Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick question about using e-charge facilities here in HKG. Although the units offer the choice of 16A and 32A, and I choose 32A on the e-charge unit, the MX charging screen only allows me to select 16A. My charging rate is therefore 45 km/hr. Is this typical? Am I doing something wrong and how can I access the higher 32A charging rate?

A quick question about using e-charge facilities here in HKG. Although the units offer the choice of 16A and 32A, and I choose 32A on the e-charge unit, the MX charging screen only allows me to select 16A. My charging rate is therefore 45 km/hr. Is this typical? Am I doing something wrong and how can I access the higher 32A charging rate?

Depends on the specific car you have, and charger configuration. For X with standard charger, 3 phase 16A is the limit (total 48A).

Depends on the specific car you have, and charger configuration. For X with standard charger, 3 phase 16A is the limit (total 48A).
Thanks for the answer. Can I clarify.....I didn't purchase any enhanced charging options with the X, so I presume that the 16A 3 phase charging is what I am seeing when I am getting 45km per hour? Reason I ask is that when I purchased the car, I remember there was like a HKD12k option that would facilitate faster charging (I'm not talking about the Chademo adaptor). I seem to recall that it was a software feature. But when I looked at the configurator I no longer see it as an option.

Yes, with the base X charging system you will get 48A limit when AC charging. 3x16A.

I've been trying to figure out the use of the high amperage charger upgrade in my new S - would my car be able to charge at 3-phase 32A (3x32A) on the stations punter mentioned that offer both 16 or 32A choices? Or is it a 72A max as with the rest of the world, ergo 3x24A?

Haven't run into any so far in HK personally, but will keep an eye out...

I've been trying to figure out the use of the high amperage charger upgrade in my new S - would my car be able to charge at 3-phase 32A (3x32A) on the stations punter mentioned that offer both 16 or 32A choices? Or is it a 72A max as with the rest of the world, ergo 3x24A?

Haven't run into any so far in HK personally, but will keep an eye out...

North America is different, I think. Not sure if you even have three phase support?

Does anybody out there experience reliability problems when charging at the Star Ferry charge points? I'm talking about the "medium charging" setting, which should give about 25km per hour. I find it works only 50% of the time, and then I need to opt for the 8km per hour normal plug in option instead. Thoughts? Experiences to share?

Does anybody out there experience reliability problems when charging at the Star Ferry charge points? I'm talking about the "medium charging" setting, which should give about 25km per hour. I find it works only 50% of the time, and then I need to opt for the 8km per hour normal plug in option instead. Thoughts? Experiences to share?

Star Ferry medium chargers (green ones) are a hit or miss for me too.