Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest review of the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I saw someone selling a piece that essentially completed the wheel by going over the top but I can’t be sure. I’d be concerned about it coming loose at the wrong time.

Beyond that the best option is probably to bite the bullet and pay for a complete replacement wheel.

Any accessory that can be legally attached to yoke to make turning easier in tight places? I think about the “knob” that my paralyzed brother uses, but he has a special use permit for that

No knob but there is an extension.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yoke

Better Cluster/Road view with zero compromise on position.
I typically would like a smaller turning device (I don’t want to say Wheel or Yoke) But the Yoke Width is great for AutoPilot (a wheel that large would be to big)
This is objectively false as has been shown multiple times in this thread. I have a Hansshow wheel and the top of the wheel only covers the speaker grill.
Buttons are better than stalks. Could the button positions be better positioned, I think so.
Stalks have nothing to do with the Yoke. I have a wheel with buttons.
Hands are in position more on yoke than wheel no jumping to horn or stalks. Even during turns (up to a point) my thumb can actually hit the blinker without the yoke being straight. Granted, not past 90 degrees or so, but superior to taking my hand off the wheel most of the time.
The beauty of a wheel is that it gives you options for hand placement. Everything you said above applies to a wheel. You can absolutely keep your hands at 9 and 3 with a wheel. Further, when turning with the yoke you CANNOT do that because there is literally nothing to hold onto at the 9 and 3 position when the wheel is turned. The wheel allows you to use whatever hand placement is "best" for a given situation. The yoke forces you into a 9 and 3 or pushing the yoke with your palm, during which you do not have positive control over the wheel. If you were to hit a bump mid-corner or need to quickly turn the opposite way you cannot because you have to bring your other hand up to push on the other side.

In the finest tradition of Internet keyboard warrior-ing, we are just arguing for the sake of arguing. At the end of the day, the yoke is what it is. Some love it; some hate it; some tolerate it. In the grand scheme of an S/X purchase, the cost of an aftermarket wheel is a rounding error so I wouldn't let that stop you from purchasing the car.

This is objectively false as has been shown multiple times in this thread. I have a Hansshow wheel and the top of the wheel only covers the speaker grill.

Stalks have nothing to do with the Yoke. I have a wheel with buttons.

The beauty of a wheel is that it gives you options for hand placement. Everything you said above applies to a wheel. You can absolutely keep your hands at 9 and 3 with a wheel. Further, when turning with the yoke you CANNOT do that because there is literally nothing to hold onto at the 9 and 3 position when the wheel is turned. The wheel allows you to use whatever hand placement is "best" for a given situation. The yoke forces you into a 9 and 3 or pushing the yoke with your palm, during which you do not have positive control over the wheel. If you were to hit a bump mid-corner or need to quickly turn the opposite way you cannot because you have to bring your other hand up to push on the other side.

In the finest tradition of Internet keyboard warrior-ing, we are just arguing for the sake of arguing. At the end of the day, the yoke is what it is. Some love it; some hate it; some tolerate it. In the grand scheme of an S/X purchase, the cost of an aftermarket wheel is a rounding error so I wouldn't let that stop you from purchasing the car.

For each of your points, I can find posts and personal/empirical evidence to the contrary. However, that does not mean you are wrong for you. Your last paragraph sums it up well. It is personal preference - I have proven it is a great thing with no issues and a yoke with benefits - but some have proven otherwise in their personal use or experience.

For each of your points, I can find posts and personal/empirical evidence to the contrary. However, that does not mean you are wrong for you. Your last paragraph sums it up well. It is personal preference - I have proven it is a great thing with no issues and a yoke with benefits - but some have proven otherwise in their personal use or experience.
I agree and will add that people should just give the yoke time. They may find that it is fine and perhaps they even prefer it.

Many people who were attached to the keyboard in their blackberry were violently against a flat screen. They nearly all later found out that they didn’t need a key board. I think the same will be true here.

I hated the yoke at first. I posted at length in other threads about the reasons I hated it — mostly because it didn’t allow me to have the wheel unwind from a turn through my loose grip. I looked into pre ordering a replacement wheel but they weren’t available at the time. Meanwhile I forgot about ordering the wheel when it came available (they never emailed me) and then I got used to the yoke and even though I have yokes and wheels that I drive I find the yoke is just fine and even prefer it especially for highway drives.

Another person in the household adopted quite easily to the yoke as well with no complaints at all.

Many people will find that it is fine if they give it at least a few weeks or months.

I am patiently waiting for my wheel from Hansshow to arrive so I can replace the yoke. It is out for delivery and I am pretty excited. It was only 2 weeks from order to delivery (if it shows up today). I don't know when I'll have time to swap it but I can't wait to put the yoke behind me so to speak.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, I know Hayseed is tired of it, but there is a right way and something other than the right way to do something. Maybe there are several right ways to do something however Tesla didn't get it right. If they fix it, I might come back to the yoke.

As I've mentioned in several other posts, if Tesla got it right, I wouldn't be complaining. Normal driving on the freeway the yoke isn't an issue. Wait until you respond to an emergency situation and you turn the yoke past about 90 degrees and go to grab the "wheel" where it doesn't exist. We all have muscle memory. It comes into play here. If they had setup the wheel with variable ratio steering you would never have to turn it more than about 90 degrees. Why retrain my muscle memory for no benefit? I drive 2 other cars on a daily basis. They constantly remind me as well what a bad decision it was to remove the stalks.

I've adapted to likely more vehicles and control inputs than likely most people here. There is a possibility albeit slim, that someone here has had more experience with different control inputs for vehicles than me but it is is very slim. Tesla clearly could have done a better job. They just phoned it with almost something a 10th grader in shop class would do. "Wow teach, let's just through a yoke on there. It would look really cool! We wouldn't have to change anything to do it. Who needs a horn button in the center anyway." As least Lexus has learned from Tesla's mistakes from first glance.

For those who are interested, here is a photo of my Hansshow wheel. I did the Napa leather with heat. I didn't want any stripes at TDC or it would drive me crazy if the alignment is every off, or the wheel isn't centered as it should be. The wheel itself feels very nice. I don't know if I'll have time to install it this week but it will bug me until I do... I'll wait to see if this how this pans out before doing something about the stalks.

Hansshow Steering Wheel.jpeg

Well, I for one am patiently waiting to buy my next Model S so I can get the yoke. It's amazing that so many people who never had a problem switching from riding a bike to driving a car can't POSSIBLY figure out how to drive a yoke. "Oh, but it's so HARD!" "My hands don't know where to go when I turn!" You know, caterpillar tractor drivers don't have any steering wheel, just levers. "I could never drive one of those!" Give me a break. Most of what I read is just made-up drivel because someone can't picture themselves doing it, while others happily change over with ease. I'm 78, and I can't imagine that I'd have any problem at all driving a yoke, but then again, I've been blessed with a functioning brain.
umm...driving a car is nothing like riding a bike. It's also nothing like driving a caterpillar tractor. The fact that I actually have to point that out means the point is probably lost, though.