Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
Tesla releases Hong Kong pricing.

HK$579,000 for a base 60kWh Model S.

That is US$74,230 @7.8 rate, or about US$3,160 above US base price. Difference presumably covers shipping and slight changes to the spec for local homologation.

Congrats, Tesla. That's a fair price.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

< Mod note: I know there is another thread started for this, but that is now full of speculation. I thought it best to start a new one now that the actual pricing has been released. Feel free to merge if you think otherwise. >

- - - Updated - - -

Back in December 2012, I estimated costs:

My config:
- 60kWh base: HK$530,268
- Panaromic Sunroof: HK$11,775
- Nappa Leather: HK$11,775
- Tech Package: HK$29,438
- Active Air Suspension: HK$11,775
- Rear Facing Seats: HK$11,775
for a total of HK$606,805.

Interesting to now see the actual prices:
- 60kWh base: HK$579,000
- Panaromic Sunroof: HK$19,400
- Nappa Leather: HK$11,600
- Tech Package: HK$29,100
- Active Air Suspension: HK$17,500
- Rear Facing Seats: (unavailable)
for a total of HK$656,600.

The difference is mostly taken up by transportation+homologation, plus the US price increases over the past year or so. For early reservation holders in Hong Kong, I seem to remember that we were offered a contra on that price increase, but need to look up and see how much and the other conditions on that.

Very very competitive to BMW/Mercedes/etc, and a very fair price. Overall, I'm happy and the pricing may allow me to squeeze in a few options. It is interesting to see the supercharging option being offered here, and a commitment to rollout a supercharging network in Hong Kong.

Overall, I am really happy about this. Now, all we need to do is ensure that the FRT waiver survives budget.

Price Comparisons

Some price comparisons (all base versions except for maxed out P85+):

• HK$554,000 BMW 320iA M Sport Edition
  • HK$559,900 BMW 520iA Executive
  • HK$579,000 Tesla 60kWh Model S base
  • HK$659,000 Mercedes E 250 Sport FL
  • HK$742,000 BMW X5 xDrive30d
  • HK$839,000 Tesla P85+ Model S base
  • HK$893,000 Mercedes E 400 Elegance F
  • HK$1,009,700 Tesla P85+ Model S maxed-out with every option
  • HK$1,070,000 Tesla Roadster base
  • HK$1,078,000 Mercedes E 500 Elegance FL
  • HK$1,228,000 BMW 730LiA Vantage
  • HK$1,756,000 BMW M5

BMW Concessionaires (HK) Ltd. Pricing
Mercedes-Benz Hong Kong - Benz - Hong Kong Auto - Price List
Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Wow first Asian right hand drive pricing! For the S85 that comes to 100000.00 Australian dollars give or take! If it comes in at that price here, I will be a very happy camper!

At this point, I think it is safe to assume that for Australia it is going to be +US$3,500 for shipping, then a reasonable exchange rate, plus taxes.

汽車首次登記稅系統

30/01/2014

2014/15 Budget Day Arrangements

This year, the 2014/2015 Budget Day will fall on 26 February 2014. You are advised to pay attention to the Financial Secretary's announcement on the day with regard to any fiscal changes including the First Registration Tax of vehicles. If you wish to collect the Notification of Provisional Tax Value for related vehicles issued by the Customs before the Budget Day, please submit the relevant applications before the following dates -

汽車首次登記稅系統

30/01/2014

2014/15 Budget Day Arrangements

This year, the 2014/2015 Budget Day will fall on 26 February 2014. You are advised to pay attention to the Financial Secretary's announcement on the day with regard to any fiscal changes including the First Registration Tax of vehicles. If you wish to collect the Notification of Provisional Tax Value for related vehicles issued by the Customs before the Budget Day, please submit the relevant applications before the following dates -

Which means, wait for John Tsang's speech?

Which means, wait for John Tsang's speech?

Depends if you a gambling man.

Last time they increased FRT, it was a mess and they ended up having to allow anyone who had ordered a car but not yet taken delivery to get the previous lower rate. But, that was a FRT increase. The situation for the waiver is clearer - it has a defined expiry date.

Depends if you a gambling man.

Last time they increased FRT, it was a mess and they ended up having to allow anyone who had ordered a car but not yet taken delivery to get the previous lower rate. But, that was a FRT increase. The situation for the waiver is clearer - it has a defined expiry date.

Could there be anything related that Tesla wants us to confirm configuration and order by 23rd Feb, you think?

Could there be anything related that Tesla wants us to confirm configuration and order by 23rd Feb, you think?

I was told we had 'a few weeks' to confirm, not to delay delivery. I think US had a month or so.

I don't think it is in Tesla's interest to get a load of confirmed orders and then have a bunch of people try to back out.

I was told we had 'a few weeks' to confirm, not to delay delivery. I think US had a month or so.

I don't think it is in Tesla's interest to get a load of confirmed orders and then have a bunch of people try to back out.

I've just posted a captured image from my email in another post. I'm sharing it here again.

Capture (1).PNG

I have pressed "Confirmed" and now I'm freaked, because if FRT isn't waived, I won't be able to afford this car.

I've just posted a captured image from my email in another post. I'm sharing it here again.

View attachment 42994

I have pressed "Confirmed" and now I'm freaked, because if FRT isn't waived, I won't be able to afford this car.

Did you just order today? Or go through the confirmation process for a previous registration? Signature or production?

Can you share the reasons behind your configuration choices?

P.S. Interesting piece from Ms Loh in today's scmp talking about roadside pollution and how government is doing so much to reduce it by 2020. Hard for them to cancel EV incentives while pushing that agenda.

