Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest review of the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope didn't forget about a stick. There is actually something logical to about how it operates AND it they operate pretty much consistently across most modern cars with few minor differences. Manual gearshifts are typically located in the center console area of most modern vehicles. So very easy to go from a Mustang with a manual to a Camaro with a manual transmission. The clutch operates the same way. The same principles apply. Depress the clutch, engage gear, release clutch until you start to find the friction point, then engage more slowly at that point, so you don't pop the clutch. All these things can be done without looking in very short order as there is standardization across most companies.

The mechanism controls the range of motion and guides you. Imagine if the clutch was free form, with a very small place to actuate it, and you had to depress it within a very narrower range to activate. That would make it needlessly complicated.

Stupid implementation. If you believe the reports of the code changes to support a wheel on the S/X then obviously enough people weren't happy about it that they might actually entertain putting a wheel back in. If that isn't an admission of failure regarding it, I don't know what is. Remains to be seen if they actually follow through. Elon can be very stubborn and double down on stupid decisions too.

If the yoke was the best thing every, why isn't Porsche, Audi, BMW, MB, etc. rushing to drop one in all their cars, or even one model? Why didn't they slap that sucker on the 3/Y if so amazing?

It could be amazing IF they used non-linear steering which according to Elon is years away. So just like the snake oil FSD, we got something similar with the wheel. The ONLY objective advantage is in the current form of the yoke I see is to keep your hands at the 9 & 3 position which has benefits for airbag deployment. That may be offset by people not liking to hold the yoke that way. Not to mention you could hold the normal wheel in that same position anyway.

Again it isn't the yoke itself that I have issue with. It is how they didn't go far enough with what they should have done.

Last edited:
I have not rolled back and forth to get out of snow since owning AWD/4WD vehicles (1980's), always with snow tires (Audis, Jeeps, Teslas).
Oh and my Audis ware a sticks, I had many sticks. Try rocking a Stick back and forth, nobody complains about the perils of a stick.
Lucky you. We are talking automatic tranny’s here in 98% of all vehicles made and unfort we do get storms. There’s been instances of left lane turns and the light goes red and someone end up stuck in an intersection. Logicslly…make the turn. However many choose to reverse back quickly in a panic. Try this with a yoke and no stalks. Just see how fast the mind can quickly manage an emergency vs with a stalk or shift.

Or …Try pushing the car into neutral when you need to not brake or cut power to the wheels in instances of slipping in rain or sleet or ice.

Most of the issues I foresee are during emergencies…not day to day regular driving A to B. But isn’t that when you need quick reactions the most?

I like their summary comment, that the Yoke is "pointlessly annoying."
Yeah - that was pretty telling. And this is motor trend after spending a week with the car. It’s not like it’s people who don’t know cars or driving, or someone making a snap judgement.

@DayTrippin is right - people keep presenting well thought out, rational arguments and examples of why the yoke is a bad idea, effectively supported by expert opinion while others keep presenting straw man arguments that instantly disintegrate under any scrutiny. It’s rather telling.

And just because people can’t believe me when I said I could see my dash with my steering wheel, here’s the best comparison I have to my actual view. As I said, I’m 6’5”. My wife is 5’1” and has never had an issue seeing the dash, either. The ‘it doesn’t obstruct the dash’ excuse is nothing more than that, an excuse, not an actual reason.

Not that it matters, because it’s not really a rational discussion.

Attachments

• 68D9BBF5-B359-4EF4-B9CA-A1BDAC52F72B.jpeg
    68D9BBF5-B359-4EF4-B9CA-A1BDAC52F72B.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 58
While we’re on obstruction, for me the right side of the yoke blocks the left side of the screen, and it seems that way in every driver-centered photo I’ve seen. I’m thinking the yoke is too wide and maybe that screen is too wide. Anyone else?
That was one of my initial thoughts was it seemed too wide as well. When I first adjusted my seat, it blocked the left side of the main screen. I've found a different position and while the yoke is still wider than I'd like, it now doesn't block the screen as much. That was another plus on the Hansshow wheel, it is narrower than the yoke.

Lucky you. We are talking automatic tranny’s here in 98% of all vehicles made and unfort we do get storms. There’s been instances of left lane turns and the light goes red and someone end up stuck in an intersection. Logicslly…make the turn. However many choose to reverse back quickly in a panic. Try this with a yoke and no stalks. Just see how fast the mind can quickly manage an emergency vs with a stalk or shift.

Or …Try pushing the car into neutral when you need to not brake or cut power to the wheels in instances of slipping in rain or sleet or ice.

