Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3-phase charging:
Was at the Tsuen Wan showroom yesterday and have been told the HK model has the same specs as the European version. It will be 3-phase charging capable, but 3-phase charging will most probably be locked by software initially and might be allowed with a software upgrade at a later stage.
Nobody could explain me why they want to lock it. Can't understand the logic behind it.

View attachment Wall_Connector_Install_Guide_HK_FINAL_DRAFT.pdf

Also the good news Tesla HK's service team have reached an agreement to upgrade 100 of the existing chargers at various Govt carparks to the IEC62196 standard by June this year. This is fantastic news as it means that a good 10% of public chargers will be able to support Model S. They will also have Superchargers (of course) and, Chamedo (pending approval).

As they say in the classics, "Lookin' good....lookin' good..."

Last edited:
Does anyone know abt if tesla has solution for apartment building charging? My apartment building has a few 13A charging ports similar to the ones for appliances at home, but looking through this forum, it seems there is currently no option for such charging for tesla model s. Am i correct? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

100 chargers in the short term plus superchargers. It is also possible that a decision will be made by EMSD to set a standard charge port for HK. It could easily be type 2 if they are prepared to change 100 charge spots to it. They seem to be prepared to suffer the loss of some people who really can't convince their complex to install their home wall connector.

Last edited:
Let me try to take some photos and post them here.

According to The Link web page, there are about 8 car parks in Hong Kong with BYD chargers..... Here are the photos
BYD_1.jpg

BYD_2.jpg

BYD_3.jpg

BYD_4.jpg

BYD_5.jpg

Those are nice high powered EVSEs - 40 kW capability. This BYD unit outputs AC at up to 400V.

The European spec. Tesla can accept this voltage/amperage as input, except it'll limit power to a maximum of 22 kW (if you have dual chargers) or 11 kW if you only have a single charger in the car.

The physical plug is a Mennekes 62196, which is compatible with the Tesla.

But the part I still can't figure out is what signalling this EVSE uses. Given the lack of clarity I've found in my on-line research, I think the best answer is to try it! It might be compatible, it might not.

----

Update - the more I think about it (and another forum board member here concurs on PM) I think it highly likely that the Tesla will be compatible with this EVSE. And assuming you can use them (you'll have to figure out who can use them and how, if there is a payment system), then that would give you a reason to get the dual chargers in the car. With this EVSE, a single charger would allow you to add 55 km of range per hour, and dual chargers would allow you to recover 110 km of range per hour. Given Hong Kong's small size, this may not matter much in Hong Hong, but if you drive to the mainland, maybe there will be BYD chargers there to take advantage of.

Last edited:
Beware that there's a Chinese standard GB 20234.2 which looks a lot like the IEC 62196 type 2 connector, but is at least slightly different - connector manufacturers sell two different parts for the two standards.

I haven't been able to find a sufficiently technical description to say how interoperable they are.