Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest review of the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) With the yoke you can't hold the wheel above the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. On the old-style round wheel, if the airbag fires and your hands are at the upper portion, it shoots your hands into your face, usually breaking both wrists and can cause serious damage to your face and even blindness.

2) The instrument cluster is not blocked by the upper part of the steering wheel. This is less of an issue as many people can adjust the steering or seat to compensate, but not all people. And you may have to compromise your seating position to make the instrument panel fully visible with a round wheel.

3) Stalk removal is a mixed bag in my opinion. Since there are no standards on stalks, as you switch different cars/brands/models, you have the risk of doing something bad because the cars operate differently. At least with the stalks gone, this risk is reduced. I've had no problem adapting to it, but it is different. I think the automatic drive control is cool, but a work in progress. I expect it to get better. I'd estimate it's about 95% accurate when called upon, but it really should be 100%.

4) Less of a safety issue, but a Yoke advantage is it's easier to get in and out of the car. Some other manufacturers also place a flat spot on the bottom of the steering wheel for this reason.

In most negative reviews I've seen, either people have not actually used the Yoke or they use it for a few hours and go in with hate (and there are a lot of Tesla haters out there). As for tight turns in a parking lot, I can rotate the yoke as fast or faster than a conventional steering wheel - it really is easy, but it is different. I understand some can't tolerate any change and there is nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of old-style cars available. Tesla has no problems selling everything they can make to those that like what they are doing. All I can say is if you don't like it, don't buy it - but also don't write it off without really trying it. You may be pleasantly surprised as I was.
I agree on all your points except why is the variation of stalks between brands a safety risk (because of lack of standards and I agree with) but the variation of going to buttons isn’t. It’s the same thing. It’s one of the main complaints. And if another brand does come out stalkless it will surely be different.

Reactions: Mark II
2) The instrument cluster is not blocked by the upper part of the steering wheel. This is less of an issue as many people can adjust the steering or seat to compensate, but not all people. And you may have to compromise your seating position to make the instrument panel fully visible with a round wheel.
Just for reference, here’s a picture of the horribly obstructed instrument cluster in our Honda Odyssey. I guess you were right the wheel does block a bit of the dash above the instruments. Sure wish I had a better view of that. /s
523B883D-5BFE-409B-AB56-77A530292089.jpeg

Just for reference, here’s a picture of the horribly obstructed instrument cluster in our Honda Odyssey. I guess you were right the wheel does block a bit of the dash above the instruments. Sure wish I had a better view of that. /s
View attachment 809434
I guess it's nice to be short. I haven't been able to see the full instrument cluster of any car I've owned up until my Plaid. I find it refreshing.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Except it’s blocking your view of the car in front. Oops.
No, the perspective is a bit off in the photo. the dash and wipers block my view of the car in front but not the steering wheel.
I guess it's nice to be short. I haven't been able to see the full instrument cluster of any car I've owned up until my Plaid. I find it refreshing.
Short? Ha! I'm 6'5! Being shorter also moves you closer and should make the wheel less likely to obstruct. If you haven't been able to see the full instrument cluster you either have your wheel adjusted wrong or the car is poorly designed.

No, the perspective is a bit off in the photo. the dash and wipers block my view of the car in front but not the steering wheel.

If the perspective is off then your instrument cluster will be blocked.

Not to mention putting the wheel in some compromised location for best view of the road and cluster is rarely the best place ergonomically for driving.

Yoke eliminates all the compromises.

We have both 2018 S, which my wife now mostly drives, and 2022 S, which I have been driving for 2 months. Yet every time I drive the 2018, which is seldom now, it is the equivalent of someone turning off a loud noise. Yes, you get used to noise, but when it goes away you suddenly realize what has been bothering you. The Yoke and lack of stalks is basically the same. You get used to it, but it is always bothering.

To further the analogy, sometimes the noise becomes so loud you can't ignore it, e.g. when trying to turn around in a tight parking lot. I look like an idiot, in my very expensive car, fumbling with the "wheel".

We have both 2018 S, which my wife now mostly drives, and 2022 S, which I have been driving for 2 months. Yet every time I drive the 2018, which is seldom now, it is the equivalent of someone turning off a loud noise. Yes, you get used to noise, but when it goes away you suddenly realize what has been bothering you. The Yoke and lack of stalks is basically the same. You get used to it, but it is always bothering.