Most of the issues I foresee are during emergencies…not day to day regular driving A to B. But isn’t that when you need quick reactions the most?
Lucky you. Turns out you can rock the car fine with the buttons on the console. You can change gear without braking or stopping. Not as fast as many ICE automatics. But just as fast as any Tesla with stalks. Maybe faster.

You just keep digging for wilder and wilder corner cases. I never put a car neutral during Ice sliding. You certainly get yourself into a pickle a lot. Guess I’m “lucky” there too. Console buttons might work for that too though.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
That was one of my initial thoughts was it seemed too wide as well. When I first adjusted my seat, it blocked the left side of the main screen. I've found a different position and while the yoke is still wider than I'd like, it now doesn't block the screen as much. That was another plus on the Hansshow wheel, it is narrower than the yoke.
I thought Yoke was a little wide too. But it works as a nice “lever” for Auto Pilot. Just rest your hand on either lower corner (or any extremity) and AutoPilot is happy with just the weight of your hand. If it’s narrower you might find AutoPilot nagging a bit more.

Also it will take a bit more effort to pull out of AutoPilot. Right now it’s very good at both with the OEM width and might be tuned for it. I think it can be adjusted. Ask Tesla if they will adjust for your 3rd party wheel ;)

Not saying it will be a problem but something to consider that might get adversely effected.

Guess you forgot what’s involved with a stick. It’s nothing to do with finding the gear. Push clutch, change gear, pop clutch will take a lot longer than swipe to reverse. Or use the buttons on the console.
I disagree. Drove a stick most my life. I can change gears with a stick substantially faster and more reliably than my Refresh S, without needing to look down at a screen to make sure it actually a happened. Twice now I have changed gears on my Refresh, hit the pedal, only to find I was going in the wrong direction. My swipe did not take!

While we’re on obstruction, for me the right side of the yoke blocks the left side of the screen, and it seems that way in every driver-centered photo I’ve seen. I’m thinking the yoke is too wide and maybe that screen is too wide. Anyone else?
I find it very annoying, especially considering it blocks the main menu button! Personally, I prefer the vertical screen in my 2018 S.

Lucky you. Turns out you can rock the car fine with the buttons on the console. You can change gear without braking or stopping. Not as fast as many ICE automatics. But just as fast as any Tesla with stalks. Maybe faster.

You just keep digging for wilder and wilder corner cases. I never put a car neutral during Ice sliding. You certainly get yourself into a pickle a lot. Guess I’m “lucky” there too. Console buttons might work for that too though.
You said it best…’not as fast as many ice autos’. I also don’t agree the Tesla stalks would be slower in any scenario actually. I’ve tried both..hands down the stalks win for speed of gear shift AND with both hands still on the wheel. Imagine that?

‘ Eureka! What an invention..you mean I can switch gears with a flick of my finger AND keep both hands on the wheel AND keep my eyes on the road at the same time? What sorcery is this?! ‘ 😂

If the yoke was the standard for 100 yrs and all of a sudden a wheel with stalks was the new invention…it would be a reverse scenario. Functionally superior and many would applaud the move as a absolutely brilliant. Lightbulb moment for the auto industry :)

The main point is …the yoke doesn’t perform any functions as well as a traditional wheel with stalks would. Does it work? Yes. Does it work better? No. Is it new and modern/fashionable? Sure. Fashion over function I suppose.

The fact that there are countless examples of yoke owners disliking or simply accepting what it …proves a point. It’s a decent concept but not well thought out.

I drive my yoke M3 daily and switch into our wheel 2nd car daily. The wheel wins every time in ease, comfort, functionality. Again I have stalks in my M3 so for me it’s an easier transition. I’ll keep it as I enjoy a change and it’s unique for an M3. Even when I know its les functional on turns than a wheel. I’ve accepted it for its shortcomings but won’t pretend there aren’t any.

I’ve also driven my friends MS LR many times and even he agrees he’d rather have the wheel…or at least stalks…it simply was a matter of no choice given. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
I disagree. Drove a stick most my life. I can change gears with a stick substantially faster and more reliably than my Refresh S, without needing to look down at a screen to make sure it actually a happened. Twice now I have changed gears on my Refresh, hit the pedal, only to find I was going in the wrong direction. My swipe did not take!
I’m referring to the console buttons being faster than a stick (just for rocking). Because it does take time for them to wake up first. But once displayed, they are nearly instant to flip back and forth.

I have not “missed” on the screen yet. Only 2000 miles though. I have auto gear off. Also you get a distinctive tone when gear selection takes. So you do get feedback.

Another problem that’s not a problem.

