Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honeymoon period (boost and acceleration in general)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always just go test drive a P100D, you don't have to buy it....

FWIW I had a 24 hour test drive of one prior to getting my 3, and while the acceleration impressed a lot of people, many described it as physically unpleasant- with one co-worker complaining several days later their neck still hurt.

Reactions: BlindPass

FWIW I had a 24 hour test drive of one prior to getting my 3, and while the acceleration impressed a lot of people, many described it as physically unpleasant- with one co-worker complaining several days later their neck still hurt.
Much better for the driver that knows when it’s coming than the passengers!

I recommend anyone test a S Performance particularly those not knowledgeable of EVs. Its nearly nauseating acceleration will recalibrate how one views drivetrain performance.

I like amusement rides, so for me it’s worth it, although admittedly the extra acceleration has no practical value. The LR and M3P are more pleasurable launches, just not as impressive.

I hope someday I can drive the new roadster. I feel a nice uneasiness with Ludicrous (I don’t use launch mode/ludicrous +), but below 1.9 may be too much of a good thing.

Reactions: Siciliano

If I test drive that car I will end up buying it lol and after really considering both cars, I found the S to be too "boaty". I'm really appreciating the nimbleness of the 3. While I greatly miss my S7, that was one of the reasons I didn't like it anymore...I find myself not loving larger cars. Also the legroom in the back was absolutely horrible, despite it being a larger car.

The 3 is the best of both worlds IMO - my son can actually comfortably fit behind me with my seat back as far as I want it (I like to sit far back), and it's fast enough (for now).

My next one will likely be whenever a faster version of the P is released, hopefully something "ludicrously" fast. There's just not that much of a difference right now for me to even bother with trading it in and throwing away at least $10k.

I've had some really fast cars like a Z06 and the S7 w/tune and I've driven some really fast cars - my business partner has had a few different competition BMW M3s, and a FAST viper GTS which I drove all the time...but really when it comes down to it, this is fast enough for now. I'm just going to continue to intermittently drive in ICE cars and use chill mode every now and then to temper my unreasonable desire for warp speed. :D

and while the acceleration impressed a lot of people, many described it as physically unpleasant

...but really when it comes down to it, this is fast enough for now.

These two statements sum up my thinking at this point. I've never driven a Performance Model 3. I've only driven a LR AWD Model 3, one on a test drive, and mine. The first time I mashed the accelerator it bordered on making me nauseous. You do acclimate to it though.

On test drives with friends I've had to be careful because people aren't used to the type of acceleration these cars have. It either scares them, or they become physically uncomfortable (nauseous). I did a launch from a stop for a friend, so he knew what was coming, then shortly after that I punched it at around 25 mph. I looked over at him and could tell he was uncomfortable. I said, "I won't do that again," and he said, "please don't."

I've owned two 5.0 Mustangs and drag raced them a little bit. Although I had them set up so that they were pretty quick for their time period, a mid 12 to high 11 second car like the LR AWD is worlds apart from a high 13 to low 14 second car. A lot of people have no experience at all with cars that can reach the 11s because this just wasn't attainable to the average person until recently. So they have no idea how it feels or how they will react to it.

So at 50 years old, I've decided that my LR AWD is enough. The car is so much faster than anything I dreamed I'd be able to own in my lifetime. When I was a teenager the quest for an 11 second car involved either multiple tens of thousands of dollars (we're talking 1980s dollars), or hundreds of hours in a shop tuning and turning wrenches. I like knowing that for $2k it could be faster. And some day I might splurge for the boost. But for how I drive the car and enjoy it, reality tells me that what I currently have is more than enough.

• Love
Reactions: Siciliano