Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Meet-Up - Sunday 15th May 2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I don't care if it costs twice as much money to charge the Roadster in a hot environment. It costs me 10 times as much money to fill my Mercedes G55 (which has about the same range as the Roadster) so I'm already so far ahead that hot weather isn't really a problem.

Honestly, I don't care if it costs twice as much money to charge the Roadster in a hot environment. It costs me 10 times as much money to fill my Mercedes G55 (which has about the same range as the Roadster) so I'm already so far ahead that hot weather isn't really a problem.

Zack. Yep. I'm about 1/4 the driving cost of my Prius, and 1/10 the Land Rover that preceded that.

The question, though, is whether switching to 70amp (or 32amp) charging, from 13amp, would make a difference. It looks like it does.

It seems very logical that it's less money overall to charge at a higher rate. The car will always need a minimum fixed amount of current to operate the charging system properly, so the less time you have to run the charger, the less overall cost to charge. Hence, higher current charging is more efficient.