Did you just order today? Or go through the confirmation process for a previous registration? Signature or production?

Can you share the reasons behind your configuration choices?

P.S. Interesting piece from Ms Loh in today's scmp talking about roadside pollution and how government is doing so much to reduce it by 2020. Hard for them to cancel EV incentives while pushing that agenda.

Ordered a few months ago, paid $39k deposit. Confirmed today by mistake as I thought it was to save my design. What is signature or production? Mine is a 60kWh. Wanted Rear Facing seats but not offered.

In Hong Kong, packing sensors is a must, which inevitably requires tech package.

Supercharger is for the future. No idea what Dual chargers can do, but I guess it isn't too expensive to have and it might be useful for standard 13A charging.

Sunroof is the Model S signature, another must-have.

Could you explain what you mean by signature or production?

Ordered a few months ago, paid $39k deposit. Confirmed today by mistake as I thought it was to save my design. What is signature or production? Mine is a 60kWh. Wanted Rear Facing seats but not offered.

In Hong Kong, packing sensors is a must, which inevitably requires tech package.

Supercharger is for the future. No idea what Dual chargers can do, but I guess it isn't too expensive to have and it might be useful for standard 13A charging.

Sunroof is the Model S signature, another must-have.

Could you explain what you mean by signature or production?

Signature cars are high-spec, limited number, early delivery. They will be the first to get the cars, but pay more. All signatures are 85kWh packs.

A single charger allows charging up to 40A, and dual charger up to 80A. 220V 40A is a lot of power, and sufficient for most of HK. 13A @220V is 13x0.220 = 2.86kW.

Signature cars are high-spec, limited number, early delivery. They will be the first to get the cars, but pay more. All signatures are 85kWh packs.

A single charger allows charging up to 40A, and dual charger up to 80A. 220V 40A is a lot of power, and sufficient for most of HK. 13A @220V is 13x0.220 = 2.86kW.

So I guess I have answered the signature / production question.

Thanks for the info on dual charger. Does that mean I shouldn't have got the dual charger if I am mainly planning to charge in public carparks because they won't even have 40A ?

Thanks for the info on dual charger. Does that mean I shouldn't have got the dual charger if I am mainly planning to charge in public carparks because they won't even have 40A ?

Most are 13A.

Some (will) have 32A.

>40A is very rare, but 80A can charge the car in 4.x hours.

I have 80A at home, and a wall charger, but I'm still considering whether dual chargers are necessary.

Did some back-of-the-envelope calculations of the affect of FRT waiver.

Base 60kWh Model S

With 100% FRT waiver: HK$579,000

Without any FRT waiver:
HK$579,000
+ 40% of the first $150,000 = HK$60,000
+ 75% of the next $150,000 = HK$112,500
+ 100% of the next $200,000 = HK$200,000
+ 115% of the remainder = HK$90,850
= HK$1,042,350

With an equivalent FRT concession to 'fuel efficient vehicles':
HK$579,000
+ FRT
- Concession capped at HK$75,000
= HK$967,350

Tesla Says:

FIRST REGISTRATION TAX WAIVER

First Registration Tax in Hong Kong is currently waived for electric vehicles. Assuming this waiver is extended for the next fiscal year, Model S owners will realize upfront savings of at least HK$463,350 on Model S 60kWh to at least HK$673,570 for Model S Performance 85. In addition, annual registration fees are much lower than the alternatives. While similar vehicles would require annual registration fees of at least HK$5,794 to as much as HK$11,329, we anticipate Model S annual registration fees to be at least 75 percent lower on average.

Changes the pricing picture quite a bit (not to mention comparison table against BMW/Mercedes).

:scared:

Private cars
a. the first $150,000 of taxable value 40%
b. on the next $150,000 75%
c. on the next $200,000 100%
d. on the remainder 115%

lx3h, I agree with what Mark says. I was also considering whether to get the Dual Chargers/HPWC combo on the other post "What specs are you planning?", but realised that it is not really needed if you only drive under 100km everyday on average within HK. If your plan is to leave it charging overnight every night at your residence or estate parking space, then with a 220V 13A outlet the charging rate is about 16km/h, or with a 220V 32V outlet it is about 41km/h, so only several hours of charging until your battery is full and ready every morning.

Apart from the future Supercharger stations Tesla will be building in HK, there're a few CHAdeMO 50kW charging stations out there already which utilise DC instead of AC so it won't matter yours is Dual or Single.

Also, I think you can purchase the Dual Chargers/HPWC from Tesla anytime if you ever need one in the future, although might be a little more expensive.

lx3h, I agree with what Mark says. I was also considering whether to get the Dual Chargers/HPWC combo on the other post "What specs are you planning?", but realised that it is not really needed if you only drive under 100km everyday on average within HK. If your plan is to leave it charging overnight every night at your residence or estate parking space, then with a 220V 13A outlet the charging rate is about 16km/h, or with a 220V 32V outlet it is about 41km/h, so only several hours of charging until your battery is full and ready every morning.

Apart from the future Supercharger stations Tesla will be building in HK, there're a few CHAdeMO 50kW charging stations out there already which utilise DC instead of AC so it won't matter yours is Dual or Single.

Also, I think you can purchase the Dual Chargers/HPWC from Tesla anytime if you ever need one in the future, although might be a little more expensive.

A Tesla staff called just now, and I asked all together. He told me to write to [email protected] to state the change in my configuration. I have decided to opt out of the Dual Charger after hearing what Mark said. Thanks Mark.