if big red flags, I am overall acceptable of some minor issues like gaps
IMO reject for anything you point out that they cannot fix on the spot (This includes some gaps! you know, BIG GAPS.) Other than that's it just like a lottery in a way. If you win - it's going to be a pure pleasure (if you don't mind the long charging time, certainly takes getting used to on long trips).

Remember for anything that you can see imperfect there's potentially much more that you cannot see, so your visible condition is the proxy for the overall car condition. My first X I run out of space on the delivery ticket for stuff to fix (I did not know better back then to reject delivery) and it was a terrible car that I had to lemon law in the end. My second one had zero complaints at delivery and zero issues while I had it (2 years). My third had some relatively minor ones (and the delivery person tried to actively shame me into accepting stuff unfixed with lines like "would this REALLY degrade your experience that the trunk liner is not properly attached?" ha! At the same time other delivery person was shaming another guy for doing the checklist) and it's much worse than the second, but much better than the first as the result. Not too many datapoints, I know.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I'm still on my first X (July 2017 that didn't sell until September 2017 and wasn't a demo, somehow came with hardware that allegedly wasn't available in July), something like 77000 miles and a bit over 5 years. I was in the service center a lot in the beginning, but it's rare now, and mobile service is able to do more and more. Based on what you say you'd tolerate and accept at delivery, I don't think you'd have any regrets at all. Regarding your schedule, so long as you can cancel time off, I think you could always push out your appointment by further if they want to reschedule you because parts don't come in or something. There's now a charge for no show / cancellation within 24 hours mentioned when scheduling in the app, but surely that wouldn't apply when they're already rescheduling you. Not getting a loaner or having a way to get to work if the X does need to be in the shop over one or more nights have always been my biggest fears, and I've been pretty lucky there except one time when it had to be towed to the shop vs me taking it in. That having been said, if you're planning to use the 3rd row full time, you might need to be wary of the third row climate control in auto if the 3rd row passengers aren't old enough to articulate and/or chill enough to tolerate any issues with it. There aren't necessarily enough complaints online to indicate they're all bad, but I don't know how many people use the third row, and I've seen enough complaints about it on the Palladiums to make me nervous based solely on my early experience pre-palladium. To be clear, I say in auto because I've had to set the temperature way low to prevent it from heating when it shouldn't (with "everything we tested is working right / in spec" from service when I tell them what has happened) after finding my kid soaked in sweat and the third row obviously hot at the end of a drive one early spring/fall day with mild outside temperatures. I also have manual fan control available, so I can control the third row manually if needed (I can't imagine that's unavailable on the new models, but I've seen someone unable to find it with no defined resolution to the thread). It's also possible my experience was a firmware issue, as it hasn't recurred in more recent memory. Additionally, the newer complaints tend to be about third row airflow in the newer models tend to be improved with service center work based on the threads I've seen, so you might take one or more grains of salt with this potential concern.

Columbus SC was good and responsive for me when I had to use them in 2020 for upper control arm on my Model 3. They had loaners available and didn't hesitate to offer even though they weren't sure if my repair would take more than same day to resolve.

Took my car in sometime around 8-9a as scheduled and got a call that it was ready around 3-4p that day.

I haven't had the need for any other service in 3 years.

I took delivery in Wexford (Pittsburgh) and they seemed good as well, although I haven't needed service during the time I was closer to that location.

IMO reject for anything you point out that they cannot fix on the spot (This includes some gaps! you know, BIG GAPS.) Other than that's it just like a lottery in a way. If you win - it's going to be a pure pleasure (if you don't mind the long charging time, certainly takes getting used to on long trips).

Remember for anything that you can see imperfect there's potentially much more that you cannot see, so your visible condition is the proxy for the overall car condition. My first X I run out of space on the delivery ticket for stuff to fix (I did not know better back then to reject delivery) and it was a terrible car that I had to lemon law in the end. My second one had zero complaints at delivery and zero issues while I had it (2 years). My third had some relatively minor ones (and the delivery person tried to actively shame me into accepting stuff unfixed with lines like "would this REALLY degrade your experience that the trunk liner is not properly attached?" ha! At the same time other delivery person was shaming another guy for doing the checklist) and it's much worse than the second, but much better than the first as the result. Not too many datapoints, I know.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
When you say "fix on the spot" does that mean they deal with issues I point out that very moment and I wait around there or leave and come back to officially take delivery once things are fixed?

By all means yes. The service centers in our part of the country are known to be top drawer. I have not dealt with Columbus specifically, but I have always had good experiences with Cincinnati and Indianapolis. I would expect same from Columbus. WRT to the Cayenne PHEV, don't forget it is a gasoline car with all the inherent disadvantages and required maintenance problems. If you are actually considering it, you might as well stay with pure ICE. The real advantage to an EV is the fact there is no gasoline required at all. Also no scheduled maintenance, ever. You take it in if something breaks, or you need tires.

Tesla is funny. They have made considerable improvements, but have also not addressed many of the other issues that plagued the pre-refresh X. I enjoy my X, but it has neither the build quality or after sale support that you would expect from a luxury car. I think the lack of attention to detail in the build quality often results in many of the issues we see today. Can you imagine any other company delivering cars without aligning them from the factory? That's insane to me.

This is why I try to post positive experiences, but then I get called a "fanboi". Well, I guess I am a fan boy. I've driven Teslas since they were first sold in California, and my daughter has had an X for years and just ordered a new one. I am on my fourth Tesla, 3 Ses and a 3 now for wifey. When compared with gas cars, there is really, really no comparison. Better torque and acceleration (never had a gas car beat me across the intersection), better mileage (a full tank, which give me 400 miles, is equivalent to THREE gallons of gasoline in energy) and they are quiet and pollution free (something we should be worrying about more these days). I've been driving electrics since 2002, and I don't ever plan to go back to gas cars. That's just another definition of crazy.

Tesla is funny. They have made considerable improvements, but have also not addressed many of the other issues that plagued the pre-refresh X. I enjoy my X, but it has neither the build quality or after sale support that you would expect from a luxury car. I think the lack of attention to detail in the build quality often results in many of the issues we see today. Can you imagine any other company delivering cars without aligning them from the factory? That's insane to me.
I wish people would quit thinking of Tesla as a "luxury car". Sure, they're expensive, but the battery pack alone costs around $30,000, or the price of a whole 'nother car. Show me a car with a $30,000 gas tank and tell me it's a "luxury car" because of it.

And yes, I have heard of cars being delivered without being aligned at the factory. My local dealer aligned mine. As to "build", I've never had any issues. ZERO. Maybe you ought to switch back to Toyotas.

This is why I try to post positive experiences, but then I get called a "fanboi". Well, I guess I am a fan boy. I've driven Teslas since they were first sold in California, and my daughter has had an X for years and just ordered a new one. I am on my fourth Tesla, 3 Ses and a 3 now for wifey. When compared with gas cars, there is really, really no comparison. Better torque and acceleration (never had a gas car beat me across the intersection), better mileage (a full tank, which give me 400 miles, is equivalent to THREE gallons of gasoline in energy) and they are quiet and pollution free (something we should be worrying about more these days). I've been driving electrics since 2002, and I don't ever plan to go back to gas cars. That's just another definition of crazy.

Nobody is disputing the X is a fast car and they have cool tech, but none of that matters when you can't get simple parts from Tesla or you have some software bug that the service center can't solve and it renders your car is inoperable. I also don't know why you keep bringing up the gas equivalent of energy.