TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hong Kong 3G telematics

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by capt666, Aug 15, 2014.

1. capt666

capt666 Member

Anyone noticed that all our data is being channeled through a German proxy server or something? go to http://www.whatismyip.com and you will get the below image. It says we have a German IP and I have noticed whenever I start the web browser and go to Google, it automatically detects that I am from Germany and the Google interface is in German language.

(I am no IT expert, just wondering if anyone knows what this all means)

photo.JPG

2. shanghai_knight

I was told our SIM cards are European cards that roaming on PCCW in HK. That's why it's sooooo slow (less than 100kb/s)

3. capt666

capt666 Member

Really? Doesn't it cost them more to have an EU SIM and roam to HK? Are we allow to put in our own to speed things up?

Lately, whilst listing on the internet radio or steaming from the Rdio service, I noticed the buffering more than the first few days when we got the car (even during the middle of playing, it cuts out a lot)

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

People on the EU forum complaining also. UK cars are showing up as Spain.

5. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Wow I think in Japan they work with NTT DoCoMo, and I hope our proxy go through the U.S. rather than Germany.

6. Alipapa

Alipapa Member

yes i found that out when i visited some multi language web site
    And i thought it was the browser

7. 420weblazeit

420weblazeit Banned

So you could... import from UK and save money? Do European SIMs roam in any other country because I'm thinking of buying a Tesla that I could take on world-wide travels and the 3G would work in all or most locations, which one is best?

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

#8 markwj, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Bottom line is that currently the sim comes with the car, and is controlled by Tesla. No choice. If you want to roam, the solution seems to be to get a mobile hotspot wifi and tell the car to use that.

9. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

As far as I know if the SIM roams, it uses the APN (access point number) of that original operator, thus the IP traffic flows from the phone, the roamed operator, the original (contract) operator and finally the Internet. No?

10. shanghai_knight

The sim card is accessible, and most likely replaceable with a local sim. It's hidden in a small module under the glass compartment under the 17 inch screen, but do not suggest to operate this on your own. Also heard the cell module is factory upgradeable (to LTE/4G etc) in the future.

11. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Cool! But I guess just replacing SIM won't work as the software would need to call a specific APN to connect IP. APN usually is in the software and has authentication, and only the operator can auth the packets. Change SIM, you need to change APN too.