You said it best…’not as fast as many ice autos’. I also don’t agree the Tesla stalks would be slower in any scenario actually. I’ve tried both..hands down the stalks win for speed of gear shift AND with both hands still on the wheel. Imagine that?

‘ Eureka! What an invention..you mean I can switch gears with a flick of my finger AND keep both hands on the wheel AND keep my eyes on the road at the same time? What sorcery is this?! ‘ 😂

If the yoke was the standard for 100 yrs and all of a sudden a wheel with stalks was the new invention…it would be a reverse scenario. Functionally superior and many would applaud the move as a absolutely brilliant. Lightbulb moment for the auto industry :)

The main point is …the yoke doesn’t perform any functions as well as a traditional wheel with stalks would. Does it work? Yes. Does it work better? No. Is it new and modern/fashionable? Sure. Fashion over function I suppose.

The fact that there are countless examples of yoke owners disliking or simply accepting what it …proves a point. It’s a decent concept but not well thought out.

I drive my yoke M3 daily and switch into our wheel 2nd car daily. The wheel wins every time in ease, comfort, functionality. Again I have stalks in my M3 so for me it’s an easier transition. I’ll keep it as I enjoy a change and it’s unique for an M3. Even when I know its les functional on turns than a wheel. I’ve accepted it for its shortcomings but won’t pretend there aren’t any.

I’ve also driven my friends MS LR many times and even he agrees he’d rather have the wheel…or at least stalks…it simply was a matter of no choice given. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yoke

Better Cluster/Road view with zero compromise on position.
I typically would like a smaller turning device (I don’t want to say Wheel or Yoke) But the Yoke Width is great for AutoPilot (a wheel that large would be to big)
Buttons are better than stalks. Could the button positions be better positioned, I think so.
Hands are in position more on yoke than wheel no jumping to horn or stalks. Even during turns (up to a point) my thumb can actually hit the blinker without the yoke being straight. Granted, not past 90 degrees or so, but superior to taking my hand off the wheel most of the time.

One down side is no sliding the wheel when unwinding. For normal driving (not parking or 3 point turns) I either push down with my index on the top notch all the way up to about 120 degrees and unwind the same. Or I lift one of the lower corners and unwind in reverse. I really thought unwinding was gonna be a big issue, turns out it’s not.

Switching to my wheeled car I don’t even notice. No deep breaths that I’m back behind a wheel and stalks. I think I did reach for a blinker button once or twice. Only thing that happens a tiny bit is it feels dated/old fashioned/clunky. Just a tiny bit.

I lost count of how many buttons are on my Chevy Volt wheel. Something like 23. I lose track forget. I think there are 3 up/down buttons on the back of one side. Some I forget what they are even for.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Yoke

Better Cluster/Road view with zero compromise on position.
I typically would like a smaller turning device (I don’t want to say Wheel or Yoke) But the Yoke Width is great for AutoPilot (a wheel that large would be to big)
Buttons are better than stalks. Could the button positions be better positioned, I think so.
Hands are in position more on yoke than wheel no jumping to horn or stalks. Even during turns (up to a point) my thumb can actually hit the blinker without the yoke being straight. Granted, not past 90 degrees or so, but superior to taking my hand off the wheel most of the time.

One down side is no sliding the wheel when unwinding. For normal driving (not parking or 3 point turns) I either push down with my index on the top notch all the way up to about 120 degrees and unwind the same. Or I lift one of the lower corners and unwind in reverse. I really thought unwinding was gonna be a big issue, turns out it’s not.

Switching to my wheeled car I don’t even notice. No deep breaths that I’m back behind a wheel and stalks. I think I did reach for a blinker button once or twice. Only thing that happens a tiny bit is it feels dated/old fashioned/clunky. Just a tiny bit.

I lost count of how many buttons are on my Chevy Volt wheel. Something like 23. I lose track forget. I think there are 3 up/down buttons on the back of one side. Some I forget what they are even for.
Now imagine gear shift by button …hmm 🤔

Buy how many of those are essential for driving (Turn signals, gear/transmission, horn?) most other cars I’ve seen have things like audio/mms and cruise control buttons, not the more fundamental controls. (I’m not saying they’re well thought out or easy to use, just that they’re not in the same category.)

Reading through the discussion on rocking the car, it’s hard to say that one would be significantly better than the other. I’ve lived in MN for 50 years and have dealt with my share of snow. Rocking a car out is necessary at times but still more of an edge case and I wouldn’t use that as a deciding factor. The yoke has enough drawbacks and flaws that you really don’t need another to help decide.

Reactions: Mark II