To further the analogy, sometimes the noise becomes so loud you can't ignore it, e.g. when trying to turn around in a tight parking lot. I look like an idiot, in my very expensive car, fumbling with the "wheel".
I switch between my wife's Volt and Model S Refresh. All muscle memory, don't even notice it.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
If the perspective is off then your instrument cluster will be blocked.

Not to mention putting the wheel in some compromised location for best view of the road and cluster is rarely the best place ergonomically for driving.

Yoke eliminates all the compromises.
Nope - I have a clear view of the entire instrument panel. The only thing that's blocked is my view of the dash above the instruments. That seems difficult for you to understand. Is it because it takes away your justification for the yoke?

It's clear you like your yoke, but it's also clear that a large number of people find it more than a little objectionable and there is no actual justification for it aside from wanting to do something different. If Tesla had at least made it an option people would have had a choice.

Reactions: Mark II and kavyboy
Nope - I have a clear view of the entire instrument panel. The only thing that's blocked is my view of the dash above the instruments. That seems difficult for you to understand. Is it because it takes away your justification for the yoke?

It's clear you like your yoke, but it's also clear that a large number of people find it more than a little objectionable and there is no actual justification for it aside from wanting to do something different. If Tesla had at least made it an option people would have had a choice.
I rarely see complaints in the delivery thread. Very rarely. I see complaints in threads like this one that either don’t own one or the 1% that won’t give up fighting it.

If by large number you mean like 10, sure I agree.

I rarely see complaints in the delivery thread. Very rarely. I see complaints in threads like this one that either don’t own one or the 1% that won’t give up fighting it.

Or people talk about delivery related stuff in a delivery thread, and then look for a thread related to the issues they find and respond there. That's what I did.

Tesla could have left the wheel and stalks, and nobody would have known different or complained. They did something controversial, and poorly, and getting justified complaints.

What they could have done:
  • Provide people a choice.
  • Implemented the yoke correctly, i.e. steer-by-wire like the Lexus.
  • Instead of eliminating the stalks they could have:
    • Blinker stalks: Put a mini stalk attached behind the steering on left for indicators. Simple up and down, nothing else.
    • Autopilot stalk: Remove it, however put a + and - button where the blinker buttons are now to adjust speed, then use wheel to adjust following distance (my biggest issue right now). The + button could also engage TACC if nothing engaged yet, and the wheel button for AP (or visa versa). I find trying to do single versus double tap of the wheel button near impossible, so right now singe tap is AP, however there are times I just want TACC.
    • Gear stalk: Same as blinker, mini stalk attached behind wheel on right
    • Wiper/light stalk: Remove it, I honestly don't need it since the auto wipers on 2022 are much better than 2018, which always needed help. The auto lights / bright / dim works just fine as well.
  • Horn: fix it already!

I must know all 10 then, at least that are on this forum. I've talked to several owners in my area and I'd say it is running about 5:1 against the yoke. Some just tolerate it but would prefer a wheel. Some like it but when asked about their driving it is mostly on the highway. I don't have an issue with it on the highway. Nor do I love it in that situation either.

They should have given us a choice especially given how half @$$ed the implementation of it was. Very little thought other than slap a yoke on it and rip off the stalks.

I can't think of a single thing the yoke implementation actually does that is better than the wheel it replaced.

Not no, that is what I did :)
I swear I’ve probably read 100+ reviews in the delivery thread. Many reviews follow up with a 2nd review after some mikes under their belt. Biggest complaint is probably the horn button.

Ok so your 1 out of the 10 loud voices against. That’s fine. You are in the minority though.

Yoke & Buttons isn’t perfect at everything. Nor is round wheel & stalks. I think the trade offs favor the yoke. I don’t over focus on the weak points. If I had a choice, I’d choose the Yoke. For cruising, Yoke & Buttons wins. I cruise way more than I do anything else behind the wheel, I mean yoke.

Maybe a good test this weekend. Will have my wife drive. She is not good with change.

Maybe a good test this weekend. Will have my wife drive. She is not good with change.
I already did that one with mine. She gave up trying to get it out of the garage. She got frustrated with the shifter and the fact one time it wanted to go forward (auto direction selection) instead of reverse.

So I got it out of the garage and she had to make a bunch of 3 point turns to make into our tight alleyway. Again she hated the gear shifter and kept going for a place on the yoke that didn't exist. Again she gave up and had me drive it to the main road. We drove for about 15 minutes and pulled over to the side of the road. Didn't even bother to look for park, unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door.

Thankfully it went to park on its own. She walked over to my side of the car and motioned for me to get out. She flat out told me she never wants to drive my car again. End of experiment. Hope yours fares better.

I think for some people there is confirmation bias with respect to the yoke. I think there is a subset that thought they would like it who don't, but won't admit publicly. Then there are some who were open and can go either way. Then there are some who were against it from the start and then warmed up. Then of course those who didn't think they wouldn't like it and never will adapt.

I can't say I wasn't really in favor of it and wanted to see how it was actually implemented and try it for a while before making a judgement. From my initial views of how it was implemented online, it definitely looked like it could have been done better. Most of those reviews focused on the yoke itself and not the other controls. For me that was an even bigger disappointment.

I have a lot of almost blind entries on to roads and the stupid gearshift design puts me at needless risk for absolutely ZERO benefit. I can't tell you how many close calls I've had with other cars including the 3. The S is just a sitting duck in this situation. Factor in how the auto direction selection can tell you to go forward even though the proximity sensors say there is something blocking and I don't know how this terrible design ever got out of alpha testing let along beta.

What was the test loop, get on the 5 as soon as you could from Palo Alto and drive to LA and turn around? I'd be fine with the yoke there.

I spend more time on motorcycles than cars, and overall a lot of time on/in both. A motorcycle basically has almost a yoke for a control. Difference is there you never need to turn more than about 20degrees at speed and never more than about 80 in tight turns. There it works great. A wheel in this instance wouldn't probably work as well. Wheel is really usefully when more than 1 turn lock to lock. Yokes/handlebars are great when less than 1 turn lock to lock. Hell, I'd take handlebars over the yoke. Increase the steering ratio, less than 1 turn lock to lock, give me a twistgrip throttle and hand brake and get the switchgear right and I'd adapt in a second. ;) in that scenario there would actually be benefits to this approach rather than the yoke we have.

I already did that one with mine. She gave up trying to get it out of the garage. She got frustrated with the shifter and the fact one time it wanted to go forward (auto direction selection) instead of reverse.

So I got it out of the garage and she had to make a bunch of 3 point turns to make into our tight alleyway. Again she hated the gear shifter and kept going for a place on the yoke that didn't exist. Again she gave up and had me drive it to the main road. We drove for about 15 minutes and pulled over to the side of the road. Didn't even bother to look for park, unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door.

Thankfully it went to park on its own. She walked over to my side of the car and motioned for me to get out. She flat out told me she never wants to drive my car again. End of experiment. Hope yours fares better.

I think for some people there is confirmation bias with respect to the yoke. I think there is a subset that thought they would like it who don't, but won't admit publicly. Then there are some who were open and can go either way. Then there are some who were against it from the start and then warmed up. Then of course those who didn't think they wouldn't like it and never will adapt.

I can't say I wasn't really in favor of it and wanted to see how it was actually implemented and try it for a while before making a judgement. From my initial views of how it was implemented online, it definitely looked like it could have been done better. Most of those reviews focused on the yoke itself and not the other controls. For me that was an even bigger disappointment.

I have a lot of almost blind entries on to roads and the stupid gearshift design puts me at needless risk for absolutely ZERO benefit. I can't tell you how many close calls I've had with other cars including the 3. The S is just a sitting duck in this situation. Factor in how the auto direction selection can tell you to go forward even though the proximity sensors say there is something blocking and I don't know how this terrible design ever got out of alpha testing let along beta.

What was the test loop, get on the 5 as soon as you could from Palo Alto and drive to LA and turn around? I'd be fine with the yoke there.

I spend more time on motorcycles than cars, and overall a lot of time on/in both. A motorcycle basically has almost a yoke for a control. Difference is there you never need to turn more than about 20degrees at speed and never more than about 80 in tight turns. There it works great. A wheel in this instance wouldn't probably work as well. Wheel is really usefully when more than 1 turn lock to lock. Yokes/handlebars are great when less than 1 turn lock to lock. Hell, I'd take handlebars over the yoke. Increase the steering ratio, less than 1 turn lock to lock, give me a twistgrip throttle and hand brake and get the switchgear right and I'd adapt in a second. ;) in that scenario there would actually be benefits to this approach rather than the yoke we have.
Poor instructor. Seriously, you set her up to fail. I will pull over in a rest area and switch sides. All she has to do is go forward. She drove the 3 and the X. She never liked the 3, but fine with the X. I shut the auto gear off, never tried it. Get her comfortable before making her do a 3 point turn. Let her appreciate the best of the best first. I’ll have her practice the blinker before we move. No auto pilot probably the first day. Let her connect with the car first.

Last